mr.e-man

Old addresses showing up in Mail

Would appreciate your thoughts on this one ...

Our CEO just recently started using a Macbook Air running Snow Leopard. His company email account is on our Exchange 2007 server so I got him hooked up with Mail and ActiveSync. Things seem to be going OK for the most part. The biggest trouble at this point is that he continues to have "auto-complete" suggestions for names when he's composing messages that have very old email addresses. He has the most recent email address info in his Contact/Address Book. We have reviewed the Previous Recipients list in Mail to make sure there's not old info in there.

Where might these addresses be coming from? Some are over 3 years old in some cases. Does Mail crawl and harvest info from old email messages? Any thoughts are appreciated as I'm pretty much stumped on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have address book hooked up to your LDAP? That might be it.

No, no direct connection with LDAP, only what ActiveSync does by default. The old addresses that are coming up for him are not names of people in our company (Active Directory), they are personal contacts that he has.

Do the contacts in Address Book have both the current and old email addresses or just the current ones?

Do the contacts in Address Book have both the current and old email addresses or just the current ones?

No, these old addreses that are getting picked up are not in his Address Book.

Hmmm... Maybe it's related to Spotlight. Have you tried re-building the Spotlight database?

A pain in the arse, but for some reason your recents database might be corrupted. You can nuke it entirely (make sure you have a backup of the address book first! Address Book.app - File -> Export -> Address Book Archive).

- Quit Mail

- Move the following file to the Desktop (so it can be restored if things go wrong - delete it if all goes well): ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr

- Open Mail (and cross your fingers)

This will force Mail to only use the contacts from your address book / LDAP (and any others that are added to the recents list during use).

You might also want to try clearing your directoryservice cache. Just run:

dscacheutil -fushcache

Well, I was finally able to get my hands on the machine and take a look at it for myself. It is certainly odd to say the least. I did the only narcissistic thing I could think of and opened up his Mail, went to compose a message and typed in my own name in the To field. It returned several address, a couple of which are very old and not in use anymore. I verified that these addresses were not somehow tucked away in his Address Book. I also verified that Mail does not have any LDAP server settings in it - it does not.

I ran pwbeninate's suggestion of clearing the DS cache from a terminal command. No change.

I tried Graham's suggestion of blowing away the Address Book library file. No change.

So I downloaded Maintenance from Titanium (the maker of Onyx) and ran that to clear out caches and rebuild database indexes on Spotlight and Mail. No change.

Ummm ... pretty much stumped at this point. All I can say at this point is that when the old addresses pop up for me in the Mail To field they are listed as lastname firstname. He has his Address Book organized by lastname firstname, so maybe there's some relationship there. I don't know where that leads me, but it's something - maybe. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.