harry747

backup app

Hi.

I recently had a situation where I needed to restore something from a backup. The problem is that time machine screwed up big time, resulting in the loss of about a month's worth of stuff. Because of that, I'm not gonna trust time machine again. Now the question is, can anyone recommend something more reliable than time machine?

the hard disk that I used for time machine is still connected, and it is ready to be used for whatever I use next.

SuperDuper, without a doubt. I use a combination of SuperDuper (one at home, one at work), time machine and backblaze. The last two are just last resort backups really (plus the convenience of time machine as it works wirelessly), but superduper is the one I trust.

The problem is that time machine doesn't back up the files in my home folder, probably because I use filevault. Does superduper back up those files?

Anyway, gotta check out superduper.

You will need to be logged in as a different (non-filevault) user, but it will back up the encrypted image that your home directory is stored in.

Then it's no better than TM, because the problem was that I couldn't restore the files from within my user folder. I had to restore the whole thing, and that took me back amonth instead of a day.

Any other suggestions?

chronosync? The whole idea of a cloned backup is that it's identical to the original - that's it's biggest strength.

The ability to restore everything in one go is nice, but what's the point if i can't restore single files? If TM could do that, I wouldn't have lost all that stuff. YMMV, but I think any backup app that can't restore individual files is useless.

Have you tried superduper? Like I said, it CAN restore single files.

It can? Even from within a filevault-protected user folder? I was under the impression that superduper can only backup and restore the whole user folder as one file. Hmmm...

Anyway, I'll check it out...

Edited by harry747

I tried it out yesterday and the very files I want to save (the ones in my home folder) were the only ones NOT backed up :-(

Did you follow the manual for filevault backups? As I've done exactly what you're asking for before. Perform the backup from a non-filevault admin account and all will be well.

I wouldn't trust Filevault for protecting my files. I use encrypted disk images created with Disk Utility. Most of the images for receipts, finances, etc are all in small 40MB dmg's that in my Dropbox folder along with all of my documents. I have access to my files from any of my computers or virtual machines. I tried sparse bundles at one point in time but Dropbox broke them up into 8MB separate bands instead of treating it as a single file. No biggee, dmg is fine with me. If you want to encrypt your *whole* computer I would strongly suggest PGP Whole Disk Encryption. They know what they are doing and I'd trust them over any other disk / home user account encryption methods. I'm also not a Time Machine user anymore. After I heard about Crashplan found at www.crashplan.com, I quit using TM all together. It offers *many* more features than what TM offers. At this point in time I don't have a bootable clone of either of my computers. I have a PowerMac G5 and a MacBook Pro. I don't need a bootable clone. I can access my data from the cloud or from any operating system. (Windows, Mac, Linux, and even Solaris). I won't stand on the soap box preaching the benifits of Crashplan as a local and offsite backup solution. Check it out for sure.