ActionAnt

How to get the Universal iPod Dock to play video

Hi Folks

I have the universal iPod Dock with the Audio and Component video cables, but for some reason I am not able to see the video play on my TV.

I know my cables are connected to the right inputs.

Are there some limitations on the ipod as to what it sends over the Component video cables? The sound plays fine.

I have the 120Gb ipod Classic and have tried to play video podcasts with no success.

I was hoping to actually get the same kind of interface displayed on my TV as I would in Front Row (effectively using my ipod as an Apple TV).

Could anybody help me out?

Thanks

Anton

Is it the latest release of the Universal dock or an older one? At some point, Apple inserted a chip in the dock that makes you have to use it with Apple only cables. If that is not the issue, keep playing with it. I have found that I always have to monkey with it to get mine going ( restarting iPod, setting set in the correct order, etc. ) Also, go to the Dock manual and follow the instructions step by step exactly ( That's what I finally had to do the first time ).

As far as an interface on your TV, sorry ... the video will play, but all interface display still has to be done through the iPod screen ( you can use an Apple remote to pause and play, FF etc but that is it ).

That probably doesn't help much, but at least it might explain things.

Is it the latest release of the Universal dock or an older one? At some point, Apple inserted a chip in the dock that makes you have to use it with Apple only cables. If that is not the issue, keep playing with it. I have found that I always have to monkey with it to get mine going ( restarting iPod, setting set in the correct order, etc. ) Also, go to the Dock manual and follow the instructions step by step exactly ( That's what I finally had to do the first time ).

As far as an interface on your TV, sorry ... the video will play, but all interface display still has to be done through the iPod screen ( you can use an Apple remote to pause and play, FF etc but that is it ).

That probably doesn't help much, but at least it might explain things.

I got the newest dock and cables. All OEM Apple products.

I can't remember if I got a manual with mine.. will have to check. Or I probably just through the manual away, thinking who needs a manual for an ipod dock...

Is there by any chance an online manual that I can download?

I'll keep playing around thanks. Pity about the interface thing though. that would have been a nice touch.

Just got to the Apple support site ... they will have a PDF manual available for viewing and/or download. Also check the iPod manuals ... they might have something about it that you missed.