philby123

iPhone 3.1 software update - major problems

43 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First post so please go easy!

Have you guys seen the massive thread reporting problems with the iPhone 3.1 update? The link to that thread on the Apple forums is below.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...19&tstart=0

I have the coma problem and its a real problem that causes you to miss calls and texts, Apple have not stated any aknowledgment of the issue and worse they are still allowing the 3.1 update to be downloaded?

Interested to know your experiences, this issue needs to be pushed as much as possible to get Apple to at least offer some publuc advice, they are losing a lot of credibility day by day that passes without saying anything.

Hi to all,

Phil

I can't remember Apple ever commenting on a specific issue without having a fix being available.

I know how frustrating it is when you have a problem and it seems like it's a HUGE issue for everybody but you should remember that even though the thread is long, it's only those people who ARE having problems that post. It's the nature of support forums.

Personally, I really haven't had problems with the update on my 1st Gen (though it seems my battery life isn't as good) and my significant other hasn't had that particular problem on 3G. She has had an occasional issue where plugging it in doesn't work (and, I just realized I haven't swapped her cable to see if that is problem).

Anyway, there are a lot of factors involved even though it seems like since there are only 3 models there should only be 3 factors. But people use there iPhones differently, have many different applications loaded and sync them with a huge number of different computers. Personally, I'd bet it's an incompatibility with some 3rd party app or apps.

Do all your applications say 3.1 tested?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I can't remember Apple ever commenting on a specific issue without having a fix being available.

I know how frustrating it is when you have a problem and it seems like it's a HUGE issue for everybody but you should remember that even though the thread is long, it's only those people who ARE having problems that post. It's the nature of support forums.

Personally, I really haven't had problems with the update on my 1st Gen (though it seems my battery life isn't as good) and my significant other hasn't had that particular problem on 3G. She has had an occasional issue where plugging it in doesn't work (and, I just realized I haven't swapped her cable to see if that is problem).

Anyway, there are a lot of factors involved even though it seems like since there are only 3 models there should only be 3 factors. But people use there iPhones differently, have many different applications loaded and sync them with a huge number of different computers. Personally, I'd bet it's an incompatibility with some 3rd party app or apps.

Do all your applications say 3.1 tested?

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hi and thanks for the reply, just FYI, its not 3rd party apps, I contacted Apple and they asked me to create a new admin account and restore my iPhone as a NEW iPhone and to not install ANY 3rd party Apps. I did this and 4 hrs with a vanilla iPhone the phone went into a coma state (with 3.0.1 my phone was absolutely fine). I do appreciate what your saying about different machines to sync etc, even the point that the thread may be a small number of people who have been affected but it doesn't look that way to me.

Even Apple staff in stores are recommending to people who are being given new iPhones for suspect phones NOT to upgrade to 3.1. The point is Apple knows that 3.1 is a massive problem, have advised their staff what to do in store but are NOT brave enough to make a public admission on the support forums that a problem exists.

They are completely hosing their previous excellent reputation for customer support. I am in the military and being contactable is crucial, presently I am carrying around a cheap HTC (running win mobile 6.1 - painful!!!) to ensure my commanders can get hold of me but at least I can rely on that phone, never thought I would see the day when a Microsoft product is more reliable than an Apple one, but that day sadly is here!

To summarise, 3.1 is badly flawed, Apple are not supporting their loyal customers publicly, the whole thing stinks!

Edited by philby123

OK, so I saw this thread shortly after its creation and didn't want to comment until I had a chance to check a few things out.

On page 3 of the Apple Forum Thread mentioned above:

"Headers22 wrote:

Interesting, No apple employees have responded to this thread."

this is a user to user support forum, apple employees rarely respond here, however they do read it from time to time.

another way to report issues is at http://apple.com/feedback/iphone.html but you shouldn't expect responce from them there either...

contact support directly to receive communication from apple.

be well "

This was my first thought. I have been a lurker and sometime poster at the Apple Forums since Feb 2006 and VERY VERY rarely have I ever seen an Apple employee respond to any issue directly in the forum. I, and many others, are of the opinion that this is due to the fact that when a major issue like this one occurs, Apple shifts personnel to try to find a solution ... often at the expense of keeping the public notified.

"Okay, everybody...

My phone hasn't exhibited this problem - however, by reading this entire thread, only one or two people seem to be actively trying to figure out what's going on. Here's what I found out:

1. Waiting a few minutes (instead of hard-rebooting the phone) sometimes allows the phone to revive itself.

2. It may be related to WiFi, MobileMe, or some other network process.

Has anyone with this issue tried putting their phone in Airplane Mode, just to see if it is a radio-based problem? (I know, it's a phone, useless as such during the test, but still helpful)

Those of you who've hard-rebooted your phones, have you also tried waiting 5 minutes to see if the phone recovers by itself?

