themole

Using the Apple brand in non Apple products

It's definitely not the first time I've seen this, but it's the first time I've bothered to scan it. Do companies do this because they feel Apple won't be bothered? Are they bothered? I wonder if I should send it to them. The advert was in a Swedish magazine and it's for a company selling floors.

appleadvertising1.jpg

Actually, it's called product placement. American companies pay thousands if not millions to have their products displayed in TV Shows and/or movies. As such, as long as a company doesn't try to charge Apple for the exposure, I don't see why Apple would mind.

Interesting side note: As some of you may know, I worked the Athens, Torino, and Bejing Olympics as a contractor for Kodak ( providing computer support to the accredited Photographers ). In Torino and Beijing, we had Apple working with us in the Kodak Imaging Center. During the games, while hanging out with the Apple people I learned of an incident which occurred at those games. Seems that many of the snowboarders, skiers, and speedskaters were using iPods during competition and/or warmups. As the games went on, more and more were being interviewed on air while still wearing or holding the devices. The IOC actually contacted Apple and wanted Apple to pay the IOC a fee for the publicity they were getting ( it's standard practice that if you are an Olympic Sponsor then only your brand can be made visible at the Olympic Games ... we even had to cover the Apple logos on the Powermacs we were using because Lenovo was the "Official Computer of the Olympic Games" ). Reportedly Jobs just laughed.

It's an interesting situation. Apple do pay large amounts of money to have their products prominently displayed in TV shows and movies. However, I don't know that they allow their products to be displayed in other companies advertisements...

I doubt very much that Apple paid to have the white MacBook placed in the white room with white sofa on a white floor. I also doubt that the girl was really eating an apple while using an Apple because an apple turns into a sticky mess that you wouldn't want near that fluffy white pillow or the track pad. it's very likely that the computer was an afterthought stuck there by the PA to get an alternate shot because the girl reading some random magazine was too specific to the demographic.

Edited by johnfoster

It's an interesting situation. Apple do pay large amounts of money to have their products prominently displayed in TV shows and movies. However, I don't know that they allow their products to be displayed in other companies advertisements...

I'm pretty sure they do. I'm almost positive I've seen Apple computers displayed in TV ads that were not from Apple. Maybe all that's required is permission from Apple which they give as long as it is not an objectionable ad.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Here in the UK they've just changed the regulations to allow product placement in commercial TV shows (i.e. non-BBC which gets its money from TV licences and things like that). So now in soap operas and things there can be people eating Walker's crisps and holding iPhones to their ears with their fingers deliberately not covering the Apple logo...

I see people on Apple computers everywhere on TV. DFS (a sofa company) and Argos have been the two main advertisers where I've seen Apple computers a lot.

As someone who has worked in the ad industry (well, doing tech support there!), most of the ad agencies use macs, so a lot of the time it's just a matter of shoving in whatever they have to hand - it just happens that they've got macs there.

One of the most goofy placements of a Mac here in the States is a commercial I see very often for SpeedUpMyPC (or something like that). I see it as mostly a scam anyway but they show people frustrated with how slow their PC has become and this 'product' does a scan or something and magically the persons iMac (not identified as such but clearly is) runs so much better. It's probably a registry cleaner or something but I laugh everytime I see the guy with the iMac.

We have a furniture store here in America called Pottery Barn. They frequently use Apple products in their catalogues, but always remove/obscure the Apple logo. I don't believe Apple is "ok" with unauthorized use of their branding, especially when it's used to promote another product/service.

For what it's worth, here is Apple's "image use agreement" for their press images:

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/imac/09imacfam_agreement.html

And here are their Trademark, Copyright and Intellectual Property guidelines:

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/

Edited by pwbeninate

All I know is that in my discussions with Apple employees in Beijing and Torino ( some of them who are quite high up in the company I might add ) they at least gave the impression that Apple had no problem with it ( granted none of these people worked for Apple Legal Dept ). And I do know I have seen commercials with macs in them that show the logo. That, added to my knowledge that Apple really wants the Apple logo displayed whenever possible ( they almost pulled out of Torino when TUROC insisted they cover the Apple logos as I mentioned above ) leads me to believe that they do allow it ( at least in certain cases ). Perhaps its just a situation where some companies, like Pottery Barn read the agreements and guidelines you cited and just don't bother with the hassle of contacting Apple for permission and those that do easily get approved ? I don't know. Pwbeninate, do you have any first or second hand knowledge of Apple prohibiting an advertiser from using their image ? Without some definitive case, we're all just speculating and theorizing based on other knowledge. Including me.

Edited by Dolphbucs

One of the most goofy placements of a Mac here in the States is a commercial I see very often for SpeedUpMyPC (or something like that). I see it as mostly a scam anyway but they show people frustrated with how slow their PC has become and this 'product' does a scan or something and magically the persons iMac (not identified as such but clearly is) runs so much better. It's probably a registry cleaner or something but I laugh everytime I see the guy with the iMac.

Sorry to reignite an old thread, but yeah, I have to agree. We have stuff like that here as well. With things like that they remove the Apple logo off the front of the iMac but it's obvious it is one. There's not really any another computers that look the same.