Sign in to follow this  
Luke1138

iTunes 5.0

I think that this big release needs a topic of it's own :wink:

New Interface, that I really enjoy, and one new feature that i like

is the Smart Shuffle, that alows you to control how the shuffle will shuffle :?

he-he

So what do You think about this new release?

I'm at work on a PC right now, so I can't download it. But, all of the pictures of it on the Apple website are of the PC version of iTunes. What changed in the interface?

everything is more square like and the brushed metal look is more refined.

everything is more square like and the brushed metal look is more refined.

I wouldn't even call it brushed metal. It's almost like a hybrid between Brushed Metal and Unified like in Mail... but it isn't quite either one. I certainly like it though... I wonder if this is how all brushed metal apps will look in the future when Leopard comes along.

Here's a screenshot for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Click for full image:

itunes5thumb.png

I wouldn't even call it brushed metal.  It's almost like a hybrid between Brushed Metal and Unified like in Mail... but it isn't quite either one.  I certainly like it though... I wonder if this is how all brushed metal apps will look in the future when Leopard comes along.

Hmm... I'm not sure wether that looks appealing or not... I don't really like the square look for the status window. But you're right adamf, the Brushed/Unified look is pretty cool. The little tick marks for the progress bar are kinda neat, too. Thanks for the picture, though. I'll be sure to download it when I get home tonight.

I really like the new slim look! very fresh. I like the more room Apple has given to the display window at the top.

Yes, I like the new look too. I've always thought that the old interface took up too real estate on my screen. This seems more compact and better looking.

Same old podcasting functionality, though....

I have an iMac G4 running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.2 and I can't seem to get itunes 5 to install, ive tried downloading the dmg from apple and used software update but i keep getting the message window below:

error.png

is anyone else experiencing this?

Have you actually closed iTunes down altogether, rather than just closing the main iTunes window, and also closed down any other programs that may interact with iTunes, like the iTunes Widget ??

Yeah everything associated with itunes is quit, evven safari and piquantmenu, but still i get the error

Well, I've just downloaded the new iTunes, and it seems pretty cool, especially when considering screen real estate, like you guys mentioned before. I just hope they release new iPod software to coincide with it. I would love to have my Playlist folders show up on my iPod. That would be awesome.

I'm having a problem similar to marcjali's. I run Windows XP, and iTunes won't run. I've tried reinstalling it a couple times, but it doesn't work...

Hey all...

I'm having problems with my iTunes now after updating as none of my music was there! But after adding it to my library, I then had all of the Podcasts in the wrong place and I realized all of my Playlists, including all of my play counts!!!!!! How can i fix this, does any one have any idea???

But isn't the interface cool.... and i'm sure the visualizations have changed!

Cheers

Mo

I have an iMac G4 running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.2 and I can't seem to get itunes 5 to install, ive tried downloading the dmg from apple and used software update but i keep getting the message window below:

error.png

I have had several reports like this. The issue seems to be with any iTunes "helper" applications you may have installed. Specifically Silling Keys. Turn any apps like this off before attempting to upgrade and it should work.

I really like the new interface. Almost like a plastic, buttonie, almost aqua feel to it. I've noticed they are also using the same effects on their quicktime site.

Does anyone think that this new look (in lieu of brushed metal) is the way things are headed as far as interface is concerned? Could this be the new look of apps in Leopard?

Does anyone think that this new look (in lieu of brushed metal) is the way things are headed as far as interface is concerned? Could this be the new look of apps in Leopard?

Yes.

error.png

I had a simaler problem only it was being caused by sizzling keys 4. Try restarting your comp and hold down the shift key untill you have finished logging it.

Now for my problem. I am on my 700mgz emac 384ram, 10.2.8 and something is wrong with my album artwork. itunes_5.jpg(if it says something about remote linking, try reloading or going to http://ipodb.8m.com/photo.html)

As is visible in the picture, it says that the album artwork is not modifiable (and its one of my favorite playlists too!)(its should display the image in my signature), but yet when i look at the info for the song, it shows up. any ideas? do you think apple is finally, slowly ditching 10.2.8?

UPDATE, it only has this problem if your looking at the album artwork is in the now playing mode.

In terms of the problem installing iTunes and getting the message, "Please quit iTunes before beginning this update," I ran into this problem too. I tried moving prefs around, downloading the package and installing that way, all to no avail. I finally found the solution on the Apple Web site here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302322

Basically, the problem comes for people running SizzlingKeys. The workaround is to stop SizzlingKeys from within System Preferences and then run the iTunes installer (or Software Update). Once I did this and got iTunes 5 installed, I turned SizzlingKeys back on and so far have had no issues.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Bascom

I installed iTunes 5.0 on my 1.6GHz G5. Couldn't get it to launch. I booted off my Tiger CD, repaired my permissions, reinstalled iTunes 5.0, and all was fine. My iPod wasn't being recognized, though, so I reset it by hold the Menu and Play/Pause button until the Apple logo appear.

First off let me say what's up my fellow maccasters being my first post and all.

As far as iTunes5 goes I think it looks like a windows program with the almost squared off corners and rectangular status screen. Even if you take Mail in Tiger the corners are more rounded off. I don't get it. The other thing that is weird is the two tone color in the status screen. I also prefer the brushed metal as opposed to more solid grey. Other than that I like the new slim downed look and the folders. I'm also still dissapointed that they cannot seem to implement gapless playback.

Overall, I like iTunes 5, especially the new folder feature. One thing that I do not like is the borderless window. It does make it look more like a Windows application. I liked the iTunes 4.9 look in that respect.

One thing that I noticed is that you can choose a folder as a playlist in a Smart Playlist setup, but you cannot choose a folder in the iPod sync preferences to have it sync all the playlists in a folder. I guess that is due to the fact that the new iPod updater is not for the older model iPods.

Although the new features are uniformly very welcomed, I really don't like the new look. The flat gray graidation, the squared off edges, the borderless sides, all just make me wish for the amazing iTunes 4 design. Sure iTunes 5 looks more like Mail 2.0 now, but not too many were happy with that design revision either. Seems like Apple is not paying attention to us when it comes to design choices. :(

Although the new features are uniformly very welcomed, I really don't like the new look.  The flat gray graidation, the squared off edges, the borderless sides, all just make me wish for the amazing iTunes 4 design.  Sure iTunes 5 looks more like Mail 2.0 now, but not too many were happy with that design revision either.  Seems like Apple is not paying attention to us when it comes to design choices.   :(

Paying attention to who? A lot of people hate brushed metal.

On a side note, borderless windows are the opposite of Windows XP which has borders on every single window.

Anyways, my opinion is that the new design of iTunes will be the future look of all brushed metal windows. Think about it, didn't iTunes pioneer the brushed metal design to begin with? I think it's pioneering another design now.