Starstreamer

Snow Leopard App hang - Solved apparently

This one is driving me crazy. I have 3 Mac Minis all running Snow Leopard but the newest one, which has Final Cut, Eye TV and Nicecast as it's main apps, will start hanging when trying to open apps after being booted for about 6 hours. I have done all the things I can think of. Reformatted the boot drive zeroing out data to remove any bad blocks, started from scratch reloading apps, repair permissions, Disc Warrior analysis, nothing seems to stop this. I thought I had removed the problem by uninstalling Snapzpro. The problem went away, but when doing the most recent Snow Leopard update, the problem has resurfaced. When I try to load any OSX app, DVD player, Quicktime, Disc Utility, they all hang, that is bounce in the dock but never load. The apps here are exactly what I had on my old G5 Dual 2.0 that I recently retired and replaced with this Mac Mini (2.53Ghz with 4 gig Ram) and that worked very well for 6 years. I could restore from my pre-update backup drive, but it won't prevent the problem from coming back on later updates, so I'd like to figure this one out.

Have you tried running things from a different user account?

Have you tried running things from a different user account?

Yes, forgot to mention that. Yes, and when I boot up from the backup drive from one of the other mac minis all is ok, no hangs.

I wish I could help more but I'm still running Tiger because most of my machines are too old for Leopard.

It is clearly something to do with the particular install/machine since it works off your other drives. Maybe there is a logic board problem or something with the caches on that particular mini. Do you have an Apple Store anywhere near?

I wish I could help more but I'm still running Tiger because most of my machines are too old for Leopard.

It is clearly something to do with the particular install/machine since it works off your other drives. Maybe there is a logic board problem or something with the caches on that particular mini. Do you have an Apple Store anywhere near?

Yes, and they had if for a couple of days. The initial test showed a drive volume failure and not reparable, so they replaced the HD. When I got it back, I reinstalled and for a period of time the problem was gone, but the recent SL update brought it back. I just wish I could understand the console readings. They are quite cryptic.

There goes my theory ... I was about to say HD issue, but they replaced that already. So 10.6.3 installation brought back the issue. Just for giggles, I would try installing the combo update from the Apple website .... it could be that the update didn't like the install that was placed on the new drive. Or, it could be the 2nd HD has gone bad already ( studies have shown that about 10% of all HD's fail within 30 days ). Try running Verify Disk in Disk Utility and see what it says.

There goes my theory ... I was about to say HD issue, but they replaced that already. So 10.6.3 installation brought back the issue. Just for giggles, I would try installing the combo update from the Apple website .... it could be that the update didn't like the install that was placed on the new drive. Or, it could be the 2nd HD has gone bad already ( studies have shown that about 10% of all HD's fail within 30 days ). Try running Verify Disk in Disk Utility and see what it says.

Did run the verify. Someone at a Independent Mac facility (Chesa Systems in Balt., M.D.) also suggest the combo update. I will try that tonight. (Fingers crossed)

I can now report that doing an install from the discs that came with the mac-mini (which did not offer a choice of style of load i.e. archive and install or full install) did the trick. I did have all my programs and profile intact. I have been running 2 days now with the same programs and devices connected and all is ok.

Archive and install is no longer an option on snow leopard. They've merged the archive and install process with the upgrade process, so you get a kind of hybrid when you just click on install. You also have the option of erasing your disk in disk utility first which will obviously give you a clean install.

for the Macs that I'm running Final Cut Pro (or any other production tools) I've reverted to 10.5.x. I found a few issues with the 10.6 that affected my workflow. if I get a new Mac then I'll have to deal with the Snow Kitty. until then it's the Kitty I know.