Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Puzzling Router/Modem Issue

I have a modem leased from the cable company and a Belkin F5D9231-4, which is the G+, wireless router. The router is less than a week old and I had it all set up and working. Saturday night I started having internet issues, completely typical, so I restarted the router. It didn't work so I went through the whole internet chicken dance of unplugging everything then plugging the modem back in and letting it booth then plugging the router back in. What started happening was that the router couldn't get a signal from the modem. The first thing I tried was swapping the Ethernet cable that connected them. No good. Next I tried changing to a different router, another Belkin unit I have in the house, also with no effect. Then I tested just plugging the Ethernet cable direct to the computer. This worked. I was completely confused as to why multiple routers wouldn't work but plugging the computer in directly would. So I decided to plug everything back in the way it should be and go to be. Next morning I woke up and everything was fine. It worked all day then about 10 that night I had the same problem with the same symptoms. No amount of restarting and power cycling things would work so I plugged it all back in and went to be again. This time it was not magically fixed in the morning. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Any suggestions? Is it possible that the modem needs to be switched even though it works when plugged in directly to the computer?

Is this only on one mac or all of your machines? And how is your mac connected to the router? Wireless or wired?

Also, are you definitely getting an IP address on your mac? And can it see the other macs on your network (try pinging them in network utility).

Edited by Graham

Is this only on one mac or all of your machines? And how is your mac connected to the router? Wireless or wired?

Also, are you definitely getting an IP address on your mac? And can it see the other macs on your network (try pinging them in network utility).

Only one mac in the house at the moment. I had to send the air to apple for service as it was choking on video.

My macbook pro is connected wirelessly. It can connect to the ip address of the router but the router reports no internet connection and the front of that router has a nice big blinking thing that tells you if it's connected to the modem or not. It says not. Didn't think to try connecting to the router with a cable, will do, but it seems to be an issue before the router as the internal network appears to be working fine based on the ability to connect to the router. I also have a airport express on the network. I could try connecting to that as a test. Or printing wirelessly perhaps.

Edited by joshr

In that case, it does sound like the modem is on the blink. I just wanted to rule out a problem with your mac, as apart from the modem, it was the one piece of the puzzle you hadn't changed.

In that case, it does sound like the modem is on the blink. I just wanted to rule out a problem with your mac, as apart from the modem, it was the one piece of the puzzle you hadn't changed.

So you don't think the modem is on the fritz? Seems like the one thing I haven't changed. Even though I can't imagine why the modem would supply an IP address to a computer but not a router the modem is the oldest thing in the system and the only thing I can't test. I did notice that when connecting to the computer directly I had to renew the dhcp lease a few times in order to get internet on the computer. Since I am not used to having to do that perhaps the modem is working but not immediately supplying an IP address. Since the router can't request a new IP address as quickly as the computer it's trying once every time I restart it, not getting it, and then not able to immediately request again. I don't know, what can I say? Grasping at straws. If I can make it I am going to take the modem to the cable company and request a new one tonight. If that doesn't work I have no idea what to try next.

I got a new modem and you were right, no help. What ended up needing to happen is that I called Belkin's support and they had me turn off the wireless and plug the router into the computer with ethernet. Then we connected to the router and cloned the mac address and all was well. So what the hell? Why did it stop working then start the stop again when I hadn't changed anything? Why did it now need the mac address cloned?