Brian

Thoughts from the community

Hi All,

I am just about to receive my new iMac any day now, having been a long time user of Windows, I am interested what benefits others feel the Mac has over Windows. Some of my colleagues at work are disappointed in that I have gone to the other side! For me it is not about price, or this can do that better than this. I know this will sound corny but it is about the journey of discovery and learning. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Edited by Brian

Being a Switcher, you'll probably want a different mouse with real buttons but other than that I think most of the differences are superficial and personal (other than an actual lack of real, in the wild, security problems).

Welcome to a somewhat different world.

I think it's all a matter of "mind set". I have found that to some people ( like myself and I would assume the majority on these boards ) OS X just seems to "make more sense" ... in other words the OS just seems to behave like I think an OS should, making computing more intuitive for me on a Mac.

I've just had to use a Windows XP box for the first time in ages and whilst it was easy to switch back I was glad it was only temporary as the system notifications - something OS X rarely pops up with - drove me bananas. (The notification service Growl is worth having if you like to know what's going on and have control over application notifications - available in Windows too I see - though that and the system ones on such would be too much for me.) Far worse was trying to get a SCSI-driven dedicated film scanner working with it - a nightmare I won't bore you with except to say it took hours of geek forum searches to resolve it. Apple promotes its systems as "just working" (I'm paraphrasing) with its simplicity being the feature most users find best.

I think it says it all when we have two IT staff to support about 130 mac users and 7 mac servers and then another guy who's pretty much dedicated to looking after one windows server and 7 windows users (although he does the mac users as well, I'm just generalising the job breakdowns).

It just works, rarely breaks, and when it does there's usually a simple fix.

One of the biggest things is the software. Every Mac come with iLife which is unlike anything you can find for Windows at any price. Add in iWork for $79US, and you've got a very complete range of software on your computer. Should you be missing something, there's probably an app out there for free, or under $20.

That's just so different from how things work on a PC.