Thawley

Experiences with 2.5" SATA HD/FW800 Enclosures?

Short version: I'm looking for a good, fast, portable 2.5" hard drive enclosure.

Full version: I had a similar setup with my PowerBook G4 and it worked bitchen. But that's all obsolete now & I need the modern equivalent... What I did last time was buy a new, big/fast 2.5" drive for the laptop. That left me with a better performing laptop. And a 2.5" Apple OEM hard drive left over. MacGurus sold an empty 2.5" portable drive enclosure with USB-II and FW400 connectors. It was a nice little photographer's road warrior setup that saw use only for overnight/travel jobs or as backup for the occasional off-site editing session or presentation gig.

Worked slick.

So now I'm starting again with a new 15" 2.8GHz MBP and new 500GB 7200rpm Seagate. The 5400rpm OEM drive needs a new home and while we're at it, upping the ante to FW800 seems in order.

So this is where I seek the experiences of those who've traveled this path before or may be geeks enough to know something about the different controller chipsets (which I do not).

Examples on the theme…

Tango Pro

Oyen Digital EB2

This one (which appears to be the same manufacture as the ATA to FW400 unit I had before)

Weibetech

I realize I'm getting a little OCD on the research here, but I'm not in a huge hurry and I hate dealing with issues & returns. An once of prevention... something something.

Thanks.

PS: When the prices get more reasonable I'm planning to use the 500GB/7200rpm drive for data only and an SSD as the boot drive. Looking forward to that once the kairos is right.

Edited by Thawley

I've got one of these and it's been great. I did the same thing with my MBP, took out the original and put in a Seagate 500gb drive.

http://tinyurl.com/hghfm

roog