Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Barker

iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation not showing in iTunes.

Well. I bought by mum an ipod shuffle second generation. We synced some music onto it and it was fine. Though for her birthday she received an itunes gift card so she made a list of items she wanted to buy. However after not syncing it with itunes in some time iTunes is no longer recognizing the shuffle. In system profiler it recognizes the ipod, all the information about it yet still a mystery. I've been looking around for ages looking for a fix but nobody seems to have any idea what to do! I tried installing itunes 7 but still nothing. No different on 10.6.2 or 10.5.7. This is really fustrating, any help? I'm really against having to buy a new shuffle because of this.

Any help appreciated,

Ollie.

How old is the shuffle? You say it's 2nd generation ... I take it you mean the ones with the clip and the white control ring. Reason I bring it up is that it sounds like there might be an issue with the flash memory ( I think that would cause it to show up in System Profiler but not in iTunes ). Apple no longer sells those models so if you bought it recently it could have been used or just lying and flash memory can go bad after awhile. Have you looked in Disk Utility? I'm not sure if that gen shuffle would show up there or not, but if it did you could try to re-format it and that might get it back to a point where it shows up in iTunes. Also, you mentioned iTunes 7 ... the current version is 9. Don't know for sure, just grasping at straws here. Course the best bet would be to take it to an Apple store and see if they can reset it there ... I've known of several iPods that didn't respond well on local computers but the Apple Store were able to fix.

How old is the shuffle? You say it's 2nd generation ... I take it you mean the ones with the clip and the white control ring. Reason I bring it up is that it sounds like there might be an issue with the flash memory ( I think that would cause it to show up in System Profiler but not in iTunes ). Apple no longer sells those models so if you bought it recently it could have been used or just lying and flash memory can go bad after awhile. Have you looked in Disk Utility? I'm not sure if that gen shuffle would show up there or not, but if it did you could try to re-format it and that might get it back to a point where it shows up in iTunes. Also, you mentioned iTunes 7 ... the current version is 9. Don't know for sure, just grasping at straws here. Course the best bet would be to take it to an Apple store and see if they can reset it there ... I've known of several iPods that didn't respond well on local computers but the Apple Store were able to fix.

Maybe I should have added more to my original post. Its nothing to do with the iPod itself. it is working absolutely fine. It simply is not recognised by iTunes. It is indeed the 2nd gen, with the clip. And I reverted back to iTunes 7 to see if the problem was with iTunes itself though it made no difference. I still use iTunes 9.0.3 (the latest) :) Aparantly this is a wide spread problem which is why i posted here just in case somebody has a solution. If it comes to it I shall take it back even though it wasn't from an apple store. It was from curry's digital. Hopefully they'll replace it!

The obvious thing to try is this and if that doesn't work follow the link on there to general troubleshooting steps.

Failing this - and if you've had it less than a year and have proof of purchase - then read this and take a print of it to show the dim-witted robots who work at Currys Digital in case they try it on.

P.S. My fiancee's iPod Touch wasn't recognised by iTunes after her Mac was upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5 - the solution here not being appropriate to your issue - but I thought it worth mentioning.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard