MacScott

Create Secure Ad-hoc Network for iPhone

I want to create a network for my iPhone to securely connect to the Internet AND be able to sync some apps while creating a secured network.

If I create a computer-to-computer network using Apple's AirPort preferences, I can create a network to allow apps to sync between the iPhone and my Mac but the iPhone cannot connect to the Internet.

If I allow Internet sharing with the iMac's AirPort so that the incoming AirPort connection will use the built in ethernet to connect to my cable modem to the Internet. However, this is not secure. The setup wants to use my computer name to identify the wireless network. The computer name is the same name used by the Windows NTLM that is used to share data on my home ethernet. I do not want to expose those Windows machines to the AirPort--it's hard enough to keep them secure, I don't need more problems!

I want to create a network with a different name than my Mac's assigned name that will not only allow me to sync apps (like Bento) but allow the iPhone to use that WiFi connection to use the Mac as a router to the Internet.

System: 27-inch iMac late 2009 version, 4Gb RAM, MacOS X 10.6.3, primarily connected to an ethernet network

Any help is appreciated!

Scott

When you go to the airport menu and click Create Network, you can type in whatever name you want, it just defaults to the name of your mac.

You can change the network name and security settings in System Prefs -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Airport Options.

20100513-exdjpigrp8ag9yhcaxupw51yau.jpg

you should buy a $30 wireless router, plug an ethernet cable into the LAN side, turn on WPA, give it whatever name your want for the SSID and your done.

Edited by johnfoster