Sign in to follow this  
Garvice

Best External Hard Drive

Hello Fellow Mac Users,

I hope that it's okay to start a new thread about this. I'm new to this discussion board, but it has already helped me with so many little things.smile.gif

Anyway, my question is--I'm looking for an external hard drive that will help me back up my Macbook computer. Any suggestions? Previously, I was using a 2007 Western Digital Passport, but it suddenly stopped working. According to the Best Buy Geek Squad, it's too damaged...I would like something that would work well with Time Machine; a backup drive that wouldn't require me to backup the files by selecting them individually or in sets.

I've heard some good things about the G-Technology 500GB Mobile USB, but I don't know much about external hard drives. Is this worth the money?

Thanks in Advance,

Garvice2010

Edited by Garvice

Ok, the type of hard drive doesn't determine how easy the backup is. It's the software. As you're talking about time capsule (you do mean the little white box you buy that has a hard drive in rather than the software called time machine, right?), you should be all set to use time machine.

If you're talking about time machine itself, I tend to buy seagate drives at the moment. They've got 1tb ones for not much money at all.

[edit to fix a dumb typo]

Edited by Graham

Thanks, for the correction there--

I should've typed Time Machine. I'll look into Seagate!

Thanks,

Garvice2010

Ok, the type of hard drive doesn't determine how easy the backup is. It's the software. As you're talking about time capsule (you do mean the little white box you buy that has a hard drive in rather than the software called time machine, right?), you should be all se to use time machine.

If you're talking about time machine itself, I tend to buy seagate drives at the moment. They've got 1tb ones for not much money at all.

Edited by Garvice

Yeah, I have a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB and I love it. I do have a Lacie as well, but it is very noisy - I wouldn't recommend it.

G-Tech drives are very reliable but more economical options exist. Despite my love of the G-Tech drives I own I would urge you to take Graham's advice and look at Seagate options.

Yeah, we used to buy g-tech's (still do sometimes, but not often), but they're so freaking expensive, we can hardly ever justify it anymore.

Not to mention the allure of Seagate's 5-year warranty on many drives. Makes buying them a no brainer.

So, Seagate makes some external hard drives exclusively for Mac? Interesting. Let me know if there's a better version out there...

http://www.seagate.c...gent_gopro_mac/

Thanks again for the reassurance,

Garvice2010

Edited by Garvice

The only real difference between the regular seagate drives and the mac ones are that the mac models have firewire and the normal ones are generally usb only (plus the normal come formatted for Windows, but that's a two second fix in disk utility!). Depends on whether you want to pay more for the speed offered by firewire.

Some quick questions about USB and Firewire:

1.) How long is the typical USB cord that comes with the Seagate External Hard Drives? My Western Digital had a really short one cord. I would like the next one to have a bit more length.

2.) I don't have a Macbook Pro. Just the white Macbook that supports 400 Firewire connection. Does this make a difference with the new External Hard Drives? In other words, if I bought one that supports Firewire, would it even work? There is so much out there about Firewire 800, which I assume is a Macbook Pro feature.

I'm sorry to pester you (and everyone else) with all of my questions. I guess that I'm still reviewing the best options, space, and compatibility concerns.huh.gifI'm starting to feel like a Mac Newbie, despite previously owning an iBook. Oh well, I am still new to it in many ways...

Garvice2010

Edited by Garvice