shooter2jim

New announcements

Ok, so no camera, still or video, for the Touch. How screwed up is this strategy? I was all prepared with credit card in hand, to shell out $400 for a new Touch with camera. That dangling carrot turned into a stick in the form of the new nano which seems to be Apple's new golden child. I like the product, don't get me wrong, but it's not a Touch. After a disappointing 2 year stint with AT&T, I'm back to being a die-hard Verizon fan for cell service, and because I have to have a cell for my job, I'm preferring to stay with better phone service than grabbing an iPhone. So instead of Apple getting another $400 from me (I recently bought a new Touch after mine was stolen), they're either going to get $179.... that is if I do decide that carrying 3 devices around all the time is not a bad option. OR, because my Verizon phone already has a fine video and still camera, Apple may get nothing from me instead. HELLO.......??? APPLE??? ANYONE LISTENING??? Why not disable the cell circuitry in an iPhone 3gs and sell it as a Touch with video? Wow, how hard would that be?? No new product development costs, little or no advertising costs... and they pick up a whole bunch of photo/video nuts like me who are still (impatiently) waiting for a Verizon iPhone.

I agree that it is disappointing. I was going to be very tempted if the iPod touch came with a camera. They are going to sell a gazillion nanos this Christmas, though. The addition of the FM radio and video camera are quite compelling.

Low on the annoyance scale but... if you right-click on an audio Podcast in iTunes 9 you no longer see the options "Mark as New" and "Mark as not New" (give or take a capital letter) but "Mark as Not Watched" and "Mark as Watched" ...which is as stupid as a very stupid thing indeed - as Blackadder would probably say.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

One thing I'm really, really liking with iTunes 9/3.1.1 on the iPod touch is the ability to sync individual TV episodes instead of having to choose, say all 3 episodes of a show. Excellent for customizing things for little kids when going on road trips!

another itunes 9 annoyance that i just discovered... clicking the green minimize button in the corner no longer gives the ability to have a nice small compact itunes controller that you can tuck away on the corner of your screen :( wth?

Edited by sleepingmac

No, they've just corrected the behaviour to match the rest of the OS. Look under the View menu and you will find what you're looking for...

since this seems to be the place to complain about the new changes, I will throw my 2 cents in regarding itunes 9. As a designer I appreciate the effort to clean up the layout of the store and I believe they succeeded with the home page (the old version was getting very busy), but the pages where you actually buy music are a HUGE step backwards from a design standpoint. Much more difficult to read and lacks a clear hierarchy. itunes 8 used to mimic the look of the finder, which was great, but 9 seems to have done away with this for some reason.

Low on the annoyance scale but... if you right-click on an audio Podcast in iTunes 9 you no longer see the options "Mark as New" and "Mark as not New" (give or take a capital letter) but "Mark as Not Watched" and "Mark as Watched" ...which is as stupid as a very stupid thing indeed - as Blackadder would probably say.

Maybe "Mark as Played" would be a better terminology, but I have to say that "Mark as Watched" makes much more sense to me than "Mark as New"

That sounds better to me and I've told Apple via their Feedback service so...

If you right-click on an audio Podcast in iTunes 9 you no longer see the options "Mark as New" and "Mark as not New" (give or take a capital letter) but "Mark as Not Watched" and "Mark as Watched". This is wrong - i.e. for audio - and you should use something like "Mark as Played" and "Mark as Unplayed" as such would cover both audio and video Podcasts.

...even though it doesn't know about iTunes 9 - i.e. in the drop-down field under "What iTunes version are you running?".

No, they've just corrected the behaviour to match the rest of the OS. Look under the View menu and you will find what you're looking for...

ahh i should have checked that... thanks! happy again cuz i use that feature a lot :rolleyes:

ahh i should have checked that... thanks! happy again cuz i use that feature a lot :rolleyes:

You can also hold down the 'option' key when clicking the green button and it will toggle the Mini-player on and off like the old way.

Apple Geek

One improvement in iTunes 9 is that you don't have to use Option-W to close an information window spawned from a Podcast - it no longer being attached to the top of the application and is fully-resizable - also having buttons. Having said that if one uses Expose to show all windows then it disappears... hardly a show-stopper but if that's a design fault (as it strikes me as being) then let me know and I'll report that as well.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

You can also hold down the 'option' key when clicking the green button and it will toggle the Mini-player on and off like the old way.

Apple Geek

just heard adam mention this on the show. thanks apple geek.

Good news! iTunes 9.0.1 was released today and among many of the improvements, it now restores the old functionality of the green "zoom" button - now it toggles the mini-player just like before!

Apple Geek

Good news! iTunes 9.0.1 was released today and among many of the improvements, it now restores the old functionality of the green "zoom" button - now it toggles the mini-player just like before!

Apple Geek

interesting... guess they got a lot of negative feedback on that. but im happy its back

If you right-click on an audio Podcast in iTunes 9 you no longer see the options "Mark as New" and "Mark as not New" (give or take a capital letter) but "Mark as Not Watched" and "Mark as Watched". This is wrong - i.e. for audio - and you should use something like "Mark as Played" and "Mark as Unplayed" as such would cover both audio and video Podcasts.

Fixed in version 9.1.

Fixed in version 9.1.

On individual podcast episodes, yes. But now, I no longer have the option or right-clicking on an entire podcast and telling iTunes not to auto-delete. I have a few podcasts that I keep archives of, and I used to be able to right-click on the main listing for those podcasts and select "do not auto delete." now I have to go to each individual episode and do this. Major nuisance.

I think you missed something. Simply select the main listing, then click on the settings button at the bottom, of the iTunes window. This opens a dialog box for that particular podcast. Simply make sure that "Use Default Settings" is not checked and then select " All Episodes " for the "Episodes to keep" option. This effectively turns off Auto-Delete for any episodes of that podcast. A couple more steps than it used to be but at least you don't have to select each individual episode. Only reason I know this is that is always the way I set my podcasts .... I never knew about the right click option until you mentioned it LOL