Vince77

On the verge of switching...

Hi everyone. I am a life long Windows user (currently Windows 7) and recently I have been thinking of switching to Mac. However, a friend of mine was telling me that Apple stops supporting their OS's after about two years and so do most software vendors. He cites a G4 Mac he picked up at a thrift store and claims that he couldn't get the latest version of iTunes or FireFox. I was thinking maybe this had something to do with the newer Macs being on Intel chips. I'm just worried that if I go and spend 2 grand on a new Any insight you all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Don't know that it's any different in the Windows world as I couldn't use the newest version of Office on a Windows 95 machine. Had Vista not been such a disaster, MS wouldn't probably be supporting XP this long. But, that's really not here or there.

I am running the latest version of iTunes, Safari and Firefox on all my machines except a G3 iMac running OS 9 and a G3 iBook running Panther (note that both those machines are over 10 years old). Though, I am not running the latest OS on the majority of my machines and they all work well. I'm still running Tiger on a Core 2 Duo and 3 G4 iMacs. I could upgrade the Intel machine and one of the G4s to Leopard but have seen no real need.

One can't put the newest OS (Snow Leopard) on all of these, but I could (and probably will one of these days) put it on my newest, which is already 4 yrs old.

So, your buddy is mistaken about some software for his G4 which is at least 7 yrs old, not 2, but not the OS. And, there, your speculation is correct in that the G4 is a PowerPC chip not an Intel.

I love it it's almost along the lines of "Lies, damned lies and statistics". :-)

OK I found it difficult to justify switching and buying a Mac until I switched, now I find it hard not to justify buying a Mac.

The reason I switched, was because an old Mac that I had dipped into the Apple environment with, COULD run the latest and greatest Apple OS.

I know this is slightly backward to the question your asking, but I got fed up of having to buy new add-on's to my PC so I could run the latest Windows OS. Plus all the administration I was constantly doing so my family could use the PC machine safely and with some speed.

I recently bought a 2005 PowerPC iMac for my outlaws (inlaws lolz) and it's running Leopard, I know it won't run Snow Leopard but hell Leopard is a Brill OS.

I first bought Leopard in Oct 2007 so this coming year that will be 2 years, and at this point there is no sign of Apple stopping support for leopard just yet. I'll put a bet that you'll hear from people who are running quite happily older Apple OS's.

I'm from the UK but that Thrift store sounds like a pound shop (cheap), my meaning is HOW OLD was the machine he bought, or more to the point how old was the OS that had been installed, I'm pretty sure that G4 iMac would run Leopard, see my point above, if your going to buy a new machine, YOU WILL HAVE MANY YEARS of enjoying the mac with the current OS "Snowy" as some of the fan boys call it :-) And hey I put a bet when any new OS comes out your 'new' Mac will be able to run it, and you'll be surprised how cheap the upgrade is ;-)

Hope this helps, from a total stranger to Apple and the Mac just over 3 years ago, but has now found the real enjoyment of using a computer that he never experienced on a Windows PC. I'm not knocking M$ and windows, I'm just stating what I found, all from a totally personal view.

Gazmaz.......

Edited by Gazmaz

Just to echo what Gazmaz and Husker said Vince, your friend is quite mistaken. FYI the "current" Mac OS is 10.6 or Snow Leopard, but I put it in quotes because it is really a "concurrent" OS. What I mean is that Apple is currently supporting two versions as "current" ( 10.5 or Leopard for PowerPC Macs & Intel Macs and 10.6 or Snow Leopard for Intel Macs only). Apple also currently still supports 10.4 ( Tiger ) for both Intel and PowerPC. Now, for the record, Snow Leopard ( 10.6 ... the latest release ) does require an Intel processor. However, the first iMac with an Intel processor was released in Jan of 2006. This means that the latest and greatest version of OS X will run very well on machines that are up to 4 yrs old.

The fact that your friend picked up a G4 at a thrift store is very telling. Probably the limitation of his G4 is the OS installed on the system, not the hardware itself ... as Husker pointed out 10.4 ( Tiger ) will indeed run on a G4 and G4's were produced between 2002 an 2004 so at best that is a 6 year old machine. Your friend just doesn't want to bother to upgrade the OS to Tiger. Granted, a PC manufactured in 2002 would have come with XP but that was 2 PC OS's ago and I see that you currently use Win 7 ... so obviously you are not in the habit of using an OS that was released almost 8 yrs ago anyway.

As far as software developers go, I am running Snow Leopard right now and I still have many apps that were designed for Panther and run quite well.

Any G4 running at least an 877mhz processor can run Leopard. That's pretty much all of the ones that are still running!

I have a Quick Silver 933 Power Mac from 2002 and it runs Leopard fine. That is an 8 year old Computer. The only issue I have is Flash video or Streaming is almost none playable. However, any h.264 videos that are downloaded run fine.

This was our first Mac I bought used to see if Switching made sense for us. I had the Mac for a few hours and decided never to go back to Windows or even Linux. We have since purchased 2 Intel based Macs and the Power Mac is now our kids computer.