Sign in to follow this  
TheEnglishClutch

Folder Permissions in Snow Leopard

I have been having this problem over the past few weeks. When I first created my user on the mac, I wanted to have all folders private, locked and only readable by my user. However I need to access them on the windows side (Windows XP via Boot Camp) and also on other users on the mac. Is there a simple way to switch all files and folders under my username to read and write all users, or at least read by all users. I have tried to do this to the main user Folder, however It will make the folder readable, but all folders inside it remain locked and unreadable, meaning I have to enter my password and change folder permissions on each folder to allow me to access the files on another user on the Mac. On windows, due to locking the folders, I cannot even see them, however I can see other users files on the mac side, just not mind due to the folder restrictions.

I hope I've made it clear enough, need to know anything else and I'll reply very soon, hope you'll be able to help me out in some way.

Thanks, -Mark.

PS: Keep up the podcast, it's the reason why I came here for help. :)

Try This ... Right click your Home folder. Then click "get info". Unlock the padlock and make sure that "staff" and "everyone" are set to "Read & Write" or "Read Only" ( whichever you prefer ). Then click the "gear box" button to the right of the "+/-" buttons and click on "apply to enclosed items". See if that does the trick.

Try This ... Right click your Home folder. Then click "get info". Unlock the padlock and make sure that "staff" and "everyone" are set to "Read & Write" or "Read Only" ( whichever you prefer ). Then click the "gear box" button to the right of the "+/-" buttons and click on "apply to enclosed items". See if that does the trick.

I have tried this, however it doesn't seem to work. Furthermore, now I can't view other mac users files on their userspaces, I don't know why though. Any further help would be much appreciated. Thanks again, -Mark.

The fact that you cannot view other Mac users' files inside their user acct leads me to believe that something might have gotten messed up when you " wanted to have all folders private, locked and only readable by my user ". I am firstly assuming that you have tried running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility ( if you haven't I would try that ). Just how did make all your folders "private and locked" in the first place? The error may have occurred when you performed that process ....

especially if you were making adjustments while running as administrator.

Also, one other observation ( and I'm making a huge assumption here ) but it sounds to me as though you were running as Administrator with your original User acct. It is my belief ( and I believe Adam has stated that he agrees with this thought in the past ) that when you first set up your Mac, one of the first things to do is set up a limited user acct for daily use ( keep your original Admin acct only for performing things that absolutely need to be done under that acct ... and this is rare .... for example I have been running Macs since 2006 now and can count on one hand the times I needed to log into my admin acct). This way, if you start "messing around" with things like permissions, it is a lot harder to screw up the whole system ( there are other security advantages to running as limited also ).

Edited by Dolphbucs

I can understand why you made that assumption, but I originally started off with a Limited account, but then when I had to keep on entering the admin's password I switched to an admin account after about 6 months or so. Anyway I'm pretty sure that I did modify my userspace so it was Locked when I was an admin, and I did this by selecting More Info on my user and checking the box 'Locked'. I have just ran Repair Permissions in Disk Utility, and this seems to have helped a little but still files and folders are not readable. How would I go about making my user 'Read and Write' access to staff? Because you mentioned that originally and I did make everyone as read and write, but couldn't find staff anywhere.

Thanks again for the help, sorry for the late reply.

-Mark.

Locking a file or folder means it cannot be modifiable by anyone, even admins.

To make your files accessible to everyone, you need them read / write by the "everyone" group.

Something like...

20100112-e8qpte14xffq69yi8cuuxrew1k.jpg

Thanks Graham. Yes that is what I have done, I just can't seem to select staff as an option, the only two I've been able to do are the individual users and the everyone group. Please could you help me with setting it up so staff can also read and write, thanks.

Ok, I've managed to get staff permissions set to read write as well now, as show in this picture. FolderPermissions.png

I will see if this works on other users and shows up in Windows, I hope it does. However if it doesn't then I will probably make a new user on the mac and move all my files over to there and then it should have the default read/write permissions.