Do any of you have apps in common (besides the defaults, of course)? Perhaps apps that use network or location services (again, not including the default installed apps!)?

This issue isn't affecting everyone, so anything you can do to narrow down the possibilities will help!

Doug "

As this post illustrates, not everyone who has posted in that forum has posted there saying that they have the issue. Even so, a 96 page thread probably includes over 1,000 unique posters. But even if every one of the posts in that thread were from a person having the issue, I would submit that the sampling would be less than 2 % of the total # of iPhone 3GS owners. I further realize that even so, the number of people that would post to the thread are not the entire # that are having the issue, but I would venture a guess that less than 10 % of those that have 3GS's are experiencing this issue.

Also, keep in mind that this is far from the only issue Apple is having to deal with at the present. There are plenty of other iPhone and non-iPhone issues that I am sure Apple is currently trying to fix. Just so you know, I myself am involved in one such issue with Snow leopard where icons in the finder and dock become pixelated or "Fuzzy". This issue has existed since the release of Snow Leopard and is affecting the daily use of my computer and the computers of many others ... in fact it is quite possible that one of the reasons the issue I am experiencing has NOT been fixed yet is that Apple has taken staff away from fixing my issue to deal with the iPhone problem.

I know it is difficult but be patient. Yes iPhone 3.1 has a bad flaw, but so does Snow Leopard, so does the iPod Shuffle, so does Windows Vista, so does our country, etc. etc. etc. The mere fact that Apple does have a "previously excellent reputation for customer support " seems to indicate they have done a pretty good job of fixing things in the past ... and I don't think that ANY one misstep in customer service could "completely hose" their reputation. Sometimes these things take time to figure out, and often not not as quickly as we would like, but in the long run they usually get it right.

Dolphbucs,

a great post but I need to highlight a couple of things you should know:

1. I have contacted Apple support, on their request I created a new admin account and then restored my phone as a new iphone, and on their request add NO 3rd party apps and monitor the iphone function for a couple of days. I did this exactly as requested and within 4 hrs my VANILLA iPhone fell into a coma state - Therefore this proves absolutely that 3rd party apps are not the cause, its the 3.1 update and nothing else.

2. Apple know it's the 3.1 update (though publicly they have admitted nothing) but still have not pulled the 3.1 update, meaning that day by day people are inadvertently breaking their phone by applying Apples latest and greatest update.

3. The phone when in a coma state does not accept calls or texts, this is massive. Many people rely on their phone for their job. I am in the military and being reachable to my military commanders is vital, I have resorted to carrying an old win mobile phone to ensure I can be reached (the irony isn't even funny there its win mob 6.1!!) otherwise I would have to be confined to my military station!

4. Apple being tightlipped publicly but advising their in-store staff to recommend not to apply the update is a disgrace, it sends the message that their PR reputation is more important than informing ALL their customers of the problem.

5. I don't care if Snow Leopard and the plethora of other Apple products have problems as well, I chose an Apple product whcih I paid a premium for to ensure I received WORLD CLASS customer support and that is most definitely not happening!

Apple are whatever you think ruining their reputation, its obvious and I amongst many people are considering going the android route due to the absolute impersonal response from Apple. I may get less phone, less up front support from another company, but at least its tempered by the fact I am paying SIGNIFICANTLY less for the thing in the first place. Dont get me wrong I love Apple products - they are the best, most are not even close, but this whole lack of acknowledgement and leaving the 3.1 update out there leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Awaiting your response.

Phil

It's not happening to everybody, not even a big chunk of everybody.

OK, so it's not 3rd party apps. That's good you have removed I possible cause from the equation.

There are still LOTS of possibilities and, I like Dolph, assume they're working on it.

As I said the first time, Apple doesn't talk about problems until they have a fix ready.

Hi Huskermn,

I do not see how you think there are "LOTS" of possibilities here?

With 3.0.1 I had no problems, with it I do. As you can see it's not 3rd party apps, so what else could it be? Itunes?

Look, I am not being aggressive here but the only logical possibility is that 3.1 has a bug, and I still do not understand why Apple haven't temporarily pulled 3.1? Their own in-store employees are telling people NOT to install 3.1. how much more proof do you need? As I said, it's a serious issue when people depend on their phone.

You can say what you like about Apple not publishing anything until they have a fix, but is that the right way to go? Apple customers and yes it might? be a small minority are worthy at least of a public "we are working on it - wait out" even then still allowing 3.1 out of the box is inexcusable.

In the first 5 pages of the thread on the Apple forum the following posters all confirmed the same problem after updating to 3.1! In the first 5 pages! Thats a total of 46 unique confirmations of problems after updating to 3.1

With a bit of rough guesswork, allowing for the remaining 90 pages having at least 1 new confirmation per page I reckon that a minimum of 150 people have reported the issue on this forum alone, never mind other forums like this one. Now I KNOW that Apple have sold millions of these phones but a 150 is not insignificant. At the very least they should have said something.

