Sign in to follow this  
joenspa

Are you happy?

joenspa    26

At first I wasn't going to get an iPad. My first thought was what am I going to do on it. I was hoping to see "Notebook" on it or maybe even Rapidweaver for blogging. It would be handy for spreadsheets at work, I have kind of an odd job where I need carry info with me. So anyway my question is for those of you that have one. Are you happy? What do you do on it and what have been your biggest disappointments. I know there are a million reviews out there but I am interested in you folks that actually use them and have for awhile. Not someone who got to use it for a day or two and make their living writing about it. Thanks.

mobilexile    0

I'm quite pleased with my iPad. Thus far I've used it to read books w Amazon Kindle Reader app, surf the web, watch TV and movies on Netfix & ABC app, read magazines w Zinio, check out the weather w Weather Bug, read comics w Marvel app, play games like Asphalt, do a little drawing w Doodle Buddy and read the news with BBC, New York Times, NPR and Wall Street Journal apps.

PROS

~ Simple to use -- my young son has no issues navigating the device.

~ Fast, beautiful web surfing experience. I believe Steve Jobs said it's surfing the web i a way you've never experienced. I think he's right.

~ INCREDIBLE battery life.

~ Typical Apple beautiful design.

~ News reader apps, especially the WSJ, are fantastic -- even better than a physical paper. Same to be said for magazines.

CONS

~ Price.

~ WSJ subscription is spendy.

Evan    0

I got the 32GB 3G iPad a week ago. So far I really love it. I use it mainly for Twitter and web browsing. But I have also done a fair amount Of gaming on it. I find typing on it to be a breeze and very enjoyable. I haven't done much ibooks reading with it, but I checked out the iBooks app and read a few pages, and it seems like it would definitely be something I could sit down and read for a few hours with no problem. When I first got the iPad I noticed the weight of it a bit, but after using it for a week I don't notice that any more, and it feels very nice in my hands. At first I was debating whether or not it was something I really needed, but after using it for a few days with it I am going to the iPad for web browsing instead of the MacBook, it's just a better experience IMO. The things that app developers are able to do with all this extras screen real estate is really quite amazing, I can really see this platform exploding over the next 6 months to a year. The iPad begs for an always active Internet connection. If I had a wifi inky model my views on the iPad would be very different, and I could see myself getting frustrated with a wifi only limitation. I just have the 250MB data plan for now. the other day I did about an hour of web browsing (no video, just regular web pages) and that used about 20MB of data. So the 250MB would go pretty quick, but if you only need it for an hour or two a week it should be enough. I give the ipad a thumbs up, and would recommend picking one up if you have the means.

bebe33    0

I just love mine. I have the 64gig 3G model.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and pretty much love everything about it.

Favourite things:

- reading books wherever and whenever. Kindle reader is great (we don't have a fully stocked Books store here yet)

- it is great to web surf on

- the keypad - I can almost touch type!

Frustrations:

- the screen looks a teensy bit fuzzy compared to my shiny new iPhone 4

- The Facebook app sucks

- can't think of anything else!

One problem I ran into straight after buying my iPad was that I couldn't get any decent content on it via my MacBook air which was completely full - no room for movies and TV shows, or even new apps really. The answer: buy a new Mac mini and sync it to that. An expensive week! So now my 10-year-old gets an upgrade from her iBook to the MacBook air, and I am using a desktop again for the first time in 10 years. The iPad fits in the gap between the mini and the iPhone perfectly IMHO.

R94N    3

Nice. I bet they'll update the iPad's screen sooner or later for the next model (which, let's face it, is going to come eventually), as the technology improves. Another load of Mac people, as I can see ;) My family has yet to convert to Macs, having still using Windows XP :(

bebe33    0

Nice. I bet they'll update the iPad's screen sooner or later for the next model (which, let's face it, is going to come eventually), as the technology improves. Another load of Mac people, as I can see ;) My family has yet to convert to Macs, having still using Windows XP :(

That will be the model they put the camera in ... And I'll be first in line for one, because I'm a sucker like that :rolleyes:

Edited by bebe33

R94N    3

That will be the model they put the camera in ... And I'll be first in line for one, because I'm a sucker like that :rolleyes:

Yeah, probably. And I bet it will be just as popular, but by them some rivals should be out i.e. various Windows and Android tablets as well.

