jerry_krinock

Intuit + Bank of America finally broke Quicken 2005?

I've been using Quicken since MacMoney went away. Currently I'm using Quicken 2005 since I got tired of paying for updates that give me more useless graphs and forecasting tools but no bug fixes. Oone of the most asinine things about Quicken is that after you download a statement from the bank, then when you click File > Import and select the transactions file (.qfx), Quicken displays two overlapping dialog boxes with progress bars saying that they are "updating list of participating financial institutions", and then "contacting your financial institution". These stupid things take about 30 seconds. Why the hell do they need to contact my financial institution when I've already downloaded the data? The part about "participating" financial institutions makes me think that maybe they're doing a little data mining or marketing. Thinking this was a bug, one time, I actually got through to Intuit's tech support, and got an answer after a few days: "That's the way it works." :huh:

Well, also I recall that a year or more ago I received a notice from either Intuit or Quicken that Quicken 2005 would "no longer be supported". What does that mean? Unless someone changes a file format or something, things should still work. They did work. Until yesterday. Now, whenever I try and import data and these two stupid dialogs come up, they end in failure: "Quicken was not able to complete your requests. The next time you go online for this financial institution, Quicken will attempt to re-send your original request. If the problem continues, contact your financial institution. [OL-249]."

Well, of course I'm not stupid enough to waste my time trying to break through that brick wall. Looking for a nice modern Mac alternative to Quicken, I went over to nothirst.com and found that MoneyWell claims to do all the useful stuff that Quicken does. Well, maybe it won't show me a 5-color pie chart of what my 401(k) account will look if the American Empire keeps declining for another 10 years, but I probably don't want to see that anyhow. Supposedly I can export my Quicken data to it, and it handles multiple accounts and it looks like Quicken's "categories" become "buckets". Developer Kevin Hoctor told me in a reply that MoneyWell does not need do what Quicken does when you import a statement, and he could never figure out why Quicken does it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Have any other users of Quicken (2005) and/or Bank of America noticed this problem lately? It's still doing it today.

Jerry Krinock

I've been using Quicken since MacMoney went away. Currently I'm using Quicken 2005 since I got tired of paying for updates that give me more useless graphs and forecasting tools but no bug fixes. Oone of the most asinine things about Quicken is that after you download a statement from the bank, then when you click File > Import and select the transactions file (.qfx), Quicken displays two overlapping dialog boxes with progress bars saying that they are "updating list of participating financial institutions", and then "contacting your financial institution". These stupid things take about 30 seconds. Why the hell do they need to contact my financial institution when I've already downloaded the data? The part about "participating" financial institutions makes me think that maybe they're doing a little data mining or marketing. Thinking this was a bug, one time, I actually got through to Intuit's tech support, and got an answer after a few days: "That's the way it works." :huh:

Well, also I recall that a year or more ago I received a notice from either Intuit or Quicken that Quicken 2005 would "no longer be supported". What does that mean? Unless someone changes a file format or something, things should still work. They did work. Until yesterday. Now, whenever I try and import data and these two stupid dialogs come up, they end in failure: "Quicken was not able to complete your requests. The next time you go online for this financial institution, Quicken will attempt to re-send your original request. If the problem continues, contact your financial institution. [OL-249]."

Well, of course I'm not stupid enough to waste my time trying to break through that brick wall. Looking for a nice modern Mac alternative to Quicken, I went over to nothirst.com and found that MoneyWell claims to do all the useful stuff that Quicken does. Well, maybe it won't show me a 5-color pie chart of what my 401(k) account will look if the American Empire keeps declining for another 10 years, but I probably don't want to see that anyhow. Supposedly I can export my Quicken data to it, and it handles multiple accounts and it looks like Quicken's "categories" become "buckets". Developer Kevin Hoctor told me in a reply that MoneyWell does not need do what Quicken does when you import a statement, and he could never figure out why Quicken does it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Have any other users of Quicken (2005) and/or Bank of America noticed this problem lately? It's still doing it today.

Jerry Krinock

I am using Quicken 2007 and have never been able to download Bank of America Visa data via either Webconnect or a downloaded QIF file. It will not allow me to use an existing account via Webconnect (I'm now up to "Credit Card 2 at Bank of America" - my third account for my Visa card) and the QIF only brings in the name of the vendor and date but not the amount. I don't use this card much and since the AMEX QIF download works flawlessly I haven't bothered to deal with Intuit Support.

Jerry Krinock

I am using Quicken 2007 and have never been able to download Bank of America Visa data via either Webconnect or a downloaded QIF file. It will not allow me to use an existing account via Webconnect (I'm now up to "Credit Card 2 at Bank of America" - my third account for my Visa card) and the QIF only brings in the name of the vendor and date but not the amount. I don't use this card much and since the AMEX QIF download works flawlessly I haven't bothered to deal with Intuit Support.

Edited by Dayjob Dave