Forum names below of those who have reported the problem in the first 5 pages!

rrahimi, Randy Fast, tobynator, MarkGoBlue,FirePod,Francisco Robles,benwollman,tgarcez,Chris Wright3

brian4,dfritter4,MultiSync,RestlessFool 1,Jimboab,Noby Damayanti,Oliver Dean,jmharris22,dhammis

daisymae0,Bugz_nz,David Duff 2,Jake5289,iphoneGuy23,Unitrip1,thegdr,BradiPhone,DerekKSU

shsgryph93,scs00,NeoSe7en,edse83,etdashou,mccd,NI3LS,Muttley28,razul,maxepad 4,Seadragon

musicvan,jbou3G,Neondiet,teh1tn1nj4,utterer,Marcus Ray,leftyC66a,Headers22

Total 46 unique confirmed problems in first 5 pages.

Edited by philby123

Philby, we understand that iPhone 3.1 has a bug, but like it or not, even 1,000 examples of people having problems is a very small amount compared to the "millions" ( your figure ) of phones sold. You seem to think that your problem is more important than anyone else's ( " I don't care if Snow Leopard and the plethora of other Apple products have problems as well, I chose an Apple product whcih I paid a premium for to ensure I received WORLD CLASS customer support and that is most definitely not happening! " ) Do you mean to say that Apple needs to drop all other issues and stop everything else just to service the issue that YOU are having? What if ten times as many people are having other issues with other products? They should all wait in line behind the issue that affects you? If you know of any other company which has given you such service in the past let us know ... I'm sure we all want to buy products from those companies ... but you have to understand that they ( Apple ) might just have other issues affecting more people than are affected by this iPhone update .... and there are only so many resources to go around.

Also, you are missing a point here. When Husker says that there are lots of possibilities he is not only talking about the problem being something other than the software update. The iPhone OS is comprised of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lines of code .... obviously there is a situation in that code that is causing an unanticipated situation in the execution of that code. Tracking down these things takes time. You say you work for the military ( thank you BTW ) but surely you have encountered many situations with gov't issued Hardware and software that have had glitches themselves .... and surely you have encountered situations where, due to resource constraints and other priorities, your issue has been put on hold so that more important issues can be dealt with first.

As far as the fact that they have "left the 3.1 update out there" .... of course they have. As even evidenced within the Apple forum thread you cited, not everyone that has applied the update has had issues. That would make it seem to me, as someone who has more than his fair share of experience in technical and software troubleshooting, that there is some common thread in those who have experienced the issue that is not shared by the populace at large. Keep in mind also that 3.1 fixes other issues that many others were having .... it could be possible that Apple figures it is more important that the majority that aren't having 3.1 issues get the updates ( it could even mean that there was a fix in 3.1 that solved an issue where many others could not use THEIR phones ). Like I pointed out before, you yourself have stated what great rep Apple has had in the past for handling such issues, please keep in mind that they must have been doing something right ( and as Husker and I have both said, nothing seems any different with the way they are handling this situation to the way they have handled previous ones ) or they wouldn't have that reputation to begin with.

And one last thing I would like to point out. Like I said earlier, I have been reading and posting at the Apple forums for years. In general it is a great source for information, however, not everything that is posted there is accurate. For example, you posted earlier that "Even Apple staff in stores are recommending to people who are being given new iPhones for suspect phones NOT to upgrade to 3.1.". Since you only said you had "contacted" Apple and did not say that you yourself had visited an Apple Store, I can only assume that you heard about this from a post on one of the forums. That does not guarantee that the person who posted it was being truthful or accurate. With my previously mentioned Snow Leopard icon issue, for example, there are 2 or 3 threads discussing this matter. One poster keeps posting that there is a fix and this is how to do it. Problem is, that fix doesn't work. It is quite possible that the person posting the fact of what is happening in Apple stores was either there first hand and was mistaken about what he/she saw or heard, or could even just be repeating something read on some other forum that has not been verified. When it comes to dealing with service issues I find it best to just go with what I have personally experienced .... take the other stuff into account, but only with a grain of salt.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Philby, we understand that iPhone 3.1 has a bug, but like it or not, even 1,000 examples of people having problems is a very small amount compared to the "millions" ( your figure ) of phones sold. You seem to think that your problem is more important than anyone else's ( " I don't care if Snow Leopard and the plethora of other Apple products have problems as well, I chose an Apple product whcih I paid a premium for to ensure I received WORLD CLASS customer support and that is most definitely not happening! " ) Do you mean to say that Apple needs to drop all other issues and stop everything else just to service the issue that YOU are having? What if ten times as many people are having other issues with other products? They should all wait in line behind the issue that affects you? If you know of any other company which has given you such service in the past let us know ... I'm sure we all want to buy products from those companies ... but you have to understand that they ( Apple ) might just have other issues affecting more people than are affected by this iPhone update .... and there are only so many resources to go around.

