dseven313

Watch TV through iMac?

Does anyone know of a way or have any tips tricks to watch TV through my new iMac 27"?

Or can i hook up a DVB Box (Dreambox or Eurovox) to the iMac and watch via that way? - seems a shame not to use the fantastic screen to its full potential.

FYI: im in the UK on a UK Satellite and Cable Service or FTA DVB-T Service.

When I watch TV on my computer I use the BBC iPlayer mostly, but Channel 4 and ITV have their own versions of these players where you can view TV shows on the Internet that have already been broadcast on TV. You can utilise your massive 27" screen by playing the shows full-screen - I think all of these players have the option to play programmes in full screen.

Edited by R94N

When I watch TV on my computer I use the BBC iPlayer mostly, but Channel 4 and ITV have their own versions of these players where you can view TV shows on the Internet that have already been broadcast on TV. You can utilise your massive 27" screen by playing the shows full-screen - I think all of these players have the option to play programmes in full screen.

This is a good alternative, but I'm assuming that he wanted a really nice quality TV picture so then his screen wouldn't go 'to waste', although the BBC iPlayer and other alternatives are great, the picture quality is sometimes lacking.

get an Elgato usb DVB stick...

they are cheap and work so so well*, I love mine and the software bundled with is extremely good.

*the quality of your signal is crucial to it working well but thats not an Elagto issue, if you can't connect to a Roof aerial then you'll probably need to add a powered aerial to the budget.

A second vote here for Elgato. I've got three of their DVB-T sticks and they - and especially the software - are great. I was tempted by their DVB-S offering - not least so I could get HD - but the lack of a free EPG (and the poor quality of the optional paid-for one) put me off. So, unless the Freesat mob allow Elgato to decrypt that I'll have to hope a Freeview HD capable device comes out soon - not least for the World Cup - though the area where my Macs currently are won't be getting that for some time.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard