Sign in to follow this  
rmsmits

Networking Tiger and SL

I just moved and transfered my ISP from the evil Time Warner Cable to Clear WIMAX. My computers networked with each other before the move, but now don't see each other at all. I always had some weird issues mounting my computers over the local network in order to copy files, but at least I could share itunes and printers without any problems. Now I can't do anything. My mini is running 10.4.11 and my imac is running latest version of SL. The mini is connected to the router and the imac connects wirelessly to the router. Both computers can access the internet just fine, but will not connect to each other. Vonage also works fine through the router. When itunes home sharing is initially turned on, they will see each other, but then immediately disappear once pressing the "done" button. I tried pinging the imac from my mini and the message I got was, "10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss" don't know exactly what this means, but obviously they aren't talking to each other. Any suggestions?

Thanks

First thing to check is that each mac has a valid IP address. Check system prefs -> networking and for the appropriate adapter make sure it's not anything other than connected. I'd imagine you don't have anything running DHCP on your network (usually your router).

I'm not currently at home to look at the computer settings, but the IP addresses did appear to be valid. One was 192.168.0.102 and the other was 192.168.1.134.

Not sure if this has any bearing, but I have never been able to log into my router to adjust settings. I'm pursuing this with D-link now.

Looks like maybe theyre connecting to different networks (maybe the device from the new ISP also has a wireless router built-in and you're connecting to that?) the IPs should be the same except for the last part of the IP address (ie, either both 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x). (assuming its 255.255.255.0 as the subnet anyway, which is generally default)

Usually 192.168.0.x is the range that a broadband modem will generally assign IP's (not always true, but in general its my experience.)

Looks like maybe theyre connecting to different networks (maybe the device from the new ISP also has a wireless router built-in and you're connecting to that?) the IPs should be the same except for the last part of the IP address (ie, either both 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x). (assuming its 255.255.255.0 as the subnet anyway, which is generally default)

Usually 192.168.0.x is the range that a broadband modem will generally assign IP's (not always true, but in general its my experience.)

I thought that the numbers should be just one number off from each other (that's what they used to be). When I ordered the new modem I asked if it had a router, or if it broadcasted the signal like a router and they said no. It looks like all it does is pull the Wimax signal down. I suspect the D-link router I have may have some settings set specifically for Time Warner (bought it from them when I ordered service). My next step is to run the modem directly to one of the computers and try sharing the connection via airport to isolate the router as possible cause.

That's a bit like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut...

What subnet mask are you being assigned?

Are you sure that none of your macs have manual IP settings?

Well I completely reset my router and re-setup the network configurations which seems to be working – sort of. I can connect the mini (tiger) to the imac (SL) and it seems to be working. When I try to connect the imac to the mini, it sees the mini, connects and mounts to desktop, but then immediately disconnected when I tried to open it up. I've run into this before, but haven't been able to figure out the problem. I have appletalk active, could that be doing it?