Sign in to follow this  
jonnygreen

Slow Mac Pro

Hi,

I have (what I thought was) a pretty fast Mac Pro, with 2 Quad Core Intel Xeon 3Ghx processors, and 6gb RAM.

I have a number of Hard Drives (4 in total), the main boot disc is a 500GB 7200 rpm Hitachi with about only 20gb free.

It's been so slow of late, especially running Sketchup Pro, but even Safari takes 5-7 bounces before opening, and Address Book 3-4.

I recently did a fresh OS X Snow Leopard install on one of the HD's and migrated all my settings and apps, and it's made little or no difference.

My worry is that using a new Macbook Pro in the Apple Store recently, all the apps opened with in 1 or 2 bounces on the dock, and then straight into the program.

With that in mind, surely my fairly well spec-ed Mac pro shouldn't be so much slower?

I'd really appreciate any feedback as to a) Whether people think the Mac pro spec is a decent one/ fast enough for normal use (surely it is?)

B) Whether adding more RAM or a bigger HD to have more space would improve the usability at all?

I don't want to spend money on RAM if it's not going to help much

Or do people think that maybe there's a hardware issue somewhere.

To me, having used Macs for years, this machine now seems way more sluggish than it ought to be, esp with a fresh OS install (which was done by erasing the disk and starting from scratch, no upgrade)

Any thoughts or help much appreciated,

Thanks,

Jonathan

Edited by jonnygreen

... the main boot disc is a 500GB 7200 rpm Hitachi with about only 20gb free.

Remember the old 10% rule? OS X uses the boot HD for more than just storing data and apps. It has always been recommended that you keep at least 10% of your HD free for such things as swap files, etc. ( see numerous Apple support articles and I believe that Adam has mentioned this a few times on Maccast ) I don't know for sure but it could be that with Snow leopard this is more true than ever. Free up another 30 GB and see if that helps.

Remember the old 10% rule? OS X uses the boot HD for more than just storing data and apps. It has always been recommended that you keep at least 10% of your HD free for such things as swap files, etc. ( see numerous Apple support articles and I believe that Adam has mentioned this a few times on Maccast ) I don't know for sure but it could be that with Snow leopard this is more true than ever. Free up another 30 GB and see if that helps.

Thanks,

I've moved a load of files and now have 120GB free, but it's made hardly any difference.

Firefox for example bounces about 15 times and then takes a further 10 seconds to open the window.

Safari bounces about 8 times and takes a further 5 seconds to display.

It just feels so much slower than it ought to be. 6 GB of RAM should be plenty shouldn't it?

Migrating your user account is no different to an upgrade really. You'll still have a whole ton of crap in your user's library folder. I'd do a complete clone and then do a clean install, reinstall your apps, drag over your documents etc, and drag over a few selected library folders (such as mail, calendars, address book etc) - but remember to check that your clone is bootable before starting this!