macboer

ipod touch with 3G

Now that the iPad will have 3G do you think they will bring out an iPod with 3G connection?

I want to say yes (cause it will be awesome) but how will it affect the iPhone?

That's all.

I don't see the use case, so I doubt it.

You'll find the answer between the chimneys top-left here - though you may need to go elsewhere to get a proper look - and don't look at the link on a non-Intel box as it'll hammer it. Hmmm... that reminds me of a Pink Floyd video. Don't mention the wall. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

I Think Apple already makes an iPod Touch with 3G connection .... they call it the iPhone. Seriously though, an iPod Touch with 3G would be exactly the same as a iPhone except for a camera, earpiece and Mic on the device ( not on the headphones ). Plus, I can't see AT&T or even Verizon offering contracts for a device that would obviously be used for VOIP and thus cut into their phone service contracts. Unless they priced this contracts the same as the phone plan ... but if they did, again why not just get an iPhone ?

I Think Apple already makes an iPod Touch with 3G connection .... they call it the iPhone. Seriously though, an iPod Touch with 3G would be exactly the same as a iPhone except for a camera, earpiece and Mic on the device ( not on the headphones ). Plus, I can't see AT&T or even Verizon offering contracts for a device that would obviously be used for VOIP and thus cut into their phone service contracts. Unless they priced this contracts the same as the phone plan ... but if they did, again why not just get an iPhone ?

I want to say, "watch this space." What other path is there for Apple. They will have to do something like this in the future unless wifi will be available everywhere.

why not iPhone = whatever reason: already have a phone, cheaper(?), can't really think of more reasons but think there might be more... :P

ps.This post comes from a person who lives in a country with very little wifi coverage and sky high bandwidth prices. But it doesn't cripple me to think of what the future for Apple's iPod's might/will be...or does it :P

I want to say, "watch this space." What other path is there for Apple. They will have to do something like this in the future unless wifi will be available everywhere.

No, they don't. Like I said before, they already sell an iPod touch with 3G ... plus it is a phone. Selling an iPod touch with a similar 3G contract price as the iPad would make the iPhone obsolete. RE: If you could buy a device that similar to the iPhone that could now make VOIP calls ( via Skype ) everywhere there is 3G, which offered a $30/mo unlimited plan, why would you buy an iPhone which costs $90/mo for 3G coverage ? Apple would never want to make the iPhone obsolete and NO cel carrier is going to offer service to a device which may threaten the entire current cell phone market paradigm.

Yeah, it would be wonderful for everyone if they did, but you are thinking like a consumer not a business.

if you look at demographics by age you find that older people talk and younger people don't. we are already seeing "minutes" start to disappear into "unlimited" plans or have so many minutes that you'd never use them all. my own phone use has dropped dramatically. a decade ago there was a chance that I might go over my "minutes". but today my talk time is less then an hour every month. last month I talked for 12 minutes total. I use the phone part of the iPhone so little that I'm starting to question the need to have it. sadly, you have to have a plan to send TXT messages so I'm stuck with it for the near future.

I still think we will see an ipod touch with 3g capability in near future.

The iPad will indeed compete with iphone in some regard in near future.

One thing that strikes me odd about that "patent" .... Apple went to great lengths to develop technology to place the "antenna" around the outside of the iPhone so as to avoid those "pesky" antenna bumps on the phone. This design only encountered problems when held in a certain way by one hand to the ear. Why then, would Apple apply for a patent placing an "antenna bump" on the top of the laptop screen, or even a magnetic add-on, when they could easily employ the same "wrap-around" technology as the iphone on a device which, unless you are a giant, would never be held in one hand to the ear anyway ?

Another thing to consider is why would Apple, a company obsessed with design of making their devices thinner and smaller, want to employ a design that would increase the thickness of the screen casing ?

You have to realize that less than 1/3 of all patents approved actually make it to production ... and that sometimes patents are used like fake baseball signals ... they are designed merely to throw off or mess with the competition ... and that the most amazing ideas Apple comes up with are never found out about ahead of time. Remember just a couple months ago when that poor Apple Employee lost his iPhone 4 and Gizmodo got ahold of it? At first many thought it a hoax on Gizmodo's part because the design was so radically different than previous iPhones. It could just be, if this story's source is accurate, that Apple is pulling a Roddy Piper ... just when you think you have all the answers, THEY change the questions.

Edited by Dolphbucs

patents are tricky birds. I've compared lots of patent drawings to actual products and have often found that neither really match. why? the requirements of a patent drawing require things to be spelled out in a specific way. sometimes a filing looks intentionally vague or mysteriously broad in scope. the wording of a patent often reads like a children's book. you can't use engineering or specific to a field language for a description. which is why stuff gets past through that isn't much more than a "linked list", "quick sort" or "index'd table" because the simplistic language can hide that which is obvious.

just because it's big and in a specific position on a patent doesn't mean that's were it has to be on the real product. think of it this way: this is how it works and this is what we did to make it work.

All good points, John ... but I still say that Patent Filed does not always ( in fact more often not ) result in product achieved. There are lots of other reasons to file a patent other than just to produce the product.

of course. creating patents is part of the development process. there is always IP to file no matter how trivial.