R94N

Accents

R94N    3

Accents are really interesting to me....it always amazes me how they differ and how people pick them up - such as if I stayed in America for long enough I would eventually pick up the accent...

Just wanted to share that random thought :)

johnfoster    48

my introduction an older english women impression came from Monty Python and I was blown away that it was actually spot on.

Edited by johnfoster

rmsmits    0

Accents are really interesting to me....it always amazes me how they differ and how people pick them up - such as if I stayed in America for long enough I would eventually pick up the accent...

Just wanted to share that random thought :)

depends where in America you stayed – there are so many different accents in different regions – Boston, New York, Chicago, Midwest, South, West Coast, Texas, etc. Not only different accents but different words and terms for things that are very regional.

I moved from Chicago to Austin and and was somewhat amazed that people could pick up my "accent" which is slightly more nasal. By the way, most of what you hear on (American) TV is the Midwest sound which tends to be the most neutral. I can't back this up, but I've heard that National newscasters are trained to speak like someone from Peoria, Illinois.

Edited by rmsmits

R94N    3

depends where in America you stayed – there are so many different accents in different regions – Boston, New York, Chicago, Midwest, South, West Coast, Texas, etc. Not only different accents but different words and terms for things that are very regional.

Yes, here in Britain, although the accent doesn't really change, people from the west Midlands have a distinct accent, whilst different words are pronounced separately in different areas - for example 'bath' (stressing the 'a') and 'baath' (although it's not written like that, the 'a' is pronounced slightly differently).

pwbeninate    0

Don't come to America and pick up any of our accents. They are all rubbish. Like our cars. And our gov.... I'll stop now.

R94N    3

Don't come to America and pick up any of our accents. They are all rubbish. Like our cars. And our gov.... I'll stop now.

:D I'll have to say that some of your cars are awful!

I'm sure America is great!

Edited by R94N

R94N    3

Another thing....

There's another podcast I listen to called TechStuff, and one of the guys on the show did an impression of a British person. It really freaked me out! :D

pwbeninate    0

Kinda funny how Americans can't imitate a British accent, but Jeremy Clarkson can nail an American accent :P

R94N    3
:) I love that guy! Edited by R94N

themole    0

Being Scottish I have a distinct accent. However, some Swedish people, (I live in Sweden), say that I don't have a Scottish accent. That's because if I speak English I have slowed down my speech and pronounce my words a bit more clearly so they can understand. Give me a few days back in Scotland and I'll be back on track.

Not really accents but one of the reasons I like the maccast so much is because Adam doesn't shout and doesn't play American rock every five minutes as an "interlude". Why do so many American podcasters shout?

pwbeninate    0

Why do so many American podcasters shout?

I think they are trying to be like American radio broadcasters.... who shout.

bebe33    0

I think it's really funny that when I talk to Americans about accents, their point of reference is usually regional accents (I have a Brooklyn accent, etc), but most other people mean national accents.

When I was traveling in the US a couple of years ago, I had a hard time explaining to people there that to me, they all sounded like they were speaking with an accent, and I was the one who sounded normal in my head. Most people I spoke to could not get the idea that everyone has an accent as soon as they leave their own country. Why is this, do you think?

I have a New Zealand accent. Sometimes I can hear my own accent when I'm talking. It's indistinguishable from the Aussie accent to everyone except them and us. It kinda sounds a bit English, but less so ;)

R94N    3

LOL :D I always find it interesting how people pick them up and how they were created.

Edited by R94N