Yup valid point! However I am paying a premium all the same and expect better than this.

Also, you are missing a point here. When Husker says that there are lots of possibilities he is not only talking about the problem being something other than the software update. The iPhone OS is comprised of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of lines of code .... obviously there is a situation in that code that is causing an unanticipated situation in the execution of that code. Tracking down these things takes time. You say you work for the military ( thank you BTW ) but surely you have encountered many situations with gov't issued Hardware and software that have had glitches themselves .... and surely you have encountered situations where, due to resource constraints and other priorities, your issue has been put on hold so that more important issues can be dealt with first.

And at least you agree it's the OS and OS alone!

As far as the fact that they have "left the 3.1 update out there" .... of course they have. As even evidenced within the Apple forum thread you cited, not everyone that has applied the update has had issues. That would make it seem to me, as someone who has more than his fair share of experience in technical and software troubleshooting, that there is some common thread in those who have experienced the issue that is not shared by the populace at large. Keep in mind also that 3.1 fixes other issues that many others were having .... it could be possible that Apple figures it is more important that the majority that aren't having 3.1 issues get the updates ( it could even mean that there was a fix in 3.1 that solved an issue where many others could not use THEIR phones ). Like I pointed out before, you yourself have stated what great rep Apple has had in the past for handling such issues, please keep in mind that they must have been doing something right ( and as Husker and I have both said, nothing seems any different with the way they are handling this situation to the way they have handled previous ones ) or they wouldn't have that reputation to begin with.

Excellent point on other perhaps major problems being fixed by 3.1 and if they at least stated that it would go someway to alleviating the frustration we are all feeling.

And one last thing I would like to point out. Like I said earlier, I have been reading and posting at the Apple forums for years. In general it is a great source for information, however, not everything that is posted there is accurate. For example, you posted earlier that "Even Apple staff in stores are recommending to people who are being given new iPhones for suspect phones NOT to upgrade to 3.1.". Since you only said you had "contacted" Apple and did not say that you yourself had visited an Apple Store, I can only assume that you heard about this from a post on one of the forums. That does not guarantee that the person who posted it was being truthful or accurate. With my previously mentioned Snow Leopard icon issue, for example, there are 2 or 3 threads discussing this matter. One poster keeps posting that there is a fix and this is how to do it. Problem is, that fix doesn't work. It is quite possible that the person posting the fact of what is happening in Apple stores was either there first hand and was mistaken about what he/she saw or heard, or could even just be repeating something read on some other forum that has not been verified. When it comes to dealing with service issues I find it best to just go with what I have personally experienced .... take the other stuff into account, but only with a grain of salt.

Well quite a few people have made that comment, I cannot say I have personally experienced it but I do not see why those people who posted it would lie.

Dolphbucs, the major issue for me is not being able to rely on the phone in its current state, I may be a very small minority but it's a really significant issue for me in the job I have and hence I have resorted to carrying another phone with me.

The only other point I would add is why have Apple not at least acknowledged the issue, I am not expecting a date for a fix but how about a "yup sorry for your pain we are working it and will get out a patch out asap"???

Phil

" Well quite a few people have made that comment, I cannot say I have personally experienced it but I do not see why those people who posted it would lie. "

I didn't say anyone was lying. All it would take is for one person to misunderstand something that was said in one Apple Store and then for that original post to be virally quoted throughout the internet .... similar to the way that many have been so sure there would be an Apple Tablet the last 5 or 6 Apple events because everyone was quoting the same erroneous information. That's not lying, just repeating bad information.

" Dolphbucs, the major issue for me is not being able to rely on the phone in its current state, I may be a very small minority but it's a really significant issue for me in the job I have and hence I have resorted to carrying another phone with me."

OK, lets say you owned a Mercedes Benz. You bought that car thinking it was a far superior product but then it breaks down. Then, for whatever reason, you are unable to get the car to the dealership that you bought it from. You are forced to leave it at a repair shop and have to fend for yourself to find a replacement car which is necessary to get yourself around for work. Eventually the car gets fixed and eventually the repair costs you nothing so Mercedes HAS stood behind the product, but you were left to fend for yourself for awhile. I think that is very close to what you are experiencing. You have stated that others have gone to Apples stores and have beed given replacement product to get them by. Were you able to make it to an Apple store they would do the same for you. However, is it Apple's responsibility to have an Apple store on every street corner any more than it is the responsibility of Mercedes to have a service center on every street corner where you can get a loner?

"The only other point I would add is why have Apple not at least acknowledged the issue, I am not expecting a date for a fix but how about a "yup sorry for your pain we are working it and will get out a patch out asap"???

