Huskermn

Tiger to Snow Leopard?

I have not moved to Leopard yet, let alone Snow Leopard. I just reserved my iPad and realized I'll need at least Leopard to use it. Since Snow Leopard is only an upgrade disk, how can I get there? Can't find copies of Leopard for sale.

As long as your system supports it, any copy of Snow Leopard will install on your machine. Technically (read: legally) the $29 Snow Leopard is for people who own Leopard and the $169 version that includes iLife/iWork '09 is for people like you who are on Tiger or previous. However, both versions are exactly the same and are full copies of the OS and will install on any machine that supports it. One of the benefits of not having "Registration Codes" like Windows requires. Heck, even the family license version and the single license version are the same disc (though I don't condone buying the single license for multiple computers).

If you are really looking for just going to Leopard then I think the only way to get those discs is eBay unfortunately. I say unfortunately because, as was brought to my attention by Leo Laporte's radio show the other day, people are asking outrageous prices on eBay. Thankfully, someone in the chat room (during Leo's radio show) was willing to send the caller his retail Leopard disc so he didn't have to buy one on eBay. Otherwise, Huskerman, I'm not sure where to buy Leopard. I'd gladly send you mine but my only copy of Leopard is from my MBP restore discs.

This is about all the help I can offer. My suggestion would be to just make the upgrade to Snow Leopard if you can.

Though, you may try Craigslist in your area.

Thanks much, AppleGeek for the offer. I don't think those disks would work on anything other than a MacBookPro and I probably will just buy the SnowLeopard Disks. If that doesn't work, the worst case scenario is I'll need to buy a new iMac (Oh darn).

Oh, I just re-read my post and I guess I did kinda make that sound weird. I wasn't actually offering you my discs because I know they will only work with a MacBook Pro (now I'm just sounding mean). But yeah, I would suggest just checking your system with the specs on Apple's site and see if you can run Snow Leopard. But as you hint, those 27 inch iMacs aren't exactly ugly machines ;).

I'm not sure what version of iLife/iWork you are running but I'm pretty sure that even the versions that came with Tiger will run under Snow Leopard. Might be worth checking out though if you are deciding between the $29 and $169 version of SnL.

I think I might have a solution .... PM sent to Husker.