Sign in to follow this  
NY152

Apple introduces new iPod nano

iPod nano

After summarizing the existing iPod product line, Jobs explained that the iPod mini is what all of Apple's competitors are aiming for. Apple is "going to do something pretty bold," he said. Apple is "replacing it with something new."

Jobs calls the iPod nano "an entirely new ground-up design, that also has 1000 songs in your pocket." The white device features a color display and can support photos, uses a grey click wheel to navigate, and is 80 percent smaller in volume than the original iPod -- thinner than a number two pencil, said Jobs. The iPod nano weighs 1.5 ounces or 42 grams

Compared to the iPod mini, the iPod nano is half the thickness and 62 percent smaller by volume. It uses a 30-pin dock connector, so the iPod nano plugs in to existing iPod accessories, and can also connect using USB 2.0. It features a 14-hour rechargeable abattery.

The iPod nano also features a new graphical clock, games, stopwatch and lap timer, and a screen lock that uses the click wheel like a combination lock.

"White is our signature color for the iPod ... but we decided to so a second color, and we tried it because it looked so cool," said Jobs, "so we're doing a black model as well."

The iPod nano ships today in 2GB and 4GB confiugurations for US$199 and $249 respectively. Apple is also offering customized iPod nano accessories including a $29 dock, $39 lanyard with built-in headphones, color-coordinated armbands for $29 each, and "nanotubes" -- green, purple, blue and pink slipcases, sold in boxes of five, for $29 each.

From MacWorld's live coverage

it looks cool but i think it was a really bad idea to replace the mini with something with less storage for the same price.

im also really dissapointed because i though they'd update the shuffle line in size.

itunes 5 looks ok - not to much change other than the look though

whatever

Ok...wtf???

Let me get this straight...they got rid of the most popular digital music player among (at least mine) High School to release a 2 color pencil thin iPod Nano with 4 hours less battery life, 2GB less space, for $199 OH but wait...you get a color screen that displays album art that you'll never look at because it'll be in your pocket 99% of the time...I still support Apple and all of their stuff, but i dont really know if this was the best move they could have made.

And Apple has new headphones that go around your neck? I dont know if that's going to be comfortable.

it looks cool but i think it was a really bad idea to replace the mini with something with less storage for the same price.  

im also really dissapointed because i though they'd update the shuffle line in size.

itunes 5 looks ok - not to much change other than the look though

whatever

Apple will lose a ton of money buy ending the multicolored mini. IT WAS better selling than any other ipod!!!!! Personally, the ipod shuffle was differently the better choice to replace, if apple really had to get ride of one model.

I fear this will be the end of the ipod monopoly.

100% agree :D

exept I dont know about the end of the monopoly...it's still a pretty awesome player. even the Nano.

The iPod mini tapped into the "cute" factor among lots of girls and moms and such. I always see girls running around with either a pink or green iPod mini.