Sign in to follow this  
joenspa

Any Protools users in here? Need backup ideas.

A friend of mine works in a studio where their main drive and their SuperDuper clone crashed on the same day. They want to go to a multiple drive back up system now, obviously. Any thoughts on operating Protools with a raid whatever that duplicates the data? Also anyone every use Time Machine with Protools?

Thanks,

Joe

Protools runs fine on a RAID (I've used it on RAID 5 and RAID 6, both on Promise Vtraks).

But for gods sake, don't use time machine. If you're looking at a raid type system (presumably with terabytes of data), I'd go with a backup to tape. I backup our RAIDs to an Overland ArcVault LTO3 drive using Retrospect, and it works reasonably well. Multiple backup sets allow us to rotate them off site.

I've run a dual RAID 0 array in a single PowerMac G5 for months on end with no problem. I had 2 750GB drives striped together via Disk Utility for a 1.5TB volume that Leopard, applications, home user accounts, etc was on and then I had 3 500GB drives striped together for Time Machine backups. So 3TB total in the system with half of the hard drive space for my incremental backups. I quit with this setup because I was running out of "usable" space on the 1.5TB volume. Later on I switched to 250GB hard drive for the OS, home user accounts, etc and moved my 1TB+ iTunes library to a Drobo where it could expand up to 16TB in size. I've also quit using Time Machine and now use an application called Crashplan. It's backup destination for my G5, MBP, and 13 other computers local and across the country is all on the Drobo as well. Not only do I have a local backup to the Drobo but I also back up to CrashPlanCentral for $4 something dollars a month. It works with PPC / Intel computers, Linux, Mac, Windows, and Solaris operating systems. As far as the RAID setup, it depends on your needs. I didn't have any use for a mirrored array but the need for incremental backups. Using a software raid solution plus the internal SATA card that I have in my G5 has given me many configurable options as well as trouble free use for nearly two years.

Also, your Crashplan backup (if it's backup up the entire disk or array) can be a bootable volume with a quick line of text in the terminal. If hard drive costs were no object, I would also use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper for less than 2 minute downtime if an array goes down.