themole

Finder - how to get the same view all the time

I would like to have the exact same size, view options for every single Finder window. Even though I click on:

ctrl click - Show View Options - and mark "Calculate all sizes" and then click "Use as Defaults" it just doesn't stay the same. I always want it to calculate the sizes and I want the columns set up to be the same too.

Any help appreciated greatly. This has always puzzled me and never found a solution.

i've never found a solution either – frustrating.

also, I don't know why the columns won't automatically resize to fit the text. I hope SL fixes this, but I don't know.

Can none of the gurus answer this question? Wow! I bet it annoys 23.7% of all mac users.

The reason why nobody has answered is that there is no solution. "Use as Defaults" is the setting for the first time you open the window of any specific folder. You can then set the view of the window of each specific folder but there is no setting that will make every finder window of every folder look the same. Just the way it is.

Thanks for your answer anyway. I wonder then what alternatives to the finder could be recommended by the members here.

Pathfinder is pretty good. I had to stop using it after getting frustrated when working on other people's macs unfortunately!

What you need to do is delete the .DS_Store files for every folder. That resets ALL folders/icons to their default locations, views, etc. You can use something like Cocktail to accomplish this easily. I'm sure there are other alternatives as well. Then all folders will open with default sizes/etc.

Also, I know there's a way to use a Terminal command to do that, but I won't even bother trying to figure it out because if you make a mistake in the command you can do all sorts of damage - I'm thinking of a specific one where looking for files beginning with a dot (like .DS_Store) where when you execute the command it treats the dot as a reference to the previous folder, climbing up the folder structure until it reaches the hard drive root. Basically you end up with a blank disk at the end - it's not pretty.

Well, if the defaults were the views I wanted then I'd be happy with that. But the defaults aren't I guess - the next solution would be how to change the defaults....

I've seen cocktail delete the .DS files, I don't like terminal commands that can delete my hard drive :P

Thanks for your help.

Well, if the defaults were the views I wanted then I'd be happy with that. But the defaults aren't I guess - the next solution would be how to change the defaults....

I've seen cocktail delete the .DS files, I don't like terminal commands that can delete my hard drive :P

Thanks for your help.

Oops, didn't read the earlier posts. There is no real way to set the defaults for all folders simultaneously. UNLESS there's a prototype .DS_Store file somewhere. Anybody? Maybe there's a default .DS_Store file we could modify?

In any case, I agree with Path Finder. It's a lot more powerful than the Finder and it works really well. You could also try Leap if you want a replacement for the Finder that uses tagging. It's not for everyone, but if it works for you, it's really awesome.

Edited by macfan777