Steamboatwillie

Need a recommendation, team management software

Hey Gang,

I am looking for software to allow me to assign and manage tasks from my team on the Mac. I am currently using a GTD app (The Hit List) which is really not made for that type of thing. Looking for some suggestions!

Many thanks in advance!

SW

Don't know of anything specific, but I believe you could build your own in Bento and have something you can use on Mac or iPhone/iPads.

bug tracking software can work for task management. a tool like Mantis or BugNet are open source making them easily changed over. but those aren't the only tools there are hundreds other bug bases that have been created. basically you change the word bug to task and tada task tool. the interesting thing about bug tracking software is that it automatically assumes that it's a team. when you write a bug or in this case a task you could assign it to anyone on the team. that task is emailed to that when the task is completed they can mark it as "done" then the original writer of the task can "close" task as completed once it's verified. most bug trackers let you add files, keep track of commentary and the tasks progress. I managed a documentation project using a bug tracker. of course I changed all the fields from bug related to writing related. it worked out really well.

I've used tools like ActiveCollab which is now a pay to run tool. Project Pier is the fork of that. newer tools like TeamBox which is just one of the hundreds of other tools that look like they have promise. the thing with this type of tool is that it assumes that you will change to fit the tool. very few of these programs will change to fit the way you work.

the thing with these kinds of tools is that eventually you find you need a feature which means you either 1) get lucky because somebody else needed it so they wrote a plug-in or 2) you have to write it yourself.

speaking of 2) I did a survey of group Time Trackers recently as the one we use now (which somebody wrote specifically for the company) is showing it's age. I found all kinds of ideas of how not to track time. and only a few worked the way the group that I support kept time. fortunately there wasn't a need to set up and try every tool. most everything I looked at had a demo.

which is one thing that you have to do is try it yourself. me telling you, "I really like XYZ planner" is only half of your battle. you can't trust me to know how your business works. which is why I roll my eyes every time somebody blindly suggest "use BASEcamp!!" right. if you've ever used that tool you'll find it to be the work of a mad mad who has a really twisted idea of project management. don't get hoodwinked by this mindless cult. always do your homework.

Edited by johnfoster

Basecamp from 37signals could be your answer. Of course you'd need to get everyone else using it, it's not clear whether your looking for a team solution or something for personal use.

AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.. basecamp. another blind recommendation. I am not attacking you but if you don't actually use BaseCamp you can't recommend it. I've used it and I cannot.

the very thing with team management software is that it has to work with the way that you already work otherwise the software will get in the way of real work. if it's hard to use or has too many extra steps people won't use it. and then where is your project? by all means look at all the tools you can including basecamp. set them up with a real project for a trial but just poking around in it is not a real trial. identify tasks that you know don't work then model your evaluation off of that.