MyJRNY

Firewire connection doesn't match

So...

Yay! I bought a MacBook Pro about 6 weeks ago.

Boo... my G4 tower finally shuffled off this mortal coil this week.

Yay! They saved my hard drive, put it in a housing (which I refer to as The Urn), and I theoretically have all my data.

Boo... I just tried to plug it in to do my Migration Assistant work and there seems to be no connection on the mac. I see something marked firewire, but it isn't the same shape as this traditional plug I have.

I'm assuming (and haven't even googled the topic yet) that my new machine is so new that this older plug is no longer supported. BUT... Is there such thing as a plug that is old on one end, new on the other end, and will still move my data without any trouble. This thing has my EVERYTHING on it. I'm trying not to panic. The repair shop is closed until tomorrow, but I'd like to fix this today and if it is as simple as a trip to Best Buy, I'm willing to free myself of the hate I'm having for the repair shop who knew all of this info above and proceeded with Plan Fail.

I should have just brought in my machine and had them to the MA. Oh well.

Advise me, please! :-)

I assume the enclosure they gave you has firewire 400 and the current macbook pros only come with fw800. Pick up a firewire 400 to 800 cable and you'll be done.

I assume the enclosure they gave you has firewire 400 and the current macbook pros only come with fw800. Pick up a firewire 400 to 800 cable and you'll be done.

I did and perhaps I was sold the wrong cable because it does not fit. The one I purchased is that same connection that are on most/all cameras. It is close, but it still doesn't fit. Thanks for responding to my question, though. It's frustrating when simple things get complicated! :-)

yea, I really dont understand why they took off the 400 since its starting to become more common. I do like the increased speed of the 800 but there are not very many devices with FW800 much less 400.

Edited by markbin

There are 3 types of FIREWIRE plugs.

Firewire 400 4pin (on most new PC laptops) THE ONE ON THE LEFT

File:FireWire_cables.jpg

Firewire 400 6pin (on older mac hardware and PCI cards and hard drives etc)

File:Firewire6-pin.jpg

Firewire 800 9pin (on newer macs and high-end drive enclosures)

File:Firewire800plug.jpg

there are conversion cables for every firewire cable to every other firewire cable. check out monoprice.com they are very cheap compared to any retail store!

(on the "?" images you have to open them in a new link to see the images)

Edited by pwnusmaximus