joenspa

Word Count in Text Edit

joenspa    26

Does anyone know how to get a word count in Text Edit. My niece is doing a 500-700 word easy.

Thanks.

Apple Geek    15

I assume you meant 'essay', but anyway. TextEdit doesn't appear to have a word counter. I'm sure you've probably thought of this but you could use Pages - it has a word count in the 'Get Info' window. If that's not available, I also found this website that you will tell you a word count: Link. She could just copy and paste her essay every so often to check the word count.

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

MacCast    80

You can get that by selecting the text and using the "Statistics..." option in the Services menu. If you are running Snow Leopard you can enable it via the Keyboard Shortcuts tab under the Keyboard System Preferences. It's in the Services category under the Text section.

stats_service.jpg

What's cool is the service should work in all Cocoa apps, like Safari.

word_count.jpg

You can get that by selecting the text and using the "Statistics..." option in the Services menu. If you are running Snow Leopard you can enable it via the Keyboard Shortcuts tab under the Keyboard System Preferences. It's in the Services category under the Text section.

post-2-12638797927562_thumb.jpg

What's cool is the service should work in all Cocoa apps, like Safari.

post-2-12638798660063_thumb.jpg

Where exactly is this statistics menu? I'm running Snow Leopard and it is not within the preference pane you suggest - could it have moved or been renamed?

Apple Geek    15

Where exactly is this statistics menu? I'm running Snow Leopard and it is not within the preference pane you suggest - could it have moved or been renamed?

Adam mentioned on one of his later shows that this was actually something that he downloaded a long time ago and forgot that it wasn't built in. It is a service bundle called "WordService 2.7" and it is from DEVONtechnologies. You can download it near the bottom of the page here. It's free and the instructions should tell you how to enable it in Snow Leopard.

Adam mentioned on one of his later shows that this was actually something that he downloaded a long time ago and forgot that it wasn't built in. It is a service bundle called "WordService 2.7" and it is from DEVONtechnologies. You can download it near the bottom of the page here. It's free and the instructions should tell you how to enable it in Snow Leopard.

Great stuff - many thanks.