sleepingmac

usb wifi (mac compatable)

Not totally sure about the question.

Do you mean a dongle that will make a non-Airport enabled device wifi-compatible?

If so, I haven't seen any (doesn't mean they don't exist), and I would recommend just getting an Airport card for the device. Not cheap, but will just work.

Bashing "usb wifi mac" into google brought up this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-11Mbps-USB-adapter-PCs/dp/B0000E5SF4

I'm sure there are others knocking around.

If you have an ethernet port, you can always look at a wireless bridge, as these are platform independent (they just appear as an ethernet connection to the mac).

@sleepingmac,

post a few more details about what you are trying to accomplish, and we should be able to give you some cool solutions. Of course, as Graham pointed out, so can a search engine :)

thanks guys i ended up buying a refurbished D-link wireless G USB 2.0 adapter 802.11g on amazon for about $15. supposedly, mac drivers are available for it.

41Szf1wehHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

GREAT! Really hope the Mac drivers work.

It's been awhile since I tried that but I had no luck finding a working solution for Macs.

For future reference, Hawking has a nice option that allows an external antenna to be added. It also allows for active AND passive scanning -- a nice option for troubleshooting.

I did a review of the NewerTech USB Drive Adapter in this episode of the Maccast. until recently I had been using it in my older Mac Mini which didn't have 802.11n. I have been happy with it for the most part, but the driver software isn't ideal. It also is a little slow to reconnect when waking from deep sleep. I just was sent the BearExtender n3 which I have now connected to the Mini and will be reviewing on the show soon. This is not a "stick" but has incredible range. It boosted the signal to my Mac Mini from about 37% to 95%. The mini sits at the complete opposite corner of my hose from my Airport Extreme base station. It uses the same RALink driver software, but seems to stay connected better and doesn't have the slow reconnect when waking from sleep (so far).