mdkleinmd

iPhone battery backup

What is the best supplemental power source for the iPhone as I trek into the wild? I bought one of the solar chargers and it just did not work. Which one lasts the longest and really works?

without knowing exactly what "into the wild means" it's hard to really determine what's best. for example a car charger may be your best option. the car has plenty of standby power. and if you are traveling in it all day you just have to remember to plug in before you turn the ignition.

if you need to generate power there are lots of portable solar panels. but good ones are not cheap and they are heavy. also they aren't fast. you might need 3-4 hours of direct sunlight to fully charge a 1200mAh battery. this panel outputs 5W at 12V which will charge almost everything.

you could DIY that into a larger battery system. you just need a regulator circuit, a USB connector and a big rechargeable battery like from a laptop or camcorder. or just skip the regulator and hook up 5V-9Vs. the phone accepts a wide range of DC in.

one of the best ways to extend battery life is to shut off your phone when you aren't using it. I did that for my last weekend away. the place was remote enough that there was no point in a full time connection. especially when half of it was out of cell tower range. that's a sure way to drain away.

Edited by johnfoster

I have the denim bluepack S3. It's not one of the ones that plugs directly into the dock connector, but instead has a USB port on it to plug your iphone into. It's 2600mAh and I can charge my iPhone 3G from bottom to top twice with it. It also has an LED light build into it, which might come in handy at some point. I bought it through richardsolo.com

I use the MonoPrice battery pack, it's about $9 and will charge my 3Gs once fully and still have about half remaining on the battery pack.

http://tinyurl.com/yzmv4ee

roog