podgirl

iPad

So, who is going to get one? I don't need one, but I want one...

I will be getting the, uhm, iPad. I will get the 64GB WiFi only version. I'll use tethering on my jailbroken iPhone if I need Internet on the iPad when away from a WiFi hotspot. I haven't turned on tethering on my iPhone, yet, but will probably do so once I get the iPad. I'm disappointed that the screen is not 1280x768 for native 720p video playback. Yes, the iPad can play 720p H.264 videos but not a its full resolution without chopping off the sides. But, it cannot do 720p video out to a big screen TV.

I was wishing there would be two speakers so I can hear stereo wound when playing videos in landscape mode without having to use headphones or external speakers.

The icon spacing is not an issue for me because I plan to jailbreak the iPad as soon as the option is available. I doubt I will have to wait a long time for that since work is already underway with the iPad simulator.

The good stuff, well hard to tell right now. I was not expecting a full netbook experience with the iPad nor do I need such. Apple doesn't want to cut into their Macbook sales. Glad that a form of iWorks will be available even at $10 per app. The iPad + the keyboard accessory will be great for writers! However, there were no details on how to iWork documents will be synced. Also, there was no mention of MobileMe integration or Exchange support. I like the option of running games at native 320x480 resolution or full screen. However, this is probably a global setting and can't be set on a per app basis. I bet a Cydia app will take care of this, though.

No user-enabled background processes. Probably will happen in OS 4.0. In the meantime, Backgrounder will take care of this.

Saw in the specs that the iPod plays Audible.com 2, 3, and 4 formats. No mention of the 'e' enhanced 64kbps format. I hope this is simply an oversight. I did see a typo in the specs when Apple was obviously referring to a component AV cable but it read composite AV cable instead. The word "composite" was used twice.

Strange that it has a microphone but no built-in voice recorder app. It also seems strange that the compass app is missing even though there is a built-in digital compass listed in the specs. Also, no built-in clock app? What gives with that? This paragraph is according to the iLounge.com first look article.

The photo frame feature from the lock screen is cool! Hopefully, I can specify which photos to show.

iBooks, well, it looks cool but I don't know how much I will be using it. Will I have to repurchace the O'Reilly books that I bought for the iPhone alreadly if I was the iBook version? And, I use Laridian's PocketBible as my Bible reader. At no extra cost, I was able to use the Bibles and commentaries on the iPhone that I had bought for MyBible on Palm PDA devices. Now, the iPad is going to be an awesome digital comic book reader. iVerse Media, you have two months to put something together for the iPad! If not, I will at least have the zoom feature that I've been requesting for six months.

Speaking of the accessibility zoom feature, I will enjoy the VoiceOver and the white on black features of the iPhone 3GS on the iPad. I only have an iPhone 3G.

The 1GHz processor is sweet. Can't wait to see the performance improvements of my iPhone 3G. 802.11n WiFi is definitely a must. Now is that 2.4GHz or 5.4GHz 802.11n? Doesn't say int he specs.

That pretty much covers most of it. Sorry about being so windy.

Enjoy life!

Steven

Soon to be sent from my iPad!

Well, If I was richer, probably yes. But at the moment, there's just not enough 'useful' features that would make it a worthwhile purchase for me. Don't get me wrong, I love this idea, but I need something to replace my iPod shuffle as well as my phone so the iPhone will probably be what I eventually get.

I'm hoping the photo frame feature is enough to convince my parents to buy one. I think the iPad (loathe the name, BTW) is a perfect gadget for non-tech types who don't have a laptop.

My vision for the device is to mount in on the wall in the kitchen (and be able to take it off, of course) so I can pretend I'm on the Enterprise. When my husband gets up in the morning he could come down, quickly check the road conditions, weather, calendar, etc. Yes, you can do all this with an iPhone or computer, but it would be so much more fun to be swiping on the 'wall'.

iPad = iYawn for me. No innovation whatsoever. First product from apple I'd call lazy in a long time.

I'm hoping the photo frame feature is enough to convince my parents to buy one. I think the iPad (loathe the name, BTW) is a perfect gadget for non-tech types who don't have a laptop.

My vision for the device is to mount in on the wall in the kitchen (and be able to take it off, of course) so I can pretend I'm on the Enterprise. When my husband gets up in the morning he could come down, quickly check the road conditions, weather, calendar, etc. Yes, you can do all this with an iPhone or computer, but it would be so much more fun to be swiping on the 'wall'.

Yeah, one of my friends was on about to me the other day how he could read and surf the net whilst in bed with an iPad mounted on the wall!

iPad = iYawn for me. No innovation whatsoever. First product from apple I'd call lazy in a long time.

