GlenInTuckerGA

Network settings for Airport connection

I have my iMac connected via ethernet for cable modem. AirPort is downstairs with my PC connected. I was able to connect ti internet through the AirPort on my PC with my old mac. I just bought a new iMac this past weekend and can't get the connection established. Here's the message in my Network settings on the mac, for the AirPort:

AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.249.123 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

The AirPort is on.

I can't get the PC to connect though. The light on the AirPort itself just blinks.

What am I overlooking or not doing right??

How is the Airport connected to the internet?

That self-assigned IP means it's not connected to a router or other device which is connected to the internet.

Are you trying to share your iMac connection with the Airport?

Which model iMac and Airport are you using?

How is the Airport connected to the internet?

That self-assigned IP means it's not connected to a router or other device which is connected to the internet.

Are you trying to share your iMac connection with the Airport?

Which model iMac and Airport are you using?

Yes, trying to share the iMac connection.

Here's the info on the Mac:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

AirPort Express is what I'm trying to use downstairs.

That would mean that you don't have anything assigning IP addresses via DHCP. The easiest thing to do would be to move the express up to where your cable modem is, enable dhcp on the express and then share out the internet wirelessly.

OK, basics for dummies, probably, but how do I do that? My PC doesn't have wireless capability which is why I'm using the AirPort on that machine. On my other iMac G5, I had the network working fine. Now that I have this new mac, I can't get it to work. I was thinking that I had some of the settings incorrect on the mac which was why the AirPort wasn't accessible.

Well in that case, it sounds like you had some static IP settings. You'll need to get in touch with your ISP to get them - although I'd seriously recommend against having your computer directly on the internet without some sort of hardware firewall (such as those provided by pretty much every router) between your mac and the outside world from a security standpoint. Pick up a cheap as chips router and your problems will most likely disappear.

It would be a lot cheaper to use your Airport Express as the router as suggested earlier and get a USB WiFi adapter for your PC (Example). They're a lot cheaper than a router.

I'm still really puzzled as to how this AirPort worked all by itself with this same PC and my old iMac G5, and now, with the new mac, it doesn't work anymore.

Like I said, you had some manual settings specific to your ISP on your G5 which you didn't copy over.