Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Barker

Safari download then slow, then stop.

Well for some remarkable reason that I can't figure out. I can be happily downloading a file through safari or any other browser, it'll work for a short amount of time. Then the speed will slow down. It is still downloading. But the speed slows. Finally it gets to 0 and the file stops. Any ideas why? This is a bitch when I'm trying to download files more than 10Mb. And at the moment its stopping me from completing work. If I play an online game like Modern Warfare it works absolutely fine. No lag of any sort.

Any help??

Ollie.

If it is happening with every browser it could be an issue with your modem or the ISP you use might be throttling you.

That doesn't make any difference. ISP's are famous for throttling and downright blocking traffic from certain sites or certain types of files. For example, some have been known to cut the bandwidth specifically on bit torrents. The fact that it is fine on Games and you have issues with all browsers would seem to indicate that it is not the modem or your computer. If you are using Wi-Fi, then hard wire the computer into the router to make sure it is not the Airport card. The next step, would be to hook your computer directly into the modem ( if you use a router ). If you have the same issues while bypassing the router, then we then know it is either your computer OR the ISP. Then, try a friends laptop plugged directly into your modem. If that computer has the same issues then we know it most probably is the ISP ( it could still be a modem issue really, but either way, you need the ISP's help to solve the issue ... assuming your ISP is providing you with the modem ). If the other computer runs fine, then perhaps it is an issue with your computer after all. Attempt to connect your computer to another network. If it runs fine on another network, then indeed it is your ISP ( or modem ). If it has issues on another network, it could be your firewall settings or it could be something with your ethernet card.

Remember the first law of computer troubleshooting ( also used by Sherlock Holmes ) : "After eliminating the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be truth"

Edited by Dolphbucs