I see your point Graham ... since the iPad is really nothing more than a large iPod Touch it is less innovation and more evolution, but still, I think this will be Apple's answer to the Netbook and IMHO could really adversely affect the Netbook market. Case in point, I was going to be getting my Mom a netbook shortly. She is pretty computer illiterate and wanted something small and simple to use for checking e-mail and surfing the web. Add to this the fact that the iPad will be the first Full Color e-book reader ( meaning that she will probably be able to get her favorite magazines on the iPad as well as her books ... she is a voracious reader ) and it means that for only $100 - $150 more than the cheapest Netbooks you get the equivalent of a netbook + a Kindle . As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if the release of the iPad ( and the many other brands of similar devices that are sure to crop up ) sounds the death knell for the Kindle.

I've been thinking about the name "iPad". It really does describe it well and does not give at stigma to a particular app. If it was called iBook, one would think of only reading books. If it was called iSlate, one would think of a device for book writers and bloggers. If Apple picked something more fancy like iNovaPad, one may think the device is too technical and scary for the average consumer. Apple likes simplicity. How much simpler can you get than iPad? The name is not scary and very open ended. The only thing is that someone's grandmother may put a hot casserole dish on it to keep from burning the counter top. :rolleyes:

Enjoy life!

Steven

I have to agree with you 100% Graham. With all the hype surrounding this product I was expecting so much more from Apple.

And, I totally disagree.

ALL the hype didn't come from Apple, it came from everybody else projecting their desires on Apple.

It's 1st Gen so will just get better over time.

I see it as a device the masses can actually just use to do what so many have a computer to do - email and surfing. I was talking to a 59-yr-old friend at my local yesterday about his XP laptop (I'm the geek everybody talks to with any kind of machine problem there). He was having problems so called Dell and spent 2 hrs getting things back to normal so he could get his email. He said he wants a computer that he can just fire up and do that and surf some, book hotels, buy tickets, etc.

I showed him my iPhone and he was amazed at how easy and intuitive it does those two things (email and surfing). I told him about the iPad and he'll probably buy one. He's a total non-techie. Loves what machines can do but has no desire to know ANYTHING about how they work.

It may not be incredibly innovative yet, but it builds on the innovation of the iPhone and will just get better. It brings that interface which just works for real people to an even bigger audience.

I am now just listening to a few podcasts about the iPad and have just a couple of thoughts........ I have a MacBook Pro, love it. I don't have an iPhone or an iPod Touch. Have been using Macs for years, love them! I don't see (yet) where this would fit into my life. Maybe in some future evolutions, maybe, but not now. That's thought #1. Thought #2-regarding the name........don't really like it-I like the name MacPad. That's it. mrstucci

And, I totally disagree.

ALL the hype didn't come from Apple, it came from everybody else projecting their desires on Apple.

It's 1st Gen so will just get better over time.

I see it as a device the masses can actually just use to do what so many have a computer to do - email and surfing. I was talking to a 59-yr-old friend at my local yesterday about his XP laptop (I'm the geek everybody talks to with any kind of machine problem there). He was having problems so called Dell and spent 2 hrs getting things back to normal so he could get his email. He said he wants a computer that he can just fire up and do that and surf some, book hotels, buy tickets, etc.

I showed him my iPhone and he was amazed at how easy and intuitive it does those two things (email and surfing). I told him about the iPad and he'll probably buy one. He's a total non-techie. Loves what machines can do but has no desire to know ANYTHING about how they work.

It may not be incredibly innovative yet, but it builds on the innovation of the iPhone and will just get better. It brings that interface which just works for real people to an even bigger audience.

I completely agree. This is a very smart product for Apple. It leverages the already hugely successful App Store which makes thousands of Apps and Games available at launch, add the bookstore/reader and this is a great consumer product. It is still not a traditional tablet computer which is what most die hard macheads seemed to be hoping for. Not Apple's fault they promised us nothing. Hype will always let you down.

Here's the best and what I believe to be the most accurate iPad opinion I've read over the past few days:

From flyosity.com

"I'm a power user; a professional software designer and developer. I use computers (specifically, Macs running Mac OS X) to do my job and I'm guessing that most of you are in the same boat.

Most people are not power users, they mainly consume content using their computer rather than produce it. When they produce content it's more casual: posting to Twitter, updating Facebook, writing personal blog entries and notes, uploading photos.

Their personal computer usage may include the following:

Chatting with friends

Sending and receiving email

Listening to music

Watching videos

Playing games

Browsing the web

The iPad excels at almost all of those things. Some of those tasks can be done at the same time on the iPad (or using the same application) but some cannot, so building multitasking into the iPad seems like the logical way to fully duplicate how most people use their personal computers at the moment.

Most people who attended the iPad unveiling and are now writing about the iPad are misunderstanding its intended audience because they're not in it. Some smart folks — who happen to also be power users — see the iPad's potential and are trying to convince everyone else. This will certainly take some time, just like there are still iPhone doubters even after Apple sold 40 million of them.