I think only administrators can delete posts.

Edited by R94N

shooter2jim    0

This may ruffle a few feathers, but I'm less than enthused about the iPad. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed. Not about the device itself- oh, it's elegant and artfully stylish, typical of most Apple products, but that's about it. I've starting referring to it as my Seinfeld pad (it's a pad about nothing). It seems that every day, I find something new to complain about with it. First and most obvious, the lack of support for technologies like Flash and wmv playback. I know, I,know....I knew this going in, but it really has taken a while for the limitation to sink in. As a photographer, I cant just ignore the fact that Flash is pretty much the de-facto standard for photographers websites. And i do like the ability to listen to my favorite radio stations online every once in a while, which i cant do with the ipad. Not to mention the wmv email attachments I occasionally receive. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I sometimes get disappointed that Apple decides that they can be big enough to move the market. They got to this point by saying "yes we can do that, no problem", but now it's "we don't think consumers should do it this way or that way....and the rest of the web should bow to our wishes.".

Next, apps. With the iPhone and iPod Touch, the App Store was sort of a trial balloon for developers to market free and low cost apps, and Apple would make a little money. With the iPad, I think its become a full-blown revenue stream on which Apple is focused like a laser, even to the point of discouraging freebies. I heard Adam mention on the last podcast that magazine apps generally force you to download a new app for each new issue they publish...sometimes at a rate thats higher than the print version itself. Ridiculous. This is supposed to be the be-all end-all e-reader and the business model just doesn't make sense. Throw forthcoming iAds into the mix, and I'm thinking, "gee, I've paid $900 for a device so I can buy (and sometimes repurchase) apps so companies can bombard me with ads? And let's not forget that the iPad should be a "top tier" product, but was introduced as a technologically inferior product to the iPhone in every respect. They won't even let on as to a release date for the iOS 4 upgrade which came standard with the iPhone 4g. Not a very comforting feeling to someone who has shelled out a big chunk of change for this "revolutionary" new device.

Another complaint is that apps purchased for the smaller devices are not visually appealing, no matter what anyone says, and I don't think apple made it terribly easy for developers to scale for the iPad, hence the fees for iPad versions of apps I already purchased for the Touch. Another minor complaint is the size and weight of the device. I'd almost rather carry around a small MBP. I know it's not an iPhone but it really is just too large to keep by your side all the time, limiting its usefulness....unless you want to carry around a man-purse. Ehh, no thanks.

This is just my .02, but I just keep trying to justify the lofty cost of this device and I just cant seem to find a way to do it. I really hate to part ways with it but I'm right there on the doorstep.

R94N    3

This may ruffle a few feathers, but I'm less than enthused about the iPad. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed.

Hey, no, not at all. Not for me anyway. Everybody has complaints - nothing's perfect. I'm sad that your experience hasn't been the best :(

I have a wifi only model of the iPad, this is because before I purchased the iPad I already had a Mifi unit from 3UK, so there was no need for the additional cost. Personally I have no issues with my device. The whole family use this(probably more than I do), I have educational apps for the kids, puzzles etc for the wife.

I think its great I can just carry it around the house, I can organise emails, tweets and process tasks through omnifocus without having to sit and my main mac or carry my macbook pro around. For me a major win is taking it with me when I have to take the kids to their classes, dancing,football etc. I can work on blog posts/read books etc without the weight and bulkyness of a laptop, plus the battery life is very impressive

LDJessee00    0

Hello,

I got a 64g 3G model as a gift in May.

I have used it to watch video, but not a lot, mostly video podcasts and netflix.

I use it almost always on WiFi. 3G is more of an insurance, encase I want to use it and no 3G available. (I work for a University, so WiFi at home, at work)

I use Notes Plus and a Pogo stylus to take notes for meetings and classes. I love DropBox. I use Zino (NatGeo).

The battery is truly impressive! The bluetooth keyboard and a cheap plate stand make it an almost netbook.

I also have several art applications and settled on Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.

I keep finding apps that let me use it in new or better use it in ways I would not have thought.

WiFi only vs. 3G is really a personal choice (and budget) issue. If you want the 'insurance' of access beyond WiFi, it is not a big deal to do a month of wireless.

Hope this helps.

LDJ