Sign in to follow this  
Nomad

Siliencing the start up Bong sound!

Hey Adam,

I just listened to your latest podcast and heard how you can silence the popping sounds while adjusting the volume on your Mac, well this tip is how to silence the bong sound at start up.

Especially useful when arriving to class late and don't want to piss off the prof even more. Simply keep the mute button pressed while you press the power up button...thats it!

Hope this is useful and I get to hear my name on the podcast!!! (wishful thinking :D)

Hold Down the Mute Button: If you have a newer keyboard (like those included with the iMac, eMac, Power Mac G3, G4, and G5s), or a newer Mac laptop (i.e. iBook or PowerBook), you can simply hold down the 'Mute' button on the keyboard's top row of keys while you press the power button, until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. This will temporarily mute the startup sound.

Turn Down the Volume: If you have any Mac (including the Mac mini), and you know you won't want the startup sound the next time you boot your Mac, try turning the sound on your computer all the way down before you shut it down; the next time you boot up, you won't hear the "BONG!".

Or to make it permanent; http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425