philby123

iPhone 3.1 software update - major problems

Huskermn, yup you did but without being unkind you don't represent Apple and this is my first experience of NEEDING Apple Customer Support and frankly I feel let down, hence I needed to validate what you were absolutely correct about. And that I have.

I just find it very disappointing that having chosen a first class product with a company who have (had?) the best reputation for customer support, what I have received is absolutely NIL support. I said to the support guy that whatever Apple did (Corrupt download, Itunes install, Broken 3.1 update) my phone is now practically useless to me in the job I have, he said there was nothing he could do about that, but did accept it was an Apple issue under investigation, so yes they broke my phone but wont offer me ANY immediate support, and I did explain I am in the military and the importance of being reachable, he would not even offer a phone with 3.0.1 installed - exceptionally disappointing don't you agree?

Yes I know your analogy about vehicles etc etc. But one thing is for certain, if the brakes failed or had potential to fail due to a faulty part from the manufacturer a product recall would happen and damned quick! I am not saying this fault is life threatening but all 3g/3gs owners do now not have a fuzzy warm feeling that they can depend on their phone at that critical time it could be needed.

The Apple experience is decidedly not impressing me and I could not recommend a purchase of an Apple product to anyone after this sorry tale.

Phil

PS That Apple thread is now 116 pages and I am not in a minority with how hundreds/thousands are feeling how Apple are not responding - yup I know the policy as you told me from the outset, but it isn't winning customers is it?

Philby, just how far are you from the nearest Apple Store? Reason I ask is that using my vehicle analogy ( that was me not Husker BTW ), even if there were a recall, you would be expected to take the car back to an authorized dealer would you not? The car manufacturer is not going to come to your house with a tow truck and say "we have a recall , here is a loner and we'll take the defective car to get fixed". They will expect you to make the effort to go to the service center with the car .... even if the closest one is 100 miles away. Would that mean that the car manufacturer in question would also have crappy customer service ? Like I suggested before, if it is that crucial to you, take the iPhone to the closest Apple Store and you will most likely be pleasantly surprised at their customer service. But for you to continue to complain about Apple's policy without making that reasonable and standard effort ( as I also said earlier that is what any other phone manufacturer would require you to do ) comes off as just being stubborn and whining. If you go to an Apple store and you don't get satisfaction, then all bets are off and I will then agree that you have been mistreated .... but until you do, IMHO, you are not being reasonable as you have not made a reasonable effort yourself. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is not the military where there is a vast infrastructure designed to make things easy for everyone ( from an internal standpoint anyway ). The private sector requires a bit of reasonable initiative on the individual's part.

And BTW, you pointed out that Huskrmn does not represent Apple .... that is correct .... nobody here does. We are just a private collection of individuals trying to help each other out .... which bring us back to two posts ago ( of mine ) .... exactly what is it you are trying to accomplish by posting this stuff here? If you are trying to point out your displeasure at Apple ... done. If you are trying to point out that Apple has a problem with iPhone 3.1 .... also done, but since we as you said, are not Apple, what good does complaining to us and repeatedly restating your position accomplish ? We get your point ... you are unhappy with the service Apple have given you to this point. But posting here letting everyone know when a different forum's thread hits 100 or 116 pages does nothing to solve the problem. Think about it.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Philby, just how far are you from the nearest Apple Store? Reason I ask is that using my vehicle analogy ( that was me not Husker BTW ), even if there were a recall, you would be expected to take the car back to an authorized dealer would you not? The car manufacturer is not going to come to your house with a tow truck and say "we have a recall , here is a loner and we'll take the defective car to get fixed". They will expect you to make the effort to go to the service center with the car .... even if the closest one is 100 miles away. Would that mean that the car manufacturer in question would also have crappy customer service ? Like I suggested before, if it is that crucial to you, take the iPhone to the closest Apple Store and you will most likely be pleasantly surprised at their customer service. But for you to continue to complain about Apple's policy without making that reasonable and standard effort ( as I also said earlier that is what any other phone manufacturer would require you to do ) comes off as just being stubborn and whining. If you go to an Apple store and you don't get satisfaction, then all bets are off and I will then agree that you have been mistreated .... but until you do, IMHO, you are not being reasonable as you have not made a reasonable effort yourself. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is not the military where there is a vast infrastructure designed to make things easy for everyone ( from an internal standpoint anyway ). The private sector requires a bit of reasonable initiative on the individual's part.

Dolphbucs,

I live 186 miles to the nearest Apple outlet, nearly a 4 hour drive! But I tell you what, I will contact that branch sometime next week, (busy with a marathon this weekend) and ask if they would consider swapping my phone for a 3.0.1 version. If they do I will make that journey as I am really frustrated with this issue, and the trouble as you well know is that Apple are giving NIL information about when a fix is likely to appear.

But I am not holding out much hope as the support guy I spoke to last time said that as it's almost certainly not a hardware fault then getting a replacement is not going to happen, his words not mine. Perhaps UK and USA Apple support have different levels of actions they can authorise. But I will report back with my findings next week.

