Sign in to follow this  
RHCP

BIG Question - nano or shuffle

i skateboard a lot and want something with very little weight and was hoping today that a new shuffle would come out. However since it didn't and the prices didn't even drop, im pondering getting a new nano. If anyone has any feedback i would appreciate because i may go to the apple store tonight to get either one.

which should buy?

-thanks

I feel like the nanos are a little expensive considering the storage space you get... but they are neat. Tough call.

same price as a mini but ur right less storage

The Nano is perfect for jogging because it is flash based.

oh, i didnt know that. Does that mean it has the autofill feature like the shuffle?

The Nano is perfect for jogging because it is flash based.

Yeah it's really great, I love 'em, but I wish the price would come down to match the decrease in storage. But I suppose you could argue that solid state memory is more expensive than hard disks.

My vote is the Nano over the Shuffle as it holds & sync's photos too! Fantastic!

I'm not sure I follow the argument about lack of storage size on these mobile devices. Personally, I would prefer a smaller, more pocketable, solid state device, that held enough music for a few days, than a larger, bulkier, hard drive based iPod that holds enough music for a few lifetimes. I am also unsure as to why anyone would want to carry around a load of photos with them either. I have a mobile phone with a camera in it for the odd snapshot I need to take or keep. No - The nano gets my vote for sure. It is better looking than the Mini, smaller, with flash memory, colour screen and conventional controls. I think I will order one right now !! :D

My vote is the Nano over the Shuffle as it holds & sync's photos too! Fantastic!

yeah, I agree with this. Plus, as jorellh said, it's flash based. If I were skateboarding, that would be important to me because you might be reassured that if you were to drop it or something, chances are that it wouldn't break as easily as a hard drive based player with moving parts would. Also, out of the two, Nano has more room, so it means more songs. I'd say Nano.

Being flash based might have longer battery life too. But decreased size may counter that.

As much as I hate the shuffle.... in this case I would rather have the shuffle. I mean... what hurts more if you drop it. A Nano or a Shuffle?

i skateboard a lot and want something with very little weight and was hoping today that a new shuffle would come out. However since it didn't and the prices didn't even drop, im pondering getting a new nano. If anyone has any feedback i would appreciate because i may go to the apple store tonight to get either one.

which should buy?  

-thanks

well i skate and i must say i love my shuffle because it has no screen to scratch and you can praticly do anything without worrying about it so id say shuffle

As much as I hate the shuffle.... in this case I would rather have the shuffle.  I mean... what hurts more if you drop it.  A Nano or a Shuffle?

It probably doesn't hurt as much as dropping a mini because a nano weighs 58% less than a mini (less force on impact). From Apple.com and Google cache:

mini: 3.6 oz

nano: 1.5 oz

shuffle: 0.78 oz

by the way, the dimension comparisons are:

shuffle: 3.3 x 0.98 x 0.33 (inches)

nano: 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.27

mini: 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5

The nano is actually slimmer than a shuffle. I have a first generation mini which was 4GB for $250.

I am also unsure as to why anyone would want to carry around a load of photos with them either

I agree, even though I do haul around a chunk of my iPhoto library. I don't really use it, but, it's handy to show pics to people wherever you happen to be. I also agree that flash based is better because it should be much more durable. The capacity 'problem' is based on cost as flash (solid state) costs quite a bit more than comparable hard drives. Though, I don't really see it as a problem. I have a 1st Gen 5Gb that cost $349. The Nano has controls and a screen. Definitely gets my vote. I really have no need for one but I REALLY want one anyway. Just a matter of months before the 3rd party accessory folks add to usability.

I'd say with the gloss finish of the nano i'd say it'd be less painful to drop a shuffle. I like the shuffle too because you can also use it as a flash drive. On the other hand the nano is just an amazing piece of art that's too difficult to resist.

I say shuffle if you are gonna skate alot with it. The shuffle will take alot more abuse since it's got no screen to break. Plus what hurts more, breaking a 99 dollar player or a 200-250 dollar player. In any other case though i'd say the nano easily wins though.

well thanks for all the input. i ended up getting the nano because i just couldn't resist and ive been skating and biking multiple times and nothing yet has happened. i am especially reassured by the ars technica review posted by rhatta.

I think that i would rather crash on my shuffle than my nano. Its easier to justify dropping $100 to replace it when it DOES break. I already have a 20Gb fallen soldier due to a dirtbike accident. Broken collar bone, separated shoulder, three cracked ribs, $1000 in damage to the bike and the only thing I was mad about was the ipod.

Broken collar bone, separated shoulder, three cracked ribs, $1000 in damage to the bike and the only thing I was mad about was the ipod.

hahaha.... that's the best one sentence story i've ever heard. sorry about the iPod....