Because, as Husker and I have both mentioned, it is their policy to put as much personnel at fixing the issue, sometimes at the expense of keeping people informed. It is not their policy to respond to the forum threads or to send follow up messages to service requests until they have a solution. This could be due to legal issues. Not everyone who has had the issue has posted or read the forum. By posting a reply are they opening themselves up to liability for not contacting each and every person affected? Even those who did not call in with the issue either? And how much manpower would it take to keep everyone updated in the process? And how often do they update everyone? You have contacted someone at Apple and they are obviously working with your data ... you will find out about a solution when one is available. That is the way the Apple system has always worked. If you want more personalized service you can visit an Apple Store and sit down at the Genius bar, where they will treat you like royalty.

And one last point ... as frustrating as this might seem, I can't help but wonder how you would be faring if a similar thing happened with a Blackberry through Verizon or an Android phone? I'll bet they would expect you to travel to the nearest phone store ( no matter where that was ) and if you were able to do that with your iPhone, I would guess your experience would have been much easier with Apple also.

Edited by Dolphbucs

" Well quite a few people have made that comment, I cannot say I have personally experienced it but I do not see why those people who posted it would lie. "

I didn't say anyone was lying. All it would take is for one person to misunderstand something that was said in one Apple Store and then for that original post to be virally quoted throughout the internet .... similar to the way that many have been so sure there would be an Apple Tablet the last 5 or 6 Apple events because everyone was quoting the same erroneous information. That's not lying, just repeating bad information.

I understand your point here, however I choose to believe the original poster was factually correct, my call I know!

" Dolphbucs, the major issue for me is not being able to rely on the phone in its current state, I may be a very small minority but it's a really significant issue for me in the job I have and hence I have resorted to carrying another phone with me."

OK, lets say you owned a Mercedes Benz. You bought that car thinking it was a far superior product but then it breaks down. Then, for whatever reason, you are unable to get the car to the dealership that you bought it from. You are forced to leave it at a repair shop and have to fend for yourself to find a replacement car which is necessary to get yourself around for work. Eventually the car gets fixed and eventually the repair costs you nothing so Mercedes HAS stood behind the product, but you were left to fend for yourself for awhile. I think that is very close to what you are experiencing. You have stated that others have gone to Apples stores and have beed given replacement product to get them by. Were you able to make it to an Apple store they would do the same for you. However, is it Apple's responsibility to have an Apple store on every street corner any more than it is the responsibility of Mercedes to have a service center on every street corner where you can get a loner?

You make a reasonable analogy, I am not however complaining about lack of access to an Apple store, I am not seeking an iPhone replacement as I "know" that a software update will fix my iPhone. When I get that update is anybody's guess as Apple choose not to comment which leaves me clueless as to when I will be able to depend on my iPhone again.

"The only other point I would add is why have Apple not at least acknowledged the issue, I am not expecting a date for a fix but how about a "yup sorry for your pain we are working it and will get out a patch out asap"???

Because, as Husker and I have both mentioned, it is their policy to put as much personnel at fixing the issue, sometimes at the expense of keeping people informed. It is not their policy to respond to the forum threads or to send follow up messages to service requests until they have a solution. This could be due to legal issues. Not everyone who has had the issue has posted or read the forum. By posting a reply are they opening themselves up to liability for not contacting each and every person affected? Even those who did not call in with the issue either? And how much manpower would it take to keep everyone updated in the process? And how often do they update everyone? You have contacted someone at Apple and they are obviously working with your data ... you will find out about a solution when one is available. That is the way the Apple system has always worked. If you want more personalized service you can visit an Apple Store and sit down at the Genius bar, where they will treat you like royalty.

Ok lets be serious here, Apple has in excess of 30,000 employees, obviously not all work in tech/customer support, you think they could release ONE to make a post to ALL iPhone owners and give them some feedback, I mean come on ONE is all it takes to put a post out on the Apple forums.

And one last point ... as frustrating as this might seem, I can't help but wonder how you would be faring if a similar thing happened with a Blackberry through Verizon or an Android phone? I'll bet they would expect you to travel to the nearest phone store ( no matter where that was ) and if you were able to do that with your iPhone, I would guess your experience would have been much easier with Apple also.

I did say, I love Apple products earlier, and if I end up buying a competitors phone I would be less impressed, and undoubtedly subject to inferior customer support, but the but here and it is a big BUT we pay through the nose for the Apple experience, and we are not getting anything different from any other hardware vendor and therefore we are not getting value for money.

"Ok lets be serious here, Apple has in excess of 30,000 employees, obviously not all work in tech/customer support, you think they could release ONE to make a post to ALL iPhone owners and give them some feedback, I mean come on ONE is all it takes to put a post out on the Apple forums.

