rickt42uk

Is there any way to use an iPod nano 5G with older Macs?

I am looking to get a new iPod nano to replace my Mum's Third Generation iPod. However, she has an older iMac G4 with USB 1.1 ports. Is it possible to make the iPod nano work on this machine? Is it possible to get an adaptor to connect the device to either the FireWire or Ethernet port? Or can the iPod be fooled into thinking the USB 1.1 port is actually a USB 2.0 port? She really doesn't care if syncing is slow.

If anyone has an iPod nano 4G or 5G, and an older Mac, can they test to see if the device is recognised?

From what I understand of the USB spec it should work just fine, although quite a bit slower than you would with 2.0 equipped machines. The 2.0 spec allows the greater speeds.

I have used my old G4 Tower's 1.1 ports successfully with my iPhone (1st gen) and my wife's 3rd generation iPod nano.

roog

That's fairly reassuring, but when I connect my iPod touch (1st Gen) to my PowerBook G3, it just comes up with a message to say that USB 2 is needed! I guess Apple either artificially enforce this lack of backward compatibility through software / firmware, or are using some sort of controller chip in the iPod touch that doesn't support backward compatibility? But it would be good to know if the 4th / 5th Gen iPod nano will work on older Macs before I recommend for my Mum to upgrade!

You could take your Powerbook into the Apple Store with you and ask them to let you male sure.

Bit of a last resort tactic maybe? Surely someone on this forum has a new iPod nano and an older Mac to try it with? I don't see that my old PBG3 and my Mum's iMac G4 can be "that" different, but there is 4 years between then?

Just want to let anyone who was interested know that the iPod nano 5th Gen DOES work fine on a G4 Mac with USB 1.1

It won't work on a G3 because iTunes 9 isn't supported. G4 Macs are supported though, and although syncing via USB 1.1 is slow, it works fine!

So, if you have an older Mac and need a new iPod, you can be assured.

Oh, and thankyou to the really helpful chap in Currys.Digital in Maidstone who helped me test out the theory!

That's the first time I've ever heard someone who works in Dixons / Currys Digital helpful... But still, good to know.