Sign in to follow this  
McKenzie Carlile

PowerMac G4 Dual 867

I just bought a PowerMac G4 without an operating system, completely wiped hard drive. I have a Leopard install disk, but when I put the disk in, all I get is an apple logo with the spinning gear. The disk will not eject. Whats goin' on?!?!?!?

be patient. it may just be loading really s-l-o-w-l-y. Also, this is just a stab in the dark, but back in the day I recall having to install certain drivers before you could install the system. Something to do with a BootROM maybe?

Hold down the mouse button when it's off and then turn it on. Keep it held down until the disk ejects.

Hold down the mouse button when it's off and then turn it on. Keep it held down until the disk ejects.

Thanks. Disk is out. I have verified my disk to be a retail copy of Leopard. I replaced the disk and let it run (because I have heard that it takes a really long time sometime?). My PowerMac G4 is still giving me an apple logo with spinning gear, taunting me. Do I need to boot the computer holding down a certain key or something to launch the installer? Once again, the hard drive has been wiped, no OS.

Thanks

AFTER SOME RESEARCH: I have ascertained that my computer may not have a DVD drive. I have heard of target disk mode, but I do not have a firewire cable. Can I do this over CAT 6 ethernet? Can I put my MacBook into target disk mode and boot using the option key on the wiped powermac?

AFTER SOME RESEARCH: I have ascertained that my computer may not have a DVD drive. I have heard of target disk mode, but I do not have a firewire cable. Can I do this over CAT 6 ethernet? Can I put my MacBook into target disk mode and boot using the option key on the wiped powermac?

You need a firewire cable to use target disk mode. It won't work over ethernet.

I would either buy a FW cable or, if you have an older system CD that you could boot the G4 from, then you should be able to turn on DVD/CD sharing on your MB and use the DVD drive that way over ethernet.