Sign in to follow this  
MacFanatic

Time for my TimeCapsule

Hi All,

Well it appears that today is the day for my first gen timecapsule. When I got home it was sending off a loud buzzing noise which I assume is the harddrive spinning or the fan dying. It starts to power cycle itself as it is making the buzzing noise. However even though it is flashing orange now, I still have internet access. Has anyone had any luck with a replacement from apple? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

It's a bit late now, but you've discovered the problem with buying an all in one device. Hard drives die all the time, whilst routers on the whole will run for years. I recommend an airport extreme and an external hard drive - so when the drive dies you can easily replace it. No matter what apple said, the drives in time capsules are definitely not "server grade".

It's a bit late now, but you've discovered the problem with buying an all in one device. Hard drives die all the time, whilst routers on the whole will run for years. I recommend an airport extreme and an external hard drive - so when the drive dies you can easily replace it. No matter what apple said, the drives in time capsules are definitely not "server grade".

I'm not the only one, if you remember, Adam was talking about this issue a few episodes back. Also, I have several western digital hard drives that I've had for years, and haven't had any problems with them; but I do know drives die.

I too would never buy "all in one" devices such as Time Capsule for the reason mentioned - which explains why I've only ever bought Mac minis - though I'd like a Mac Pro for the extra processing power when it comes to video rendering. (That said there may be a saving in the long run - not least on energy.) Anyway, this may be of interest.