The market for potential iPad users is tremendous, possibly larger than the iPhone's market. There are millions of PC users who are dissatisfied with their virus-ridden, clunky computers who just want it to work better for the simple things they do every day. They might want a MacBook knowing that it's easier to use, but the thousand-dollar price point scares them off. But wait! For $500 less they can own a piece of Apple technology that lets them do almost everything they currently do in a form-factor that's more convenient, mobile and beautiful. This is the iPad's intended audience. People who have a PC and use 10% of its features and software 90% of the time. People like my Mom & Dad who browse the web, read news, send email and watch videos. People like my cousin Jenny who chats with friends, uses Facebook and uploads photos. Regular folks. Consumers. People who use computers to stay informed, connected and entertained.

There are also many people not in the iPad's intended audience who want one, myself included. We'd use it as a secondary computing device; a casual, home-browsing entertainment piece. The iPad is perfect for this."

-EJ

I completely agree. This is a very smart product for Apple. It leverages the already hugely successful App Store which makes thousands of Apps and Games available at launch, add the bookstore/reader and this is a great consumer product. It is still not a traditional tablet computer which is what most die hard macheads seemed to be hoping for. Not Apple's fault they promised us nothing. Hype will always let you down.

Here's the best and what I believe to be the most accurate iPad opinion I've read over the past few days:

From flyosity.com

"I'm a power user; a professional software designer and developer. I use computers (specifically, Macs running Mac OS X) to do my job and I'm guessing that most of you are in the same boat.

Most people are not power users, they mainly consume content using their computer rather than produce it. When they produce content it's more casual: posting to Twitter, updating Facebook, writing personal blog entries and notes, uploading photos.

Their personal computer usage may include the following:

Chatting with friends

Sending and receiving email

Listening to music

Watching videos

Playing games

Browsing the web

The iPad excels at almost all of those things. Some of those tasks can be done at the same time on the iPad (or using the same application) but some cannot, so building multitasking into the iPad seems like the logical way to fully duplicate how most people use their personal computers at the moment.

Most people who attended the iPad unveiling and are now writing about the iPad are misunderstanding its intended audience because they're not in it. Some smart folks — who happen to also be power users — see the iPad's potential and are trying to convince everyone else. This will certainly take some time, just like there are still iPhone doubters even after Apple sold 40 million of them.

The market for potential iPad users is tremendous, possibly larger than the iPhone's market. There are millions of PC users who are dissatisfied with their virus-ridden, clunky computers who just want it to work better for the simple things they do every day. They might want a MacBook knowing that it's easier to use, but the thousand-dollar price point scares them off. But wait! For $500 less they can own a piece of Apple technology that lets them do almost everything they currently do in a form-factor that's more convenient, mobile and beautiful. This is the iPad's intended audience. People who have a PC and use 10% of its features and software 90% of the time. People like my Mom & Dad who browse the web, read news, send email and watch videos. People like my cousin Jenny who chats with friends, uses Facebook and uploads photos. Regular folks. Consumers. People who use computers to stay informed, connected and entertained.

There are also many people not in the iPad's intended audience who want one, myself included. We'd use it as a secondary computing device; a casual, home-browsing entertainment piece. The iPad is perfect for this."

-EJ

Great reference, Seijornec.

Thanks.

Given the hardware: the size, the amount of GBs and 1GHz speed, Apple had to choose between a very lame laptop, or a very good, much more advanced (though less portable) iPod Touch. If you think about it like that, they absolutely made the right decision.

Of course we all dreamed of a tablet with a quad-core 3GHz processor and a 2TB solid state drive. But that is not realistic just yet.

The success of the iPhone/iPod Touch lied in the Awesomeness of the SDK. This is where the "magic" of the device will come from. No other company have such a powerful yet simple base to build from.

that's all.

There's a very funny take on it here - a running gag on several subjects - so long as, that is, you're not averse to a spot of colourful language.

Saw in the specs that the iPod plays Audible.com 2, 3, and 4 formats. No mention of the 'e' enhanced 64kbps format. I hope this is simply an oversight. I did see a typo in the specs when Apple was obviously referring to a component AV cable but it read composite AV cable instead. The word "composite" was used twice.

I listen to the 'e' format audible boks on my iPhone without any issues. I would assume that the iPad would also have no issues. There was no firmware update required when Audible added the 'e' format. I just changed the setting in my audible preference to download the new format and it just worked.