As for complaining about Apple, I am just venting, but I am also posting what I have tried but has so far failed. As you know the thread on the Apple forum is growing daily, I came to this forum as I love the Maccast show and also feel that it has a good feel to it. And nothing has changed my mind on that.

I am however not going to just suck it up and accept that Apple's policy of non-communication is an acceptable stance when almost certainly their own software or method of distribution has resulted in such a major problem for many people.

Perhaps the posters on this forum don't like to challenge Apple, I am of the opinion that if you don't say anything with a company such as Apple will always say, "Hey - we got no feedback on the issue" but I digress we know as has been clearly stated by yourself and Huskermn that Apple policy that will never change.

Anyway,

Just to give an update since last time. I this time did the following:

1. New Admin account

2. Deep uninstall, then reinstall of itunes

3. Restored (again!) as new iPhone and not restoring from backup

4. Ran phone with NO 3rd party Apps

5. Started seeing fails today after a day with no probs

6. Well obviously I am having no luck helping myself, but thats where I am at as Apple have offered NIL.

Well I have gone on long enough on this post,

Hope you all have a great weekend

Phil

PS They are forecasting 20 - 30 mph headwinds for the race - lovely!

Edited by philby123

Philby, nobody is asking you to "just suck it up and accept that Apple's policy of non-communication is an acceptable stance" but I would hope you would show the class that you appeared to have several posts back. Can you not see that your posting of things like " PS That Apple thread is now 116 pages " does nothing to change the issue and quite possibly comes off like "see, I told you so, and I'm right !! " ? Is that really doing anything to help the situation? Nothing you post in THIS forum is going to force Apple to change their policy ( quite frankly, due to the reasons I have stated here in the past I'm not so sure that they should ) so your repetition of your displeasure is futility at best. Oh and BTW, us "posters on this forum" challenge Apple plenty, but you have to pick your shots when you complain to major corporations or you just won't be taken seriously or, even worse, will come off like a kid stomping his feet trying to get his way. That's not just true in dealing with Apple but any major corporation.

In any event, I see now that this thread is in degenerating into something that I'm sure Adam would not want on his forum. You obviously don't understand what Huskermn and myself have been trying to point out to you, so I'll just walk away now and ignore it from this point on. Thread's all yours. Have fun.

edit to change spelling of word to "change" from "chance"

Edited by Dolphbucs

Philby, nobody is asking you to "just suck it up and accept that Apple's policy of non-communication is an acceptable stance" but I would hope you would show the class that you appeared to have several posts back. Can you not see that your posting of things like " PS That Apple thread is now 116 pages " does nothing to change the issue and quite possibly comes off like "see, I told you so, and I'm right !! " ? Is that really doing anything to help the situation? Nothing you post in THIS forum is going to force Apple to change their policy ( quite frankly, due to the reasons I have stated here in the past I'm not so sure that they should ) so your repetition of your displeasure is futility at best. Oh and BTW, us "posters on this forum" challenge Apple plenty, but you have to pick your shots when you complain to major corporations or you just won't be taken seriously or, even worse, will come off like a kid stomping his feet trying to get his way. That's not just true in dealing with Apple but any major corporation.

In any event, I see now that this thread is in degenerating into something that I'm sure Adam would not want on his forum. You obviously don't understand what Huskermn and myself have been trying to point out to you, so I'll just walk away now and ignore it from this point on. Thread's all yours. Have fun.

edit to change spelling of word to "change" from "chance"

Dolphbucs,

We are on the same side - honestly, it genuinely pains me to criticise Apple, since I became a user of Apple products since buying my Mac Mini 2 years ago having given up on Vista I have extolled to all my friends and colleagues the benefit of going to the Mac platform, AND still wish to, it's just I am not so rock solid confident having seen how Apple work when a problem exists.

Our differences aside, I will do as I said in my earlier post and try and see what my "local - lol" store will offer me, in the meantime I am experimenting with wifi and 3g off and will report back in a day or so.

BTW I never asked you had you experienced any issues yourself? I guess not as I am sure you would have said so? If not are you running a 3GS with 3.1?

All the best

Phil

For the record, no iPhone. see my signature below. I have commented on the policies of Apple and my thoughts of how those policies affect consumers. Therefore whether or not I have an iPhone or what model it is should be irrelevant.

Definitely last post.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Well it's been almost three days since I restored my iPhone and so far no problems... I'll post an update after the weekend.

Tim

Hi Tim, just to say I disabled wifi and 3g and went a full 2 days before it went into a coma again. I along with many others on the Apple discussion forums strongly suspect the update to the radio firmware is the problem, however ymmv depending on your model of phone. Have you seen any improvement after reinstalling Itunes, it certainly didn't work for me?

Just wish Apple would say something to give us some idea of when a fix is likely or at least a statement that they are working it - won't be holding my breath for that one!

