Sign in to follow this  
Daniel D

Problem moving location of iTunes Media folder

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a problem I'm having moving the location of my iTunes Media folder?

My iTunes library is currently stored on a 100GB Seagate portable USB hard drive. The total library size is just over 50GB.

I want to transfer it to a 250GB Iomega portable USB hard drive that I have just bought.

With both drives connected, I changed the iTunes Media folder location within iTunes 9.0.2 via iTunes>Preferences>Advanced to a new folder on the Iomega drive. This part works fine, however when I then select File>Library>Organise library from within iTunes, check the Consolidate Files checkbox and then hit Okay, I immediately receive an error message stating "There is not enough room on Iomega HD to copy all the requested files".

This should not be the case as I have approx 170GB of available space on the Iomega drive.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? I have also tried (as a test) transferring the location of my library to my Time Machine backup drive, which has around 300GB of free space, but this is also resulting in the same problem which pretty much rules out the likelihood of a problem with the new Iomega drive.

Cheers

Sounds like you are following Apple's recommended procedure, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

That should work fine, but obviously isn't so let's try something else.

1) With iTunes pointed at the music in it's current location on the 100GB HD. Do the File --> Library --> Consolidate Library... making sure the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" option is checked. This will ensure everything is consolidated and organized into your current music folder.

2) Now in the Finder locate your iTunes Music folder. It's typically in the Music --> iTunes folder and called 'iTunes Music'. Copy that in the Finder to your desired location on the new Iomega HD

3) Now change the Music Location setting iTunes in (ITunes --> Preferences --> Advanced) and point it to the music folder you just moved to the Iomega drive.

4) Once again do a File --> Library --> Consolidate Library... to update the Library for the new location.

Let us know if that works out.

Thanks for your suggestion; I tried it out but unfortunately I'm still having the same problem.

First I ensured that my library was consolidated on the Seagate drive and that I had the option to 'Keep iTunes Media folder organised' checked.

I then used Finder to copy the iTunes Music folder on the Seagate drive to the root of the Iomega drive, which worked fine.

Next I pointed iTunes to the new location of the folder - also fine. However, upon selecting File --> Library --> Consolidate Library... to update the Library for the new location, I again received the same error as before.

I noted that after changing iTunes to point to the new location of the folder, an empty folder named 'Automatically Add to iTunes' was created within it. I think this is part of the new 'iTunes Media' folder structure. Then, after selecting to consolidate the library (the point at which the process is failing) a folder structure of Music>Unknown Artist>Unknown Album was also created within the folder.

I have also tried re-formatting the Iomega drive and following Apple's recommended procedure again, but had no joy with that.

Plus I have also verified that the drive has no problems using Disk Utility.

Not sure what else could be the problem; I'm going to try temporarily changing my account to an Admin and see if that makes any difference.

Is there any likelihood that the amount of free space on the Seagate USB hard drive or my internal Macintosh HD would cause problems?

My Macintosh HD has approx 12GB free and the Seagate drive has 34GB free...

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Tried changing my user account to have Admin privileges and then changing the folder location and consolidating in iTunes, but still encountering the same problem.

Do you have the 'Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized' option checked?

Yes, I have both 'Keep iTunes Media folder organised' and 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' checked in the Advanced section of iTunes Preferences.

I don't know whether this should matter at all, but prior to attempting to transfer my library to the new Iomega drive I had made sure it was fully consolidated, and also selected the (new?) option to 'Upgrade to iTunes Media organisation'.

I can't see that this should be a problem, but as it seems to be a relatively new option I wonder if anyone else has had problems with it?

Cheers

Daniel, have you been successful yet? If so, can you share how? I am experiencing the same basic problem, have researched and tried every suggestion I've found, but continue to get the "not enough room" error from iTunes.

The only thing different in my case is that previously I had my library on an external USB drive but have now replaced my internal SATA with a 2TB drive and want to move the library back (to maximize the external as a Time Machine backup).

My library is about 120GB and contains roughly 23,000 songs. Needless to say, I have lots of playlists that I don't want to lose so consolidating, instead of copying the folder in the finder and simply adding everything over again, is my preferred solution.

Like I said I think I've tried every solution any one has posted. Please let me know if something worked for you.

Thanks.

This probably won't help but what I do whenever "starting from scratch" is always create a separate iTunes folder on whatever drive I want to place my iTunes data on (emulating the iTunes folder in the Music Folder of the user Home folder). The first time I launch iTunes I do so with the option key and select the location of the iTunes Folder ... thusly the iTunes Library folder and all iTunes support folders are created within that folder. I then "add to library" all files from my source folders with the options to "Keep itunes Organized" and "copy files to iTunes Media Folder" selected. This copies all media to the new iTunes folder. Now, from this point on, I have a self-contained and complete iTunes folder containing everything. If I want to re-locate, I simply move that folder to a new drive, and then the next time I launch iTunes, do so with option pressed and select the new location ... no messy consolidation required.

As I said , I know this doesn't help much with the above trouble, but if you ever do have to start over, or for those just casually reading this thread, perform the above procedure once and you'll be set.

Edited by Dolphbucs

I had this very same problem. In iTunes 9 you can manually consolidate files with right click then consolidate. I started doing that alphabetically. The groups that wouldn't transfer for me were D, H and R. These were also the first letters of my three iTunes LPs (The Doors, Highway 61 and The Resistance). I manually backed up the iTunes LP files (not the songs just the 200+ mb file) and removed it from my iTunes account. I then went to File->Library->Organise Library and tried consolidating again. It worked!

So long story short, try removing the iTunes LP files from your library and consolidate. Then manually add your iTunes LPs back into your library in the new location.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Jaste

I just realised there had been a few more replies to this post. Thanks for your suggestions. It's interesting to hear other people are having the same problem too.

I did finally manage to get my library transferred successfully to the larger external drive, albeit not in the most convenient of ways.

Unfortunately it was several months ago so the details of exactly what I did are a little hazy.

To the best of what I can remember, I know that I began by ensuring the iTunes library was fully consolidated on the original external drive.

I then took the somewhat arduous task of using iTunes to backup the entire library and playlists to dual-layer DVDs (within iTunes select File > Library > Back Up to Disc...)

This took 10 discs and a considerable amount of time, but at least it was good to know I had a permanent backup should anything go wrong.

The next step was to quit out of iTunes and then connect the new external drive on which I wanted to store my iTunes library.

I then re-launched iTunes whilst holding down the option key, which gives the option of creating a new library.

I made a new 'iTunes' folder on the external drive and specified this as the location for my new iTunes library.

iTunes then opened with a totally 'empty' library as you would expect.

Finally I inserted the first of the backup DVDs. Once inserted iTunes recognised the DVD as an iTunes library backup and asked if I wanted to restore the library.

It was then a straightforward task of re-inserting each backup DVD in turn as iTunes requested it and waiting for the entire process to complete.

I seem to remember having some minor problems in relation to playlists transferring over, but I was able to sort this out afterwards by exporting the playlists from my old library and then importing them into the new one. All in all it wasn't the most ideal of methods but it got the job done!