MyJRNY

Cheap iMac for my daughter

It is running OS 9.2 w 333 processor (or thereabouts...the specs aren't in front of me) and 256 MB of memory w a 6G hard drive (this still makes me laugh out loud...my iPhone has a 8GB hard drive). But she'll just be playing online Flash-based games on it. I'd like to download or find cheap game software for her, too (she's 8).

Help needed:

Link to the best Flash download

Link to the best browser download (of if the IE 5 that is on there is best, let me know that)

Link to gaming downloads

Thanks so much! The Maccast Forums never let me down. :-)

It is running OS 9.2 w 333 processor (or thereabouts...the specs aren't in front of me) and 256 MB of memory w a 6G hard drive (this still makes me laugh out loud...my iPhone has a 8GB hard drive). But she'll just be playing online Flash-based games on it. I'd like to download or find cheap game software for her, too (she's 8).

Help needed:

Link to the best Flash download

Link to the best browser download (of if the IE 5 that is on there is best, let me know that)

Link to gaming downloads

Thanks so much! The Maccast Forums never let me down. :-)

If I were you, I'd try to get Panther or Tiger installed on it and use Safari or Firefox. Perhaps you have an old installation disk lying around or you can borrow one that a friend is no longer using?

iCab is a modern (or at least modernish) browser that you can use if you stick with OS 9, you can download the version for OS 9 (2.9.9) here: http://www.icab.de/dl.php

I'm not sure if it supports flash, but I think that it would be better than IE.

Hope this helps

If I were you, I'd try to get Panther or Tiger installed on it and use Safari or Firefox. Perhaps you have an old installation disk lying around or you can borrow one that a friend is no longer using?

iCab is a modern (or at least modernish) browser that you can use if you stick with OS 9, you can download the version for OS 9 (2.9.9) here: http://www.icab.de/dl.php

I'm not sure if it supports flash, but I think that it would be better than IE.

Hope this helps

I think I have both Panther & Tiger lying around here. I'd be concerned that the machine's system resources could handle OSX. You think it's fine?

It also is has a version of Netscape Communicator...is that just as bad as IE?

Thanks for answering my questions! :-)

I think I have both Panther & Tiger lying around here. I'd be concerned that the machine's system resources could handle OSX. You think it's fine?

It also is has a version of Netscape Communicator...is that just as bad as IE?

Thanks for answering my questions! :-)

I think that both browsers would be brutaly outdated and have trouble with 2009's internet. I had Panther running on a 450mhz or so iMac no problem. It was slow, but worked fine for a simple internet computer. I doubt it will be able to run very many Flash games under any operating system, however. I remember my 800mhz iBook G3 having trouble with Flash, it can be pretty intense.

According to Apple's website, all you need for Tiger is at least a G3 and 256mb of ram, although I have a feeling Panther would be faster based on messing with OS X on a couple of older macs.

Firefox needs 10.4, though, and I've heard that Firefox has the best performance with Flash on slower macs. The version of Safari that comes with Panther or that Panther supports, though, may be fine, however.

When I had a similar Mac, I ran an older version of Camino and used it mainly as a glorified German dictionary and light browsing computer.