Well I know some are saying its an oversized ipod touch, some are saying its a whole lot more. My biggest disappointment is no camera to use it like a skype or ichat device for video over wifi. But I know why apple did not include it in all honesty cause they dont offer it on the ipod touch yet. What Apple is good at doing is leaving that off the iPad and then they will introduce a camera first on the touch, get more sales off that, then a future generation of an iPad will have the camera. The camera is coming, but they have other existing lower end products that need to get it first to milk sales. Thats my opinion, so I probably wont get it. Ill put the money towards a MacBook Pro for the next revision of those.

Ron

Most discussions of the iPad have been void of what I consider the most important feature of the yet-to-be-released device: CONTENT.

In my view the partnerships Apple establishes and extends will be what makes the iPad a success. Thus far they've inked deals with some of the world's largest publishers and some hefty newspapers as well. Then there are the movie studios and the television networks (speaking of the US, of course).

Those who point out that the iPad doesn't offer much to those of us with laptops have, to some extent, a good point. But how will Apple leverage these provider relationships and content on the device and through the iTunes Store? That's where the debate should take place.

If we look back to 2001 and the introduction of the iPod many would and did ask, 'what's so great about another (expensive) MP3 player?' Fast forward to today and that question seems remarkably naive. I think the iPad could prove to be a similar advance -- take something that no company does really well and take it to a new level -- that's Apple, and Steve Jobs', core strength.

I look forward to buying an iPad mostly because I believe it could open a new world for content and could possibly save the publishing industry, or at least play a part. As someone who works in advertising the possibilities are quite exciting.

Finally, since I've opened the content worm can, I must agree with the reported comment by Steve Jobs (paraphrased) that Flash is a broken technology. I'm happy to see him thumb his nose at Adobe but, in the end, believe Apple will cave and allow Flash on the iPad. I do, however, wish something would replace Flash.

Just my 2¢.

Finally, since I've opened the content worm can, I must agree with the reported comment by Steve Jobs (paraphrased) that Flash is a broken technology. I'm happy to see him thumb his nose at Adobe but, in the end, believe Apple will cave and allow Flash on the iPad. I do, however, wish something would replace Flash.

I think Steve Jobs is right in not submitting to old Adobe Flash domination and pushing forward to HTML5. That's the way Apple/Steve Jobs does things. He moves us to new technology or forces old technology to improve itself.

I'm gonna get one...I'm waiting for the 64GB 3G version though. Not because I'll be carting it around with me wherever I go, but I want the option just in case. It will not replace my laptop and it will not replace my iPhone. I work on a computer all day (at the office we're not permitted to use the net) so when I get home my computer usage is basically just web-browsing and email, which I hate doing hunched over a laptop. I like to lounge on the couch and browse the web with my iPhone now but once I get the iPad I'll be using that. Another thing I'll use it for is sharing pictures. Most of my family (especially the older folks) can barely use a computer if they have one at all. To be able to sit on a sofa with them and look through tons of digital photos will be so much better than lugging the laptop out and all of us huddling around it. Add in the videos, music, ebooks and apps and I think you have a winner.

I'm gonna get one...I'm waiting for the 64GB 3G version though. Not because I'll be carting it around with me wherever I go, but I want the option just in case. It will not replace my laptop and it will not replace my iPhone. I work on a computer all day (at the office we're not permitted to use the net) so when I get home my computer usage is basically just web-browsing and email, which I hate doing hunched over a laptop. I like to lounge on the couch and browse the web with my iPhone now but once I get the iPad I'll be using that. Another thing I'll use it for is sharing pictures. Most of my family (especially the older folks) can barely use a computer if they have one at all. To be able to sit on a sofa with them and look through tons of digital photos will be so much better than lugging the laptop out and all of us huddling around it. Add in the videos, music, ebooks and apps and I think you have a winner.

The iPad was made for people like you. You'll love it.

I hate to revive an old thread, but I really need to eat some humble pie. We got an iPad at work yesterday and I'm in love. I'm now in the process of selling my Dell to finance one (£320 for a blue mini 10v with 2gb ram, 64gb ssd and 10.6.3 if anyone's interested!)

I hate to revive an old thread, but I really need to eat some humble pie. We got an iPad at work yesterday and I'm in love. I'm now in the process of selling my Dell to finance one (£320 for a blue mini 10v with 2gb ram, 64gb ssd and 10.6.3 if anyone's interested!)

I was wondering if you'd caved!smile.gif

Yeh, I wasn't sure I could totally replace my Hackintosh either but we went to a graduation party a few hundred miles away last week and I only took the iPad. It did absolutely everything I needed from it. I didn't even miss Flash because the only things I needed to do with Flash, I used LogMeIn to connect to my Mac at home.

I have it with me almost everywhere and almost everybody who seems it has questions and now wants one.

I now believe that for many regular people it CAN be their only computer (if they aren't huge music consumers). It just takes having the initial setup done at purchase point. (Not saying this would be ideal, I just think it would work).