FWIW we have over 30 handsets running the latest OS (mixture of 1st Gen iPhones, 3G and 3GS) and have seen none of these issues. So it definitely seems like you're in the minority. A trip to an apple store or an AASP would be a very good move for you.

FWIW we have over 30 handsets running the latest OS (mixture of 1st Gen iPhones, 3G and 3GS) and have seen none of these issues. So it definitely seems like you're in the minority. A trip to an apple store or an AASP would be a very good move for you.

Graham, thanks for taking the time and the interest to respond.

I am contacting my local store (186 miles away - not so local!) to arrange a genius bar appointment tommorrow, you can only book 72 hrs in advance apparently! The girl I spoke to recently at the store in question said that she has the problem on here own 3G and a colleague in the shop who has a 2G also has the problem! They both feel that the only reliable way to fix the issue (they had themselves tried all the tricks known to the Apple genius staff to no avail) was to wait for a fix, which they had no idea when it would appear, when I pressed them to see if they would contemplate swapping my 3G (out of warranty) for another with 3.0.1 they couldn't guarantee 1) They could and 2) Even if they could, whether it would have 3.0.1. so even if I gamble and make a 400 mile round trip I have no guarantee of a happy ending.

I appreciate that you have 30 owners who are unaffected but if you take the trouble to visit this thread

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...&start=1980

you will see that hundreds if not thousands are affected with extremely similar symptoms ranging from coma like behavior to dreadful battery life. Throughout the existing 133 pages the only known proven fix for most is to hack their iPhones into installing 3.0.1, this is not an action I 1)Feel comfortable doing and 2) Shoudn't need to resort to if Apple only gave me some hope.

Anyway, I subsequently have found that I have reduced the bug somewhat by disabling wifi and 3g, not ideal but at least my iPhone doesn't fall into an unresponsive state so often (on average 3 to 4 times a day)

Thanks again for your suggestion, I feel my only true hope of a solution is luck and benevolence from someone at the Apple store who has a 3.0.1 to swap me, or to wait for a fix from Apple and lord knows when/if it will appear.

Phil

Edited by philby123

I've been experiencing the comatose problem with my iPhone 3G. It has been happening once every 2-3 days I'd estimate [1]. I did a restore using iTunes 9.0.1 (as recommended by some people on the Apple discussion boards) on Tuesday evening and so far so good, but it's too early to really say whether that has fixed it.

Fingers crossed

Tim

[1] At least that's when I've noticed it. Some people have said that it wakes itself up after 5 minutes or so, in which case it could have been happening more often...

Good news, it's been one week since I restored and no comas...

Tim

Good news, it's been one week since I restored and no comas...

Tim

Strange isn't it, I did the Itunes reinstall last week and it didn't make any difference for me? I still am getting the problem, but it seems to be reduced by disabling 3g and wifi, good that you are not seeing the problem though, I guess it may be hardware dependent, what model phone do you have?

i've got a 16GB 3G (no s).

3.1 didn't bring comas, but i lose the ability to connect to the data network several times a day. Also seems to be a well know problem according to the Apple website. A restart usually fixes the problem.

Battery life is unchanged.

I'm of the opinion that the drop in data connectivity is due to the increased number of iPhones in general since the cheap as chips 8gb came out. I've noticed a massive drop in performance in central london (especially on a friday night when everyone is calling each other to make plans for the evening!), but at home in east london it's been much better.

I'm of the opinion that the drop in data connectivity is due to the increased number of iPhones in general since the cheap as chips 8gb came out. I've noticed a massive drop in performance in central london (especially on a friday night when everyone is calling each other to make plans for the evening!), but at home in east london it's been much better.

Amen! Apple have just put put 3.1.2 one of the issues it fixes is data drop out, am downloading now, fingers crossed this sorry episode will be over.

Phil

i wondered about that too, Graham. Here in the States AT&T was blaming their network problems on iPhones.

Well 2 days in since the 3.1.2 update and no comas which is the longest it's been since the debacle that was 3.1, so great for me, however there seems to be many still who it has not fixed the problem, no idea what the problem for them could be, can only theorize that different hardware configurations of iPhones maybe the persistent issue for those people - I feel their pain, especially since many such as I have the issue licked. I sincerely Apple issue another fix the issue for all versions of iPhone and ipod touch

Well 2 days in since the 3.1.2 update and no comas which is the longest it's been since the debacle that was 3.1, so great for me, however there seems to be many still who it has not fixed the problem, no idea what the problem for them could be, can only theorize that different hardware configurations of iPhones maybe the persistent issue for those people - I feel their pain, especially since many such as I have the issue licked. I sincerely Apple issue another fix the issue for all versions of iPhone and ipod touch

Hey just like to wish Huskermn and Dolphbucs a merry xmas, I know we went back and forth on this topic but no hard feelings from my end, sincerely wish you both a merry xmas and a happy new year :)

Ditto, philby.

Is it still fixed, BTW?