jkolnick

Netgear Router

Hi;

I just purchased a used Netgear wpn824 V2 router and would like to set it up for both my iMac and PC? Any suggestions. Configurations, where to get software?

Thanks

I use a Netgear router myself ( albeit a much newer one ... mine is a 2008 model compared to yours which seems to be circa 2005 ) used to network my MBP, 24" iMac and my Dad's PC. The easiest way to do this, because Macs tend to play better with PC configured networks than the other way around, is to setup the network from the PC. This will require the PC CD that came with the router ( if you didn't get a disk with the router you should be able to get the software from the Netgear website ). Once the network is configured, you will simply run a cat5 (ethernet) cable from the router to your iMac or ( if you set up a wi-fi hotspot) just turn on the Airport card in your iMac and sign into the wi-fi access point you set up. No software required for the iMac it's all built in. Below is a link to the Manual for your router if you don't have it already.

Netgear Router Manual PDF

Thanks for the reply. I have poked around their website and have downloaded they manual. I just cannot find the software. Is there one for the Mac or do I have to use Windows XP?

There shouldn't be any software required to configure the network on the Mac .... you would just go to the website described in the advanced users section of the setup guide and manually configure the router there. But like I said before, when mixing Macs and PC's on a router it's always best to configure it on the PC and just let the Mac connect to it. I checked the Netgear website and they appear to no longer offer support for replacing the Software CD that came with the Router originally. So, unless you can track down whoever you bought the router from and get the CD, looks like you are stuck trying to configure it on the Mac. OR ..... you know, you can get a new wireless G router ( what that one is ) for $25 - $40 at Amazon or at Staples or BestBuy. That way you will have all the software and it will be covered under warranty ( let's face it, you really don't know how well that router works ... does it have any bad jacks, etc. )

There is one other option, though. You could just try this. Hook up your iMac directly to the internet and then use the Airport card in the iMac to create what is referred to as an Ad-Hoc network. Just type Ad-Hoc into your help menu on the iMac and it will give instructions how to set that up. It's still a crap shoot as to whether the PC will be able to connect ( it depends on the PC wireless card ) but it's worth a shot if you are on a tight budget. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Surely you just connect to the "NETGEAR" wireless network and type in your router's IP address in your web browser (usually 192.168.0.1 on netgears)? Or if there's no wireless, just hook up a network cable between your mac and the router.

Make sure you turn on WPA2 encryption and change the default admin password. You may also consider turning off the SSID to make it harder for the average joe to see your network.

Yeah, Graham and Adam, that will get them up and running on the Mac ( the Netgear manual doesn't mention how to connect to a Mac and gives a website to connect manually to a PC and I didn't want to overly confuse the OP ... I figured the website would direct him to enter the router IP ) ... the issue is to get the PC on the network later. In my situation, my Dad's PC running XP would not recognize the router after I had set it up using my iMac ... I had to use the disk to install on the PC to get it working and then, of course, my iMac was just plugnplay from there. There may be issues with the way these older Netgear routers handle PC's ( I don't know for sure ) but I do know how I got it to work for me.

I've never seen any of the netgear routers I've set up have any issues with PCs. The web interface is platform agnostic, so it wouldn't make any difference wether it's set up on a mac or a pc.

Might have something to do with the way certain brand PC's are configured. I don't know, but the ones I've set up have all had issues with the PC not being able to connect. Maybe something I'm doing wrong. Maybe some setting on the PC that needs to be set for it to work properly. What I do know for sure is that with my Dad's HP (desktop), and at my sister's house, configuring her iMac with Dell laptop, when I configured the router from the Mac, mac ran great, but PC couldn't connect ... yet when I put in the Netgear cd into the PC, configured the network from the PC and then tried the Mac, in each case everything ran fine for both systems. I figured since I'm a fairly advanced user, and it gave me issues, it might do the same for the OP. Keep in mind that in both the OP and my case we were using fairly old "G" routers. Maybe that has something to do with it ? Again don't know for sure, just going by my past experience.