Finlay

Computer troubleshooting

I all,

I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom.

A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes.

The same thing happen even if the hard disk is disconnected: every time I start windows it go to freeze a little after the password, and every time I connect and disconnect a usb device.

I have looked for the solution everywhere, updated windows, unistalled and installed the hard disk from the device manager but I solved the problem only when I restored a recent backup.

Yesterday the Hard disk was writing a backup while Vista was installing the updates; at the end of the proceure windows restarted automatically and the problem began again!!!

The Pc go to freeze when it starts, every time I connect or disconnect the hard disk, an usb earphone that has always worked switch on but there is no audio and I don't know how many others usb devices will have problems.

Has anyone an idea to solve this problem before I throw out of the window Vista or the the hard disk?

Thank you

Never seen gift ideas like these! (geschenkideen on german or regalos originales on espanol), foto matrimonio

When you disconnected the drive during a write, you probably corrupted something on the drive. Everything else that has happened since then is just chance. I assume that you are running Vista on a Mac through Bootcamp. If that is the case, your best option is to recover any data you can off the external drive and then re-format the drive ( as an NTFS drive, of course, if you just want to use it for Windows or need it to have a Windows partition larger than 32 GB ). BTW this is not a Windows issue ... the same thing could have happened if you disconnected a drive from OS X during a write ... so be careful in the future.

Edited by Dolphbucs

but the disc on another pc works fine, so I do not think that the disc is damaged ...

meanwhile thanks the same.

Bye

Then you may have caused a glitch on your Bootcamp install of Windows. If so, you will need to re-install windows on your bootcamp partition. It is also possible that there is a problem with the USB connector on the Mac. Have you tried any other external drives on your Mac using that same USB jack? If not try it both in Windows and OS X. Also, keep in mind that unlike OS X, different installations of Windows can behave with vastly different behavior depending on software installed, hardware used, etc. ( in short, no two Windows installs are exactly the same ). Therefore, even though the drive works fine on a different install of Windows on a different machine, that does not mean that there is no flaw on the drive that may prevent it from showing up on your Bootcamp install.

And, just to be clear, disconnecting any external drive ( even a thumb drive ) without ejecting ( on a Mac ) or "safely removing" ( on Windows ) is still a big no-no.

Edited by Dolphbucs