Again, that is NOT the way Apple operates ( for better or for worse ). They have a different way of looking at things. Besides, it would not just take ONE .... because once you respond in the forums to one thread you have set a precedent and ALL threads will expect to be responded to. You are again falling into the trap of looking at things from the perspective of just your situation and Apple is not only dealing with this one issue. I wonder how many other unsolved issues were on the table when the 3.1 bug arose. And don't discount my point about there being possible legal issues. Look I know it's frustrating, but trust me, Apple does everything the way they do for a reason .... we may not know what the reason is at the time, but it usually works out in the end.

" BUT we pay through the nose for the Apple experience, and we are not getting anything different from any other hardware vendor and therefore we are not getting value for money."

Oh yes we are. We are getting the most state of the art Phone OS out there. We are getting the app store. We are getting the best portable media player on the market built in to the phone. That is value for the money. But it is bleeding edge. That is precisely what has caused this issue. If on the other hand by value for the money you mean that every device should work all the time without any errors and with perfect service performance .... hell even our military can't deliver that LOL

"Ok lets be serious here, Apple has in excess of 30,000 employees, obviously not all work in tech/customer support, you think they could release ONE to make a post to ALL iPhone owners and give them some feedback, I mean come on ONE is all it takes to put a post out on the Apple forums.

Again, that is NOT the way Apple operates ( for better or for worse ). They have a different way of looking at things. Besides, it would not just take ONE .... because once you respond in the forums to one thread you have set a precedent and ALL threads will expect to be responded to. You are again falling into the trap of looking at things from the perspective of just your situation and Apple is not only dealing with this one issue. I wonder how many other unsolved issues were on the table when the 3.1 bug arose. And don't discount my point about there being possible legal issues. Look I know it's frustrating, but trust me, Apple does everything the way they do for a reason .... we may not know what the reason is at the time, but it usually works out in the end.

Ok, good point about the precedent I hadn't considered that, that being said man it is so frustrating when they say nothing.

" BUT we pay through the nose for the Apple experience, and we are not getting anything different from any other hardware vendor and therefore we are not getting value for money."

Oh yes we are. We are getting the most state of the art Phone OS out there. We are getting the app store. We are getting the best portable media player on the market built in to the phone. That is value for the money. But it is bleeding edge. That is precisely what has caused this issue. If on the other hand by value for the money you mean that every device should work all the time without any errors and with perfect service performance .... hell even our military can't deliver that LOL

You are correct, it is the best phone OS hands down but I still feel I paid for the dependability of an Apple product, I suppose a hardware fault to me would have been just luck of the draw, but a sw update is self inflicted, yes I know bugs are always going to be present but it is undoubtedly a show stopper and I feel as it's a fault of that magnitude that they should in someway shape or form acknowledge it! And yes in the military we have all the same issues, sw amd hw but we do hold companies accountable when something goes wrong, and they have very little wriggle room, usually they incur financial penalties in the contract. I guess I feel that Apple have a serious bug in 3.1 but there seems to be little the customer can do, especially if he is out of warranty, seems kind of unfair that an update meant to improve your phone can break it and yet if you are out of warranty you are also out of luck!

Edited by philby123

Yup, 1501 posts in that thread on the Apple Discussion forum ( that's total, including the ones that posted that they are NOT having the issue ). And this forum has 4,670 registered members and not one has posted in this thread that they are also experiencing the problem. Interesting.

Yup, 1501 posts in that thread on the Apple Discussion forum ( that's total, including the ones that posted that they are NOT having the issue ). And this forum has 4,670 registered members and not one has posted in this thread that they are also experiencing the problem. Interesting.

Well Dolphbucs the Apple forum may have posters who can be bothered to post, from your and Huskermn's advice you all stay tight lipped in the supreme confidence that Apple will make it all better eventually without you needing to kick up a fuss!

And I am not having a go honestly, also I noticed that many of the forum threads here have very few replies, certainly the case for the iPhone forum where the first page has typically less than 10 replies per thread! not sure what that means for 4000 plus members?

Unless your implying that the posters on the Apple forum are just a bunch of whingers who have nothing better to do with their time?

Edited by philby123

I am only trying to imply that it is very interesting to me that nobody here has posted with the same issue. Let's say there are 150,000 members at the Apple forums. And lets even say that 1500 posts were all from different members each having the issue in question. That would be 1% of the registered members of the Apple forums. If it really is an issue as widespread as the fact that there are "hundreds of people ( who ) are expressing the same thought that Apple are letting us down badly by not at least acknowledging the problem " implies, then logically about the same percentage of people would/should be affected across the entire iPhone user base and therefore about the same percentage of members to this forum ( about 40 ) should be adversely affected. The the fact that no member to this forum has posted saying that they are also experiencing the problem logically reveals to me that the people affected by this issue are not a pure cross section of the user base. This means that there is another factor involved in influencing who is affected. Obviously it has something to do with the 3.1 update, but if the issue were to be solely a software issue then all units would be affected ( or at least a similar percentage across all samplings of the user base ). Therefore there has to be another factor involved. Maybe a certain number of units were released with slightly different chipsets that are reacting differently to the code. Maybe there are one or two servers handling the download of 3.1 that are serving a corrupted update file. Maybe a certain number of users somehow have a faulty install of iTunes which is corrupting the 3.1 update as it is installing. These are just some of the possibilities Apple might be having to consider before they make a public statement that might create more troubles for them than it solves.

