Ron in KY

Ipod Mini low battery, how to charge

I just got an ipod mini 2GB off ebay, the battery is dead that when i turn it on, it beeps like 4 times with a picture of a battery with a bold through it. likes it charging cause I have it in my USB of my Macbook. Then after a few minutes i get the apple logo it seems to reboot itself and then say dont disconnect , and then the beeping and then it just keeps doing this over and over,occasionally seeing a message saying there is no power please but on charger, well its plugged into USB, it appears I dont know how to shut the unit off to charge... How do I do this?

Ron

Sounds like the battery has worn out. They will do this after awhile as any rechargeable battery has a limited number of charge cycles. Even if the Mini has "never been used" the battery may not work properly due to lack of use for so long. I believe an Apple store will switch out the battery for about $60 or you could try getting a new battery online ( from a reputable dealer this time ... I wouldn't trust e-bay on this ) and thy to replace it yourself. Sorry

Yes, Dolphbucs explained it very well. Seeing as the last iPod mini was made over 4 years ago it is very likely that even a "new" mini would have a dead battery. Choices are either to change the battery, as Dolphbucs suggested, or better yet - spend a little more money and get a new (or even used) nano.

Apple Geek

They were exactly the symptoms my bird's iPod mini exhibited - I think after a couple of years of heavy use - and one new battery later it's still going strong.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I put a battery in my nephew's iPod mini, it wasn't very hard and cost less than $20, iirc.

roog

I replaced the batteries in a couple of older iPods (a 1st Gen and a 3rd Gen) and they worked great afterwards. Don't know about the Mini but here's a link to OWC.