Sign in to follow this  
zeal

Does Time machine reset in the new year?

Hi just wondering about this

My TM only goes back to the start of January 2010. I am backing up to a TM drive that has about 541 gig used out of a Terabyte drive. so lots of space left (389 gig). I got my Mac Pro back in February of 2009. So I should be close to 6-8 or 9 months of data backed up. Why the cut off of data prior to 2010. I should be seeing the Fall of 2009 for my oldest stuff. Any ideas why this is happening. I am on a Mac Pro. Running 10.5.8.

thanks in advance for any ideas.

Edited by zeal

I noticed this on my machine also but I just assumed I had at one point used up all my HD space and it deleted the oldest backups. Have you entered TM to see if copies of files older than 1/1/2010 are still there ? Maybe just the date showing on the TM pref screen was changed ?

I noticed this on my machine also but I just assumed I had at one point used up all my HD space and it deleted the oldest backups. Have you entered TM to see if copies of files older than 1/1/2010 are still there ? Maybe just the date showing on the TM pref screen was changed ?

I cannot see any time machine backups older than January. The oldest date in Time machine is January 10th 2010.

Odd I have lots of space left. I do not understand.

That is odd. You would think that at the very least, if it were just a date issue ( the change of year triggered something ) the oldest backup would be closer to the beginning of the year ... say within the first week. I did a search on the Apple forums yesterday and did not find any threads on this issue. It could be something ( some glitch ) with your system. Hopefully somebody else here will have some insight.