But now that you bring it up, there is one person that I do now think may have nothing better to do with their time .... philby123

Your first post to this forum was an expression of displeasure with something Apple was not handling properly and solicited other members' experiences ... that's cool. So Husker and I do what you requested and respond to tell you our experiences and try to reassure you that things will be OK. This is followed by a series of "yeah but..." posts by yourself which seemed to show that at the least you didn't seem to understand our positions prompting further responses. That's also cool, and as of your post of about 8:30 pm last night ( my time ) I thought that back and forth was finally over. I would never have posted again to this thread if you had not then decided to post this afternoon with the news flash that the Apple Thread originally cited had reached 100 pages and then proceeded to restate the same position you have posted several times before, as if to ignore Husker and my input or at the very least to beat a horse that, if not dead is at least on life support. That prompted me to respond by pointing out a curious observation that I thought might get you to think about other possibilities and you respond by suggesting that I am implying that people on the Apple Forums are "just a bunch of Whingers" ( whatever that is ) which is silly considering that, as I have stated in this thread several times, I myself am a regular member of the Apple Forums.

I am beginning to question just what the purpose of this thread is. If your objective was to inform this community of the issue, that was accomplished long ago. If you are trying to get Adam to be aware of the issue, he probably is already, he may have even already recorded a segment about this issue for his podcast. If you are trying to start a grass-roots movement to get Apple to meet your demands, then, since by your own observation, this forum is decidedly less active than, say the Apple Forums, wouldn't your efforts be best spent trying to rally the masses in that location?

In any event, let's please just drop it. Everything's been said already ( probably several times ) on the subject. At least until Apple produces a fix or some sort of response. Or the mob succeeds in burning down Cupertino.

Edited by Dolphbucs

I am only trying to imply that it is very interesting to me that nobody here has posted with the same issue. Let's say there are 150,000 members at the Apple forums. And lets even say that 1500 posts were all from different members each having the issue in question. That would be 1% of the registered members of the Apple forums. If it really is an issue as widespread as the fact that there are "hundreds of people ( who ) are expressing the same thought that Apple are letting us down badly by not at least acknowledging the problem " implies, then logically about the same percentage of people would/should be affected across the entire iPhone user base and therefore about the same percentage of members to this forum ( about 40 ) should be adversely affected. The the fact that no member to this forum has posted saying that they are also experiencing the problem logically reveals to me that the people affected by this issue are not a pure cross section of the user base. This means that there is another factor involved in influencing who is affected. Obviously it has something to do with the 3.1 update, but if the issue were to be solely a software issue then all units would be affected ( or at least a similar percentage across all samplings of the user base ). Therefore there has to be another factor involved. Maybe a certain number of units were released with slightly different chipsets that are reacting differently to the code. Maybe there are one or two servers handling the download of 3.1 that are serving a corrupted update file. Maybe a certain number of users somehow have a faulty install of iTunes which is corrupting the 3.1 update as it is installing. These are just some of the possibilities Apple might be having to consider before they make a public statement that might create more troubles for them than it solves.

But now that you bring it up, there is one person that I do now think may have nothing better to do with their time .... philby123

Your first post to this forum was an expression of displeasure with something Apple was not handling properly and solicited other members' experiences ... that's cool. So Husker and I do what you requested and respond to tell you our experiences and try to reassure you that things will be OK. This is followed by a series of "yeah but..." posts by yourself which seemed to show that at the least you didn't seem to understand our positions prompting further responses. That's also cool, and as of your post of about 8:30 pm last night ( my time ) I thought that back and forth was finally over. I would never have posted again to this thread if you had not then decided to post this afternoon with the news flash that the Apple Thread originally cited had reached 100 pages and then proceeded to restate the same position you have posted several times before, as if to ignore Husker and my input or at the very least to beat a horse that, if not dead is at least on life support. That prompted me to respond by pointing out a curious observation that I thought might get you to think about other possibilities and you respond by suggesting that I am implying that people on the Apple Forums are "just a bunch of Whingers" ( whatever that is ) which is silly considering that, as I have stated in this thread several times, I myself am a regular member of the Apple Forums.

I am beginning to question just what the purpose of this thread is. If your objective was to inform this community of the issue, that was accomplished long ago. If you are trying to get Adam to be aware of the issue, he probably is already, he may have even already recorded a segment about this issue for his podcast. If you are trying to start a grass-roots movement to get Apple to meet your demands, then, since by your own observation, this forum is decidedly less active than, say the Apple Forums, wouldn't your efforts be best spent trying to rally the masses in that location?

