Terry Vogelaar

Disable stacks?

Is there a way to disable stacks, so that when I click a folder in the Dock, it just opens in Finder? I can't get used to it fanning open and I find myself going straight to the top where it says 'Open in Finder'. The grid and list view are even more annoying, because I have to scroll down before I can click 'Open in Finder'...

If there is a different solution for Leopard and Snow Leopard, I want to know them both, because I use the former at work and the latter at home.

Hold down the command key when you click on the stack.

Or alternatively, right click the stack and click the open command ... one more click, but done with only the mouse.

I don't want to get your hopes up, so let me say this ultimately fails: the Dock can do exactly what you want, but you can't make it stick. If you look inside your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist file (If you have installed the developer tools option, double-clicking that file will open it in the Property List Editor to let you browse that plist.) Under Root you find a "persistent-others" property, which in turn contains an entry for each of your stacks. You can modify the "tile-type" property of any of those, changing it from "directory-tile" to just "directory", save the plist file, then do a "killall Dock" from Terminal to restart the Dock, and you'll now find that when you click on one of the modified stacks, it will now just open the folder in a new Finder window without acting like a stack. You'd probably find that perfect, except as soon as Finder restarts (next time you log on) the property will revert back to the way it was. Sooo disappointing.

If stack operation really bugs you, you could write a one-line Applescript, such as:

tell application "Finder" to open folder "Topo Maps" of folder "Documents" of folder (get path to home folder)

and save that script as an application to a file. Put that script app in the dock instead of the folder. (Give it an icon if you like with Finder's Get Info.) Then clicking that app icon in the dock will just open the folder in Finder.

Thanks for the tip, car1son!

Your Plist modification made me curious if there really isn't a permanent solution. Googling on directory-tile and Dock gave me this page:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071111202112177

I think I'll give it a try. If that doesn't work, I'll go with the AppleScript solution.

Thanks, also to Dolphbucs and Graham!

Edited by Terry Vogelaar