Terry Vogelaar

Syncing headaches

I bought an iPod Touch last week, but I am unable to sync calendar, mail and contact data with it. It first asks me if I want to enable syncing:

Screen01.png

And when I click "Yes", it tells me that syncing cannot be enabled.

Screen02.png

I did some googling on this problem and found a site that advised me to trow away the contents of the folder <home>/Library/Application Services/SyncServices, so it has to be rebuilt. I tried, but it didn't work.

Then I found a page on Apples website that told me I should never touch or delete the SyncServices folder; it has to be avoided like a beehive. :-/ It gave me a solution for rebuilding it. But that also didn't work.

I figured I might need a MobileMe (trial) account. I was pretty convinced I only need that for wireless syncing; not for wired. But I was unable to sync my data with MobileMe. Also iSync doesn't work.

So I don't have a clue how to deal with this now. Any suggestions?

BTW, syncing music and apps kinda works. The iPod loses contact with the Mac from time to time, but it does what it has to do.

Computer and OS info would be helpful.

OK try this. Go into Applications and look for an app called iSync. Open this app and go into preferences from the menu bar. Make sure the "enable syncing on this computer" box is checked. Now, restart the computer. BTW, I found this solution by searching the Apple forums.

Computer and OS info would be helpful.

Sorry... Added that...

OK try this. Go into Applications and look for an app called iSync. Open this app and go into preferences from the menu bar. Make sure the "enable syncing on this computer" box is checked. Now, restart the computer.

Actually I'm not able to go to the preferences of iSync... It can't be launched.

Screen03.png

Edited by Terry Vogelaar

Was 10.6 the installed system or is this an upgrade?

Have you tried using a different account on the computer to see if it's related to your user profile?

Try re-installing the 10.6.2 combo update.

I had the same thought Husker ... sounded like a setting in that user acct. I think Graham may be on the right track though ... is there a system file/app called "Sync Manager" that iSync calls ? Sounds like there may be a corrupted or missing file in the OS X install. One other observation .... why/how is there a vertical "cursor line" in the dialog box shown in the last screen capture right after "The Sync Manager is not available" ? Never seen that before.

Try re-installing the 10.6.2 combo update.

I did that recently. Didn't help.

Was 10.6 the installed system or is this an upgrade?

Have you tried using a different account on the computer to see if it's related to your user profile?

It is an upgrade and the problem is related to my user profile. I made a new user and successfully started iSync there.

I had the same thought Husker ... sounded like a setting in that user acct. I think Graham may be on the right track though ... is there a system file/app called "Sync Manager" that iSync calls ? Sounds like there may be a corrupted or missing file in the OS X install. One other observation .... why/how is there a vertical "cursor line" in the dialog box shown in the last screen capture right after "The Sync Manager is not available" ? Never seen that before.

Ah, that cursor line! Sharp observation, Dolphbucs! Before I made the screen shot, I copied the text of the dialog in order to google for a solution. To deselect the text, I clicked in the grey after it and thus I had a cursor line in the dialog...

So now we know it is user profile related. That was already a great help from you guys. Thanks. But how do we go from the diagnosis to the cure? What is my next step? Should I bring all my files over to the new profile? Or can I just copy some files relevant to syncing over from the new to the old user account? How can I work around permission issues?

In my experience the best solution when there is a problem with user acct corruption is to simply create a new acct and then just migrate things over to the new acct .... it's close to impossible to figure out exactly what is wrong in the old acct and you'll never know what other "hidden" issues might still be there. The first thing I would do, though, is copy your iTunes folder over to the Shared user acct. Next, open iTunes in your new user acct while holding down the option key. You will be prompted to select your itunes library and then navigate to your old library file which is now in the shared user acct. Then try to sync your iPod Touch. If it syncs OK then there was some system setting in the old user acct and you can proceed to migrate the rest of your stuff over to the new acct ( keep in mind that if you wish you could just leave your iTunes folder in the Shared acct and that way any user can access that iTunes Library ). If, however, iPod will still not sync, then you have determined that the problem is either the iPod itself ( it needs to be reset to original through iTunes ) or something is corrupted in one of the iTunes data files. In that case, try resetting the iPod first ... if that doesn't work, then chances are the old user acct is fine and the issue was really the iTunes data files ( in that case stay with the old user acct and rebuild your iTunes library ... if you need to do that, let me know when you get there and I'll give you a step by step )

If it turns out that you do need to migrate to the new user acct, I would take your time .... move things over one at a time checking things out as you go along. Start with your bookmarks, then e-mail, etc. The easiest way to get the files over to the new acct is to use the Shared user like I described above. When it comes to settings, I would NOT move over plist files or anything .... it could be that those old settings files might have issues. Simply examine the way you have settings in the old acct ( again one at a time ) and set up Safari, mail etc as needed as you go along. If you have enough HD space, leave the old acct ( don't delete it ). That way, as time goes on you can just move stuff over when necessary and you'll always have a good reference point for the way things were.

Edited by Dolphbucs