In any event, let's please just drop it. Everything's been said already ( probably several times ) on the subject. At least until Apple produces a fix or some sort of response. Or the mob succeeds in burning down Cupertino.

Dolphbucs, Huskermn,

I respect your opinions, I am not trying to mobilise an anti-apple campaign far from it. I hope that you don't experience the issues that many people have, you made an excellent observation about the possibility of a corrupted download, or even Itunes could be causing it. I like the approach you have made in this thread and I am sorry if I have come across as argumentative.

I sincerely hope that Apple issue a fix very quickly as even if it's a "minority problem" it's impact on the end user is significant.

Anyway,

Hope you sort your Snow Leopard problem, Adam did say on the last but one podcast that there are reported issues with fonts in Snow Leopard and there was a way of fixing it, perhaps you could look at the show notes? to see what he said.

Peace

Phil

Thanks for a reasoned response, Phil.

A point for future reference - If you use the Add Reply button in the that is with the FastReply and NewTopic buttons than the Reply button with the quotation marks on it, it won't Quote the whole text of the previous post.

I had a very hard time finding your comments in the quoted text so really couldn't even respond to some of your comments.

Thanks.

Yeah, Thanks. I'm glad to see that my suspicions were only that. You've shown class Philby ... Welcome aboard!!!

Edited by Dolphbucs

I've been experiencing the comatose problem with my iPhone 3G. It has been happening once every 2-3 days I'd estimate [1]. I did a restore using iTunes 9.0.1 (as recommended by some people on the Apple discussion boards) on Tuesday evening and so far so good, but it's too early to really say whether that has fixed it.

Fingers crossed

Tim

[1] At least that's when I've noticed it. Some people have said that it wakes itself up after 5 minutes or so, in which case it could have been happening more often...

Edited by timpent

Just as an update:

I tried reinstalling Itunes after doing a deep removal of the original Itunes then restored the phone as a new iPhone. Thought the problem was fixed as I went 24 hrs without noticing the issue then it started again, now I am getting it 2 - 3 times a day.

I spoke to level 2 customer support yesterday, the guy admitted that Apple know of the problem that is being particularly reported on the Apple discussion forums, when pushed about acknowledging the issue he emphatically stated that Apple will NEVER acknowledge ANY hardware/software problems until they have ISSUED the fix, I said that leaves everybody in the dark as to what they are doing about it, his only reply was that is current Apple policy!

So basically it could be months before we see a fix and Apple will not say a single word on the matter until they release a fix, so much for customer service!

he emphatically stated that Apple will NEVER acknowledge ANY hardware/software problems until they have ISSUED the fix, I said that leaves everybody in the dark as to what they are doing about it, his only reply was that is current Apple policy!

If you look back to my original response, that's exactly what I said.

If you look back to my original response, that's exactly what I said.

Huskermn, yup you did but without being unkind you don't represent Apple and this is my first experience of NEEDING Apple Customer Support and frankly I feel let down, hence I needed to validate what you were absolutely correct about. And that I have.

I just find it very disappointing that having chosen a first class product with a company who have (had?) the best reputation for customer support, what I have received is absolutely NIL support. I said to the support guy that whatever Apple did (Corrupt download, Itunes install, Broken 3.1 update) my phone is now practically useless to me in the job I have, he said there was nothing he could do about that, but did accept it was an Apple issue under investigation, so yes they broke my phone but wont offer me ANY immediate support, and I did explain I am in the military and the importance of being reachable, he would not even offer a phone with 3.0.1 installed - exceptionally disappointing don't you agree?

Yes I know your analogy about vehicles etc etc. But one thing is for certain, if the brakes failed or had potential to fail due to a faulty part from the manufacturer a product recall would happen and damned quick! I am not saying this fault is life threatening but all 3g/3gs owners do now not have a fuzzy warm feeling that they can depend on their phone at that critical time it could be needed.

The Apple experience is decidedly not impressing me and I could not recommend a purchase of an Apple product to anyone after this sorry tale.

Phil

PS That Apple thread is now 116 pages and I am not in a minority with how hundreds/thousands are feeling how Apple are not responding - yup I know the policy as you told me from the outset, but it isn't winning customers is it?

Edited by philby123

I've been experiencing the comatose problem with my iPhone 3G. It has been happening once every 2-3 days I'd estimate [1]. I did a restore using iTunes 9.0.1 (as recommended by some people on the Apple discussion boards) on Tuesday evening and so far so good, but it's too early to really say whether that has fixed it.

Fingers crossed

Tim

[1] At least that's when I've noticed it. Some people have said that it wakes itself up after 5 minutes or so, in which case it could have been happening more often...

Well it's been almost three days since I restored my iPhone and so far no problems... I'll post an update after the weekend.

Tim