Sign in to follow this  
pds6

iTunes 5.0 upgrade - Be Aware!

I just upgraded to iTunes 5.0 and I have an issue with how it is working.

After installation (I also got the close iTunes message), I rebooted and found that my Podcasts were now in my "Library". Prior to 5.0, your Podcasts were not transfered to your permanent Library without your permission.

I want my MP3 music Library in one location and my Podcasts in another. Otherwise, you know your going to delete a song when you intended to just delete a Podcast. Furthermore, one of the best ways to find a new download is the fact that it has no star rating (just like all the Podcasts). I don't like Apple requiring my Podcasts be part of my permanent Library.

If I missed a check-box to delete the Podcasts from my Library, please tell me! Otherwise, it may be time to get my Podcasts from another source!

i am not sure if I have the same problem.

But first of all, all my iTunes subsciption are gone, just gone, and I had many podcasts I don't even remember them all, and I was not going to move to iPodderX because it would have taken quite some time tofind all the Podcasts and subscribe in iPodderX, but with the Podcasts in itunes all gone, I think I will switch.

The other thing is, iTunes 5 told me my library was corrupted and tried to recover it.

I have to say i haven't restarted yet., becuase ituens didn't tell me to do so.

Anyway now all my smart playlists which were based on othe rplaylists are fucked up. It says "I cannot find the playlists" or something similar anyway.

Design wise and stuff itunes 5 looks really nice, but I hate those problems.

...I rebooted and found that my Podcasts were now in my "Library".....

This happened to me as well. If, like me, you have iTunes delete your Podcasts after hearing them, you'll have to manually delete them from your Library to ensure they're off your iPod, and to ensure they're actually deleted from your Podcasts directory (on your HDD).

In version 4.9 of iTunes, this same thing happened to me when I accidently performed a FILE / ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY.

Steve

Hi,

iTunes 5 upgrade for me went smoothly and I have all my podcasts in the podcast directory. I have my podcasts preferences set to keep all at the moment & I manually delete them myself, since I am wanting to keep some episodes.

Not sure if this is relevant, however I have my iTunes library on another external drive.

well I do have my podcasts now, I added my iTuens music folder again to my library, by the added dates are still wrong, all from today, well, i am just glad, the ratings and last time played are still alright

I'm pretty sure that the podcasts are shown in the regular library by design. A lot of people were upset that podcasts weren't being working in Smart Playlists and such... so this solves it. But if you do Get Info on a podcast, and look under the Options tab, there's a new feature "Skip when shuffling". Checked by default on podcasts, so you won't have them come up when you're listening to regular music.

My podcast are now in the Artist, Albums, and Songs directory of my iPod since i mounted it to iTunes 5.0. Does anyone know how to just keep them in the podcast section on the iPod? Is anyone not having this issue? is this supposed to be better?

mike

Thanks punica888, i REALLY didn't want to have to re-subscribe to all my podcasts, and "re-adding" the